DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Iceland drone videos

Chaplain Dave

Reactions
I love the drone footage from Iceland volcanos, but a question on it, are the fumes causing damage to the drones, ie corrosion?

I remember from science in school, by far the most abundant volcanic gas is water vapor.
Along with significant amounts of other gases . . . carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen sulfide and hydrogen halides.

Was pretty sure that at least SOME of those would be corrosive to metals, so had a google.

"Utility lines, communications equipment, farm machinery, vehicles, and other metal objects corrode when exposed to volcanic gases or acid rain."

They also mention there "they can also cause corrosion of aircraft surface materials and engines".

So yes if you flew a drone through the fumes it would likely do something harmful, I guess it depends how often, how long etc as to how quickly any corrosion might occur.

Reactions: Bxr532001
I remember from science in school, by far the most abundant volcanic gas is water vapor.
Along with significant amounts of other gases . . . carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen sulfide and hydrogen halides.

Was pretty sure that at least SOME of those would be corrosive to metals, so had a google.

"Utility lines, communications equipment, farm machinery, vehicles, and other metal objects corrode when exposed to volcanic gases or acid rain."

They also mention there "they can also cause corrosion of aircraft surface materials and engines".

So yes if you flew a drone through the fumes it would likely do something harmful, I guess it depends how often, how long etc as to how quickly any corrosion might occur.
The carbon dioxide can cause acid corrosion (HCl-hydrochloric acid), the sulfuric fumes can form sulfuric acid (H2SO4, etc.). Best to wipe down all parts of the drone with distilled water after the flight. (I took 4 years of chemistry in pharmacy school and a year in medical school).

Dale
Miami

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Glad most of the Iceland volcano videos, pilots seem to keep upwind of the action.
Though there is bound to be some exposure.
Well worth it for some of the monetised channels though, as these videos get masses of hits when they go viral.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143