DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ID to Law Enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me also but being it is MS and hot think I will just take my grand out to the pool and chill for awhile . :p
And also adding as you did to your post it might be a
good educational opportunity for the one thinking he don’t
have to show an ID to a LEO when asked in that scene as none or most
of us don’t want no issues. Now some do and it’s easy
here to know who they are and it wasn’t you.
Yeah I messed up and brought my iPad to the pool. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B and AMann
The operator of the UAS must carry a Certificate of Aircraft Registration and make it available to law enforcement upon request. Operators may verify registration by carrying a paper copy or by showing an electronic registration.”

we know what it says.

and if it says the drone pilot must turn over their equipment to law enforcement to be inspected upon request for airworthiness, you can either 1) do it or 2) not do it.

and if it says the drone pilot must allow law enforcement to confiscate the drone's microsd card upon request to verify the photos are legal (which i believe is coming), you can either 1) bend a knee or 2) stand up for your rights.

still haven't yet decided which one i'm going with. ?

If you are standing by a car door with a coat hanger that has been straightened it could reasonable be argued that it is justification to reasonably believe you are about to break into the car.
No. Possession of burglary tools is a crime. If I'm holding a large brick that could be used to break a window, I'd not be arrested.

And when you show you have that how is an LEO going to know it is really yours .
He's going to ask for a ID. Don't know about anywhere else but here for sure
but you're going to show it . If you don't Failure To Comply comes into my mind .
Then you open up a mess sure enough .
They can ask. You are not required to show unless you have commited a crime or suspected of committing one. You comply with the FAA rules as the _done_ is required to be registered and in the FAA database there is a name associated with that registration. What you have pointed out is the _HUGE_ issue with the registration that I have been commenting on since it was created. It does _NOTHING_. I'm not making that up. Everyday, every week, ever year that goes by further proves this point.

And when you show you have that how is an LEO going to know it is really yours .
He's going to ask for a ID. Don't know about anywhere else but here for sure
but you're going to show it . If you don't Failure To Comply comes into my mind .
Then you open up a mess sure enough .
JMO

here you go, the laws in your state for failure to obey a police officer, i believe this is it. i'm flying a drone in jackson city park and a jackson city police officer says show me your drone registration and i refuse. what crime am i committing and what statute will i be arrested under?

...And once your failure to comply happens, you get bracelets and a free PoPo UBER ride.

What a waste of everyone’s time and money, it’s easy enough to comply in a friendly way that might end up as a good educational opportunity for the LEO. I’d rather be flying than turning it into a bad day ...
So you'd be okay with the police stopping you everytime you leave a store and frisking you? How about stopping you because you are in a nice neighborhood that you don't look like you belong in? You'd have something to say then? Want to know why it does not happen any longer? It is because people stood up for their rights. You are free to give ID, that is your choice. But you might want to think about thanking some of the people who pushed back in order to protect your rights.

No. Possession of burglary tools is a crime. If I'm holding a large brick that could be used to break a window, I'd not be arrested.

no you will not be arrested because there is no probable cause. but you will be detained and that might involve the police investigating your actions in an attempt to establish probable cause. such an investigative detention can easily lead to many people ending up going to jail.

So you'd be okay with the police stopping you everytime you leave a store and frisking you? How about stopping you because you are in a nice neighborhood that you don't look like you belong in? You'd have something to say then? Want to know why it does not happen any longer? It is because people stood up for their rights. You are free to give ID, that is your choice. But you might want to think about thanking some of the people who pushed back in order to protect your rights.

most people don't even realize how they got their rights. they believe those rights were just given to them by the government. happens all the time. only a few people fight for the right and the rest of people standby and bend a knee but when the rights are won, who's the first person to swoop in and take full advantage of those new found freedoms? and not even a thank you.

story of my life. ?

We're getting a bit off topic folks. Don't derail this thread and cause it to get Shut Down.

I see feelings/tensions are getting tight Let's all take a deep breath and chill just a pinch.

This is the ONLY warning I'm going to give on this one . . .

no you will not be arrested because there is no probable cause. but you will be detained and that might involve the police investigating your actions in an attempt to establish probable cause. such an investigative detention can easily lead to many people ending up going to jail.
You may want to looked into the laws. I'll just mention that you can only be detailed if you are suspected of _commiting_ a crime, not because you look like you might commit one. If you feel like you have nothing better to do and want to stick around while being asked questions, that is your right.

Reactions: TR Ganey
You may want to looked into the laws. I'll just mention that you can only be detailed if you are suspected of _commiting_ a crime, not because you look like you might commit one. If you feel like you have nothing better to do and want to stick around while being asked questions, that is your right.

of course not, looking like you might commit [a crime] is not ras.
i would love to leave too but if you are detained, even if illegally, i'm not finding anything in the law that says you are allowed to just walk away.

to answer the op question, if the police detain me, i will likely end up providing id and registration if demanded.
if they do not detain me, then i will not voluntarily provide id and registration.
in other words, i will follow the laws exactly as i know them.
much different answer when approached by faa or federal officer.
hope this helps answer your questions.

Reactions: remotepilot
to answer the op question, if the police detain me, i will likely end up providing id and registration if demanded.
if they do not detain me, then i will not voluntarily provide id and registration.
in other words, i will follow the laws exactly as i know them.
much different answer when approached by faa or federal officer.
hope this helps answer your questions.
It is the same for both. The FAA has granted permission for any local law enforcement official to gather the registration information and submit it to the FAA.

No. I actually had an itch on my back that I couldn't reach and was going to use the straightened coat hanger to scratch my back.

It is the same for both. The FAA has granted permission for any local law enforcement official to gather the registration information and submit it to the FAA.

What was the original crime? Have read most posts, cant come across it.
I doubt the majority of LEO's (they do have crimes outside of drone flyers) know what a FAA 107 ID is, so i wouldn't whip it out before asked and before Normal ID, unless your keen to show the LEO's what a responsible citizen you are, before it's
necessary.

It's easy to say what you would do in a forum, but I think some of these, like this one apparently, 'interactions' are forum
food/An excuse to go on about your rights.

Honestly, how many people here have ever been approached by a LEO while flying a drone?
That rhetorical for this thread btw

It makes no difference what US state or territory you are in..... You are NEVER required to talk to law enforcement if you don’t want to... Period! There are no exceptions to this. This universal legal fact is always lost in these discussions.

Guess the fact that you can legally resist unlawful arrest up to and including lethal force is lost in these discussions most times also. As law abiding citizens we don't want any issues and all too often go along to get along. It would really be good if the academy was as interested in teaching recruits to respect folks rights as they are in teaching them how to circumvent those same rights. jes my personal opinion and before anyone gets too bent out of shape over it I have been a L.E.O. for over 20yrs. Simple respect is a two way street and goes a long ways.

officer, you are asking/requesting my id and registration?
no thanks, i respectfully decline.
am i free to go?
they can either say "yes" in which case they are also being respectful or they can say "no" which is likely turning into an unlawful detainment and at that point probably lost all my respect.

not sure how much more respectful i can be? i really don't equate cooperation and respect as the same. the op asked the question and the answer still stands. if you voluntarily provide your information, you could easily get a summons in the mail weeks later for pretty much anything they decide to charge you with after reviewing the totality of the circumstances. maybe they decided to refer it to the county prosecutor who then filed charges, maybe they started talking it over at the station with the watch commander who got irritated about the last drone guy he met, maybe someone was reading the "incident" report and started getting concerned this didn't look right to him; maybe someone did a search for drone in the database and your name was on a list....twice.

if this doesn't bother you, that's ok, too. because i know some people show up at the police station and talk it thru with the police before they fly. if that works for you and that's what it takes, it's all good. absolutely won't work out for me; i don't have that option so i have to do something different and take my chances. but the bottom line is you don't want your name on a report or in a database or associated with any consensual lawful activity if you can help it; it doesn't help. tell them to call you "good citizen." :)

Reactions: DroningOn
Well said kensteele

I posted this in the other thread, I’m going to cut and paste it here:

“Now... to all those “if you aren’t guilty of anything” people out there. People need to understand the world today. What do you think happens when LE gets your ID and walks back to his car? You think he grabs his mic and calls in “wants and warrants” like an old TV show? No. Your information and circumstances of the interaction is entered into a database that is retained and distributed among countless law-enforcement and various other government agencies.
To those of you who do not care about such things, more power to you but stop demonizing those of us who do feel it is important and value our privacy”

Speaking for myself, and hopefully others, I’m not interested in “causing trouble“ or becoming a “bad ambassador“ for the drone hobby. I’m pointing out that there are rules that need to be followed by the authorities and there are real consequences to a seemingly innocuous “Show me your ID“ request buy a sworn law-enforcement officer. When possible, I choose to exercise the protections that are afforded me by law. Like it was so eloquently stated in the previous post, if somebody chooses not to that is your choice and I am not going to criticize you. All I/we ask is that you give me/us the same consideration.

Reactions: TR Ganey
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada