DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Idiot-of-the-Year contest is over---I WIN!

Crash-a-lot

Reactions
Some days nothing goes right. My Smart Controller said the compass needed to be calibrated so I refreshed my memory about holding it horizontally and turning around then do the same holding it vertically. So I went outside and holding it horizontally, I turned around once and nothing happened. I did it again, still nothing. I tried it vertically and still nothing. As I was standing there wondering what was wrong, it suddenly occurred to me that the drone was still inside on the table and I was going around with the controller. I went and got drone and a minute later the compass was calibrated and I had remembered some words that I had forgotten and said some of them. ........Don't break anything laughing...........

Too funny, we all have senior moments now and again. Being able to laugh at ourselves makes it all worth it.

Yeah well..I can think of no less than 100 post on here that would steal your glory about every day. The big problem is that you missed the part where the SC said it needed calibrated...when indeed it was the Fly App reporting not the SC. The Fly App reports ONLY the aircraft, I guess the yureka moment should have been it was indeed showing the aircraft on your display?. Lesson learned and you move on. A smart person makes mistakes and learns from them. A stupid person (Idiot) constantly makes the same mistakes... I'm voting you are the former, no trophy for you :)

Last edited:
The ability to self-deprecate is a valuable trait. Your story is humorous, and makes us all remember we’re human. You’re certainly no idiot.

An idiot would do what you did, and post a question asking why the Smart Controller won’t calibrate correctly, and then argue with responders who are trying to set them straight. They exist so we can laugh at more than just ourselves.

If it makes you feel any better the other day I tried every diagnostic I could think of, found more on line, and for the life of me couldn't get my controller and MA2 to connect. I didn't want to re-pair for fear of losing some setting or having another drone show in the flightless but other than that I did everything. I beat my head against the wall for at least a half an hour. Finally I grabbed my Mini2 and controller to see if that had the same problem. Nope. I'd switched controllers when I put everything away. And yes, I have my RC and AC named clear as day but didn't notice the stickers didn't match up. Big old 3/8" Alpha and Omega labels

Well if this is going to be the thread of....."Duh!"

Then here is my entry:

I had a location shoot the next day in a town about 50 miles away. I unpacked my travel case and then took inventory. I plugged in my flight batteries to top off. Then plugged in my Smart Controller to do the same. I used a standard phone USB charger but I didn't have any lights. I had used a fickle outlet, so I went to another and plugged in, still nothing. I swapped cords and nothing... I dug through some drawers of stuff and found the high output factory USB charger for it and plugged in...Nada. I started freaking out that Somehow I screwed up the USB-C port. I then decided that I would hook it to my computer to Asst. 2 to check if I had data connection or I had lost the whole port. I turned it on and it immediately connected. I was baffled as to why it wouldn't take a charge, but knew it had enough to complete the next day.

Then...my Eureka moment...

Duh...it wouldn't charge because it already had a full charge.. as I had just turned it on for that little bit to check Asst. 2. I then plugged it back in to the USB and sure enough the charge lights cycled to charge mode it took just that little bit to drain to allow it to top off again. :rolleyes: I forgot that after the flights that previous time a week earlier that I had charged it up an put it back in it's case. :p

Last edited:
Some days nothing goes right. My Smart Controller said the compass needed to be calibrated so I refreshed my memory about holding it horizontally and turning around then do the same holding it vertically. So I went outside and holding it horizontally, I turned around once and nothing happened. I did it again, still nothing. I tried it vertically and still nothing. As I was standing there wondering what was wrong, it suddenly occurred to me that the drone was still inside on the table and I was going around with the controller. I went and got drone and a minute later the compass was calibrated and I had remembered some words that I had forgotten and said some of them. ........Don't break anything laughing...........
Thats funny, thanks for sharing. I hope your next issue isn't your member name.

Nothing wrong with that my friend, we've all done things similar if
not worse. I'm taking it by your member name you have more than
one drone. ???

You're in good company!

The year is still young. One of us will beat you on that honor.

If it makes you feel any better the other day I tried every diagnostic I could think of, found more on line, and for the life of me couldn't get my controller and MA2 to connect. I didn't want to re-pair for fear of losing some setting or having another drone show in the flightless but other than that I did everything. I beat my head against the wall for at least a half an hour. Finally I grabbed my Mini2 and controller to see if that had the same problem. Nope. I'd switched controllers when I put everything away. And yes, I have my RC and AC named clear as day but didn't notice the stickers didn't match up. Big old 3/8" Alpha and Omega labels
I feel better now..................Thanks............

Nothing wrong with that my friend, we've all done things similar if
not worse. I'm taking it by your member name you have more than
one drone. ???
No, I used to like to fly whenever the Navy didn't have my attention. Before I got my license I used to 'ride along' with the pilots in anything that had 2 seats. In 5 flights it ended up in being a one way trip. After #5 ended badly somebody said I should find a safer hobby so I took up riding Harleys.

Last edited:
I always said the older I get the better the stories and longer they get.

I think God is making sure I have fresh material and it looks like you have another fresh one.

You gotta laugh because crying will get you wet.

Here is one to make you laugh @Crash-a-lot -- Once I was looking for my glasses, needed them to drive - couldnt find them anywhere. Looked for like 20 minutes, nothing. When walking into my living room a piece of junk mail had fallen from the table onto the floor, I bent over to pick it up and my glasses fell off the top of my head onto the floor. LOL - We all have our moments -- thanks for the laugh @Crash-a-lot

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet