DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If price wasn't the issue- MA2 or M2Z or M2P?

For those saying most people won't be able to tell the difference with the M2P camera, this is an example from a while back with a couple of stops pulled back in the shadows which you can't get near on a small sensor:

i-rMRgN74-X2.png

If you don't process raw files and shoot jpeg only you won't see this advantage but for those that do, there's a very noticeable advantage from the 1in sensor.
Wowza!

Reactions: bottomsup
If today you were granted a gift certificate for a drone and you could choose between the Mavic Air 2, the Mavice 2 Zoom or Mavic 2 Pro, which would you choose... but more importantly, why? [please be as specific as possible]

Why the question posed this way? Having gotten my feet wet with the Mavic Mini, I anticipate that in the next 12 months I would be wanting to move up to the next level (or two) of drone. I love my Mini, but because of it's light weight due to wind conditions I find myself not flying on days that any of the above drones would have no issues in. Or, on days when I can fly when I get up to or just over 150 feet I get strong wind warnings that limit what I can do. Obviously having 4k resolution wouldn't hurt things one bit.

I suspect that in the next few months DJI will come out with the Mavic 3 and there might be some discounting of the Mavic 2's. I dunno, just speculating. Some folks say that the image from the Mavic Air 2 is as good or better than the M2's without a lot of post production work. I have no idea. Perhaps someone here can provide some insight. TIA
I am pretty much in the same position as you. I’ve had the mini 5 weeks and, while I love it, I’ve been fantasizing about the next drone. And just like yourself, I’m gonna try to not move up until about the year mark.

Based on my research, at this point I would buy the MA2 but if money wasn’t an issue it would be the M2P. More can be done with the M2P camera and I would learn more as a photographer, particularly in editing. I also like the idea of more stability in wind because that is an issue where I live.

I know I will be happy with the Air 2 when the time comes however.

M2P.... it's what I own and I'd buy again. For me I wanted the better camera. I initially had a Mavic Air, sold that with the goal of buying an M2Z, even though i knew I really wanted the M2P.

MA2 was announced, pre-ordered, but a couple delays and the nagging that I wanted the M2P caused me to cancel the pre-order and go with what I wanted.

Yes if money was not an problem I would go for M2P.
Sensor all around would be a number one for me.
Then the camera.

I am finding out that most of the best pics and video I have seen has been perfected in post production. Of course it takes a good camera to capture the raw material for those vibrant pics putting that information to use is a whole other skill that I am not ready to delve into yet. If the price point had been closer I would have went with the pro, but for me the sensors set it apart from the air which was my first choice. I am quite happy with my zoom and the pics/video it takes without computer correction.

WDK

Good to know about low light. I tend to shoot at golden hour anyway. But I'm far too new at this to know how this will develop.
I also shoot a lot in Golden Hour. Sadly I’ve found that the MA2 camera struggles in those low light conditions. The next drone I buy will be a MP3.

Hey there, thought I'd weigh in on this one. I have a mini and an air 2. The mini is great, but the wind issue would prevent me from buying it again. For me, the choice is between the air 2 and the 2 pro. Although the full frame of the M2P is tempting, it's about convenience as well. If you want professional results the 1" sensor will do it but you might spend more time in post to get it there. If that's your thing then by all means you can't go wrong. I think if you just want to take pictures and video that look great right out of the camera, the air 2 actually does that a little better. Plus if stills is your thing the air 2 has a higher pixel count.
So, free bird of choice? I'd go M2P, sell it, buy an air 2 and go on vacation with the extra cashola.

If today you were granted a gift certificate for a drone and you could choose between the Mavic Air 2, the Mavice 2 Zoom or Mavic 2 Pro, which would you choose... but more importantly, why? [please be as specific as possible]

Why the question posed this way? Having gotten my feet wet with the Mavic Mini, I anticipate that in the next 12 months I would be wanting to move up to the next level (or two) of drone. I love my Mini, but because of it's light weight due to wind conditions I find myself not flying on days that any of the above drones would have no issues in. Or, on days when I can fly when I get up to or just over 150 feet I get strong wind warnings that limit what I can do. Obviously having 4k resolution wouldn't hurt things one bit.

I suspect that in the next few months DJI will come out with the Mavic 3 and there might be some discounting of the Mavic 2's. I dunno, just speculating. Some folks say that the image from the Mavic Air 2 is as good or better than the M2's without a lot of post production work. I have no idea. Perhaps someone here can provide some insight. TIA

Reactions: Tetrad
I’d choose the MP2, better Camera, a little more stabile in wind and DJI Go4 was more preferable for me. I am pretty happy with my Air 2 right now but if I had the extra money and it didn’t matter I would have preferred the Pro 2.

I’m still a rookie noob, but I had a M2Z for a year, and whenever I went outside the larger profile would make everyone look at it, so I took It less and less with me...
I sold it pretty much for the value of the MA2 and so far I’m really happy with the choice.

I found that MA2 over the water got kind of confused, like 60m height, but I think that’s common with drones and sensors, the issue that I noticed was video breaking on the transmission, but the footage was OK.

I do takeoffs and landings by hand from day one with MA2, never had the will to do it with M2Z.
Footage colors are really good for a beginner drone, and as someone said earlier, by the time that I know how to properly use it, Mavic 4 might be out. :)

I had the same dilemma but after reading a lot I chose the Mavic 2 Pro and very glad I did. The camera makes all the difference and it is so good you can zoom in post if you need to or just fly towards your subject. The videos from the M2P are amazing but rarely fully appreciated unless you have a 4K screen to playback. Even so every place you playback is better than any other consumer drone. One hint I found out is to shoot in 4K 30fps to lessen the "judder when turning a corner (using curves) I fly corners no faster than 2-3 mph. I also use the Litchi App to have better camera control using curves in waypoints. In DJI you have no camera control in curves which is strange. Also in the Litchi you can program missions on a device without being connected to anything so you can setup missions from anywhere and not waste your battery.

The Mavic 2 pro is definitely better for pictures because of the larger sensor........But having said this, the MA2 has smart HDR photo mode which is amazing - I do not believe Mavic2 pro has that...same goes for video - MA2 has higher bitrate and shoots HDR video, again the mavic Pro2 dos not, just better low light capability.

No question the Mavic 2 pro has a superior camera due to sensor size but MA2 has newer and better technology and is 1/2 the prize.

Personally I am not a fan of 12 MP pictures but I bought the MA2 anyway (I also have an Inspire2 for the real professional work).......I am actually thinking using the MA2 for all my video real estate jobs as the HDR video is fantastic, my Inspire 2 can't even compete in good light...

I’d choose the MP2, better Camera, a little more stabile in wind and DJI Go4 was more preferable for me. I am pretty happy with my Air 2 right now but if I had the extra money and it didn’t matter I would have preferred the Pro 2.

I know there are some questions regarding why I posed the question that way. For me there are two or three elements that I use when deciding on similar products: 1) Value. Is this the best value for my money? In hindsight IN MY SITUATION BASED ON A PREVIOUSLY FLAWED EXPERIENCE the Mavic Mini, as much as I like it was the best value short term value, but probably not the best mid-term value...FOR ME, at least at this moment. It will have some advantages down the road when I have a second drone. I will end up buying another drone (not the end of the world) but I could have afforded the MA2 pretty easily and my first (flyable) drone. I didn't know about DJI's refresh program which would have given me more confidence in going for the MA2 in the first place... But that leaves the door open for a M2P or Z or MPP.... or (forgive me) and Evo II 8K, probably the non DJI drone I'd consider (pending knowing that repairs are available and easy). I'm still figuring out where this drone thing is going to take me, but in the meantime I'm studying for the Part 107 test which I hope to take sometime in August or early Sept.

If you want to keep you distance from objects and animals that could be spooked easily, M2Z is great. At 1080p you can get a clear photos and video at 4x zoom. It may not compare to the 2 for quality, but the quality on the zoom is still one of the better ones for drones. The Mav 2 can also give you a 2x by enlarging a 4k to 1080p.

I had the same dilemma but after reading a lot I chose the Mavic 2 Pro and very glad I did. The camera makes all the difference and it is so good you can zoom in post if you need to or just fly towards your subject. The videos from the M2P are amazing but rarely fully appreciated unless you have a 4K screen to playback. Even so every place you playback is better than any other consumer drone. One hint I found out is to shoot in 4K 30fps to lessen the "judder when turning a corner (using curves) I fly corners no faster than 2-3 mph. I also use the Litchi App to have better camera control using curves in waypoints. In DJI you have no camera control in curves which is strange. Also in the Litchi you can program missions on a device without being connected to anything so you can setup missions from anywhere and not waste your battery.
You bring up a good point: Litchi assistance. In my mind I will be doing more real estate/architecture more than anything else at this time. It seems that Litchi would be a bit help in this regard. May I assume the MA2 would not have the Litchi capability?

M2P.....sensor, camera, stability. I bought 2 DSLR's quite a while back and shoot family, landscapes and macro. I shoot in both RAW and JPEG in full manual mode.

The M2P's 1" sensor and camera was what I was looking for.....having full manual control over the camera was the deciding purchasing factor. I do not regret my decision in any way.

I have both Mavic 2 models and typically find myself going with the Pro 65% of the time I go out. The sensor on the Mavic 2 Pro is untouchable, in my opinion.
The Zoom is fixed 2.8 aperture and you can only adjust iso and shutter. The Pro allows changing of fstops. I will always take my zoom on a construction shoot where I can fly to a opening or window and zoom to get some shots inside, which is nice. I also like the Zoom can do a dolly zoom, that allows you to create some very interesting effects with your subjects. Overall, I'm glad I have both and they have each have their advantages. Either one, you will be happy with because they take great shots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead