Join Us Now

If you find my drone

Norm - N1SJK

Part 107 Pilot & Ham Radio Operator
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Besides marking the exterior of your drone with your FAA Registration number and you phone number I highly recommend that you put a text or word file on your memory card in your drone called, "If you find my drone". In said file put your name, phone number, email address and mailing address. That memory card may out last your exterior marking on your drone and gives at least a better chance someone finding it can get the memory card back to you.

I nearly lost my Mavic Mini a few weeks ago in Atlantic City, NJ. When I had the sun in my eyes and I thought my drone was in the sun. So I brought it down and what I thought was toward me. Little did I know I was actually sending it further away and nearly crashed it into some bushes. All that saved it was it lost signal to my controller and after a brief pause,... it started climbing to the RTH altitude. I never knew how close I came to losing it until I was downloading the footage later.

Fly safe
Norm - N1SJK

Besides marking the exterior of your drone with your FAA Registration number and you phone number I highly recommend that you put a text or word file on your memory card in your drone called, "If you find my drone". In said file put your name, phone number, email address and mailing address. That memory card may out last your exterior marking on your drone and gives at least a better chance someone finding it can get the memory card back to you.

I nearly lost my Mavic Mini a few weeks ago in Atlantic City, NJ. When I had the sun in my eyes and I thought my drone was in the sun. So I brought it down and what I thought was toward me. Little did I know I was actually sending it further away and nearly crashed it into some bushes. All that saved it was it lost signal to my controller and after a brief pause,... it started climbing to the RTH altitude. I never knew how close I came to losing it until I was downloading the footage later.

Fly safe
Norm - N1SJK

Nice choice of music ... it fits really well.

But now it's driving me crazy because I've heard it before and can't figure out where. Please help me out. I think it's from a show.

By the way, your QRZ page is very well done.

Last edited:
FYI, you should be able to click on the map inset to enlarge it, rotate the arrow that represents the drone so that it points towards home (as identified on the map) and then fly it back without actually being able to see the drone. Kind of like "flying by the instruments" in an actual plane...

Fly safe
Norm - N1SJK
73 de WA4ONV.

One more vote for "That was close!" ... looks like the downward VPS also saved you a few moments earlier descending over the trees. Pretty amazing over all.

Reactions: Norm - N1SJK
One more vote for "That was close!" ... looks like the downward VPS also saved you a few moments earlier descending over the trees. Pretty amazing over all.
I was just in Boise, ID just 4 days after you joined these forums. I'm on tour with chicagotheband.com/tour
Yeah it was way too close.

If your drone is hidden by the sun and you have a loss of direction wether it’s heading towards or away from you again, go left or right to regain sense of direction. I used that as a response to a question in my FAA approved night waiver application to verify direction in the event of loss of directional indicators.

Reactions: toadmeister2k

Fly safe
Norm - N1SJK
Learn to use the compass instead of the map. You can easily figure out which direction your drone is pointing and fly it back to you when you lose it.

Reactions: slozukimc

Fly safe

If your drone is hidden by the sun and you have a loss of direction wether it’s heading towards or away from you again, go left or right to regain sense of direction. I used that as a response to a question in my FAA approved night waiver application to verify direction in the event of loss of directional indicators
Saved me a couple times already on the Mini 2. Looked down, then back up. Where did it go?!
Thumbs off sticks, check battery, take a deep breath and move laterally to reacquire. Last ditch RTH button and pray.
Scary stuff.

I fly daylight with an anti-collision strobe for this reason. Max's-out the M2 at 250 grams or a gram over or two. Cops don't carry scales. Recommend the FIrehouse ARC V over Lumecube. It'll roast your retinas when you turn it on. Worth every penny and cheap insurance for recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: slozukimc
Saved me a couple times already on the Mini 2. Looked down, then back up. Where did it go?!
Thumbs off sticks, check battery, take a deep breath and move laterally to reacquire. Last ditch RTH button and pray.
Scary stuff.

I fly daylight with an anti-collision strobe for this reason. Max's-out the M2 at 250 grams or a gram over or two. Cops don't carry scales. Recommend the FIrehouse ARC V over Lumecube. It'll roast your retinas when you turn it on. Worth every penny and cheap insurance for recovery.

Agree. I have two of the Firehouse ARC V ... they are scary bright. I mean scary. If they were lazers (i.e., tightly focused) you might be able to weld small objects with them. Just kidding, but only a little.

Reactions: NewAir2sMan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803