DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Illegal to fly in Chugach State Park AK

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I see in several web pages that it is illegal to fly a drone in Chugach State Park. They quote this AK statute. 11 AAC 20.020. Aircraft (a) Except as provided in (b) of this section, the use of aircraft is allowed in Chugach State Park on Bold airstrip located at the inlet of Eklutna Lake. (b) The use of aircraft for the purpose of practice landing is prohibited.

That is all the law that I can find regarding the issue. It is. 11 AAC 20.020. Another reference mentions that State Law can’t supersede FAA Regulations but this leaves me confused. thoughts?

I see in several web pages that it is illegal to fly a drone in Chugach State Park. They quote this AK statute. 11 AAC 20.020. Aircraft (a) Except as provided in (b) of this section, the use of aircraft is allowed in Chugach State Park on Bold airstrip located at the inlet of Eklutna Lake. (b) The use of aircraft for the purpose of practice landing is prohibited.

That is all the law that I can find regarding the issue. It is. 11 AAC 20.020. Another reference mentions that State Law can’t supersede FAA Regulations but this leaves me confused. thoughts?
I would contact the park to find out what their policy is. In Utah they require a permit but you just fill out a paper at the park office and pay $5 for the day.

That law is a flimsy excuse but they don’t need a specific law to tell you that you can’t take off or land on park grounds. Their park their rules. The FAA’s role has to do with what you can and can’t do in the air but the park still governs what you can and can’t do on the ground. You could fly over the park but to take off and land you need their permission.

Reactions: Dbez1 and BigAl07
They own the land! So, as land owners they reserve the right to say yea or nae to take off/landing on their property. They DO NOT control the airspace, FAA does.

Reactions: BigAl07

Many state parks are now no take off / land zones for drones. NC / GA are two I encounter all the time. States do not own the airspace above the park ground.

Easiest way to fly is to take off / land outside of the SP that is legal to fly from. Same hold true for NPS's as well. Can't take off / land, but you can fly over them since FAA covers airspace. Now, if there is a LAANC or other FAA No Fly in that space - then it's NO FLY period.

Two other issues.
VLOS. Many areas that let you take off/land from outside the park may block you from VLOS while your over the park.
The other issue is one that their rules are there for, to protect from harassing or disturbing wildlife. If you do fly over the park, be aware of any wildlife and avoid disturbing them, or the park ranger could come after you for non-flying violations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr