DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm Furious! Mini 3 Pro Can't Fly Waypoint Missions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The necessary hardware is already there, and so is almost all the necessary programming, and the software that isn't there would be a simple rewrite of code they've done a dozen times. What am I asking you to subsidize?
A lot! One of the biggest is support. For both developers (i.e. Litchi), and direct customers. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

These are hardly trivial costs.

Where it was said it would be added to a drone then it is a fair complaint if it is not.
But was it advertised that it was included or would be added in the Mini 3 Pro.
I never said anything about the Mini 3 Pro. In my original post that you said it was my fault I clearly stated that I was talking about the Air 2.

As the OP and after reading all of the above, I have decided to return my Mini 3 Pro to DJI since it is withing the 14 day return period and continue to fly my waypoint missions with my "antique" Mavic Pro. I will wait to see how options develope for remote ID since I have until September of next year to comply.

In summary, DJI marketing blew it with me since I am not now buying a new drone. But, as mentioned above, DJI doesnt care about me since I am apparently a very distinct minority of those who value waypoint capability in a newer $1K drone.

I'm feeling very lonely.

Last edited:
As the OP and after reading all of the above, I have decided to return my Mini 3 Pro to DJI since it is withing the 14 day return period and continue to fly my waypoint missions with my "antique" Mavic Pro. I will wait to see how options develope for remote ID since I have until September of next year to comply.

In summary, DJI marketing blew it with me since I am not now buying a new drone. But, as mentioned above, DJI doesnt care about me since I am apparently a very distinct minority of those who value waypoint capability in a newer $1K drone.

I'm feeling very lonely.
Good for you. I would do that if I had the option with my MA2. I have it listed on Craigslist and can't even sell it unfortunately. I'd gladly replace it with a M2P.

I suspect DJI's reluctance to provide waypoint capability to drones aimed at "the masses" is somewhat influenced by security concerns. With waypoints loaded onto the drone it can fly completely autonomously and therefore can't be tracked back to the pilot by any means. It also makes the drone less susceptible to signal jamming/interception. DJI don't want their drones to feature in prominent news stories that feed the "anti drone" sentiment.
Since DJI "ENTERPRI$$$E" model WILL have WP... your entire comment is invalid, as to your reason being "security concern".

Or do you ALSO "assume" DJI will NOT sell the "enterprise" drones to "the masses" ?
If "the masses" wanted drones just to do "bad" things with WayPoints, they can simply buy another brand that includes WP.....

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Tufargon
Since DJI "ENTERPRI$$$E" model WILL have WP... your entire comment is invalid, as to your reason being "security concern".

Or do you ALSO "assume" DJI will NOT sell the "enterprise" drones to "the masses" ?
If "the masses" wanted drones just to do "bad" things with WayPoints, they can simply buy another brand that includes WP.....

:rolleyes:
Are you trying to say that "enterprise" drones are marketed to "the masses"?

Sure, anyone who wants to do "bad" stuff with waypoints could tool up with an "enterprise" drone (if they can stomach the big price premium), or a non-DJI drone. That wasn't my point. My point was that if DJI remove true autonomous WP capability for the drone models they sell the highest volumes of to consumers (Mini2, 3, Mavic 3 etc) then the risk of some idiot somewhere getting the idea of doing an autonomous waypoints mission down into a stadium during a game (for example) is significantly reduced, and it certainly wouldn't be a DJI branded drone that makes it into the news.

Point still "invalid"?

Where it was said it would be added to a drone then it is a fair complaint if it is not.
But was it advertised that it was included or would be added in the Mini 3 Pro.
For several months, DJI had been saying that the Mini 3 Pro would be in the SDK around the end of August. I don't doubt that some people bought with that expectation.

I would not be surprised that the impact of China’s strict Covid-19 policies has something to do with DJI having the man power to keep the SDK's coming for enterprise and consumer drones. I suspect they had to make a decission and the enterprise division won out.

For several months, DJI had been saying that the Mini 3 Pro would be in the SDK around the end of August. I don't doubt that some people bought with that expectation.
Seriously, I totally missed that, and so did a lot of other people. So it wasn't widely disseminated, at least.

Not calling you a liar – at all – but would love to see the actual DJI evidence of this if you have a link.

Compré un Mavic Pro hace muchos años cuando salieron por primera vez. ¡ME ENCANTÓ! Descubrí que la característica más valiosa y más utilizada era volar misiones de waypoint usando Litchi y DroneDeploy para el mapeo autónomo y videos cinemáticos panorámicos que fluyen sin problemas. Cuando salió el Mini 3 Pro, estaba entusiasmado con la nueva tecnología, el tamaño más pequeño, la excelente capacidad de la cámara, etc., así que compré uno. Ahora que me estoy familiarizando más con el Mini 3 Pro, me doy cuenta de que DJI ya no ofrece la capacidad de puntos de ruta y ¡¡¡ESO ME PONDE FURIOSO!!!

No quedó claro en el marketing de DJI del mini 3 que los puntos de referencia ya no se incluyeron. ¿Por qué DJI eliminó esa capacidad? He visto muchas discusiones sobre la posibilidad de que DJI lo proporcione en el futuro, pero ¿DJI puede confirmar que está en proceso? ¿Si sí, cuándo? Esta es una degradación importante en la capacidad del dron DJI y, si no se soluciona, me desharé de mi mini y me quedaré con mi mavic pro.

¿¿Pensamientos??
Revisar página 27 del manual sobre Waypoints, sin embargo en una publicación de Hatu yo Drone Gurú, no recuerdo exactamente se abría quitado está opción? pues esto permitiría levantamiento aerofotogrametria. Posible opción para un Mini 4 Pro ? . Personalmente aún no lo he usado hasta conocer mejor a los modos de vuelo.

Seriously, I totally missed that, and so did a lot of other people. So it wasn't widely disseminated, at least.

Not calling you a liar – at all – but would love to see the actual DJI evidence of this if you have a link.

Reactions: Jam0ne
Thanks!

This is an interesting read on the developer bboard...

I’m naive just like the OP. I am used to Phantoms and Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro 2. I had no idea that the Mini 3 Pro didn’t support waypoint missions when I purchased it. This is one of those things that you don’t know what you don’t know. I assumed all DJI drones supported it to one extent or another. Now I have a cute, but expensive toy. I don’t do YouTube videos and I wanted it to do short photogrammetry waypoint missions. I guess this is my “stupid tax” for not knowing to look at the fine print.

Although, from what I read so far, it looks like there were some lead to believe the Mavic 3 and Mini 3 Pro would get API support at one time.

A lot! One of the biggest is support. For both developers (i.e. Litchi), and direct customers. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

These are hardly trivial costs.
I myself want more than simple waypoints. I want functionality like Skydio’s KeyFrame! I almost bought the Skydio 2+ when I saw it. But I’m waiting for the Skydio 3. Then I’ll probably bite the bullet.

Z

I'm 100% with you. My last drone before this was $500 phantom 3 standard which included waypoints and my Air 2s which cost almost $1000 doesn't! I had to fly the mission to place waypoints, but still I could then easily recreate smooth, cinematic missions. There is no technical reason they can't offer it on lower drones. I understand holding it back for more money, but wish they would at least offer it as an upgraded fly app, or special features that costs money. That way we get what we want, they get a little more money for the functionality and everyone is happy.

Last edited:
I too had the same disappointment when I bought my first drone; the Air2S.
I assumed, Yes, A ss U Me, that all fairly expensive drones had waypoints.

The world is not fooling me whatsoever, Less in NOT more!
Why is it in a time when we have the tech and knowledge to do just about anything, we see more things disappearing from the "Shelves" than anytime I can remember in my life.
I don't care what it is, if you like it...it's gonna go away......
Oh, and Stay tuned for imitation margarine.

It all really boils down to greed.
Greed, and insecurity.

They got the whole world quaking in their boots about nefarious people doing/being able to do nefarious things.
Get rid of this, ban that, regulate the other thing...a little at a time.
The thing is, anyone can use anything to harm others if that's their intent.
They're gonna have to ban everything on the planet right down to rocks and sticks before people will be "safe" from the boogymen and each other.
Nope, wait, they'll have to cut people's fists off after that.

Greed, the very core of everything that's wrong with this world.

Ok, sermon over, go about your business...

I purchased a Mavic Pro many years ago when they first came out. I LOVED IT! I found that the most valuable and most used feature was to fly waypoint missions using Litchi and DroneDeploy for automomous mapping and scenic smoothly flowing cinematic videos. When the Mini 3 Pro came out, I was excited about the new technology, smaller size, excellent camera capability etc and so I bought one. Now that I am becoming more familiar with the Mini 3 Pro, I find that DJI no longer provides waypoint capability and THAT MAKES ME FURIOUS!!!

There was nothing made clear in DJI's marketing of the mini 3 that waypoints were no longer included. Why did DJI eliminate that capability? I've seen many discussions on the possibility of DJI providing it in the future but can DJI confirm that it is in the works? If yes, when? This is a serious downgrade in DJI drone capability and if not addressed, I'm going to get rid of my mini and stick with my mavic pro.

Thoughts??
Can't you just use Litchi..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu