DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm pulling the trigger on the MP today! Help please...

Hello everyone,
I've been lurking for a few days now trying to soak up any info I can before spending my money on the Mavic.
I'm leaving in an hour to get my Mavic at the local FRY'S. I just wanted to check in before I unbox. I purposely decided to get it at night so I could get everything dialed in before running out the door to fly her maiden flight in an immature display of impatience. I know me =)

Just wondering what I should do BEFORE I power it on and load firmware and the like. I'll be using it with a Samsung TAB 2 and maybe my S7 as well. Also wondering about DJI refresh...get it or NOT...? Anyone familiar with FRY's as far as a purchase like this is concerned?

I'm a new pilot only having a couple of cheap quads, the better of which was a Holystone F181C. None of them were very stable but the F181C wasn't bad for a sub $100 quad. I live in Huntington Beach CA by the way.

Anything ANYONE can add, advice, do & don'ts would be greatly appreciated!
Anthony

Most of us just do a quick spin around our living room after setting it up. That way you don't have to wait to crash it in the morning. Just kidding, DON"T FLY INDOORS.

Reactions: emonster1
Check out the DJI Go 4 app manual , best learn what all the functions and settings do

DJI Go 4 Manual*ALL UPDATED*

If you fly indoors, make sure it's super bright, as many lights on as possible with all the blinds open.
This allows the Visual Positioning System (VPS) to work better.
Don't use tripod mode as this needs to rely on gps, which is not available indoors

In ATTI and Vision mode the barometer keeps altitude quite well and VPS maintains lateral position if there is some pattern on the floor for it to lock on to.

Also get the Mavic propeller guards, if you hit anything it will just bounce off

Set the RC disconnect to "hover", you don't want a RTH triggered inside the house

Turn off all wi-fi and bluetooth (e.g phone and watch) as this causes interference on 2.4ghz , you can also custom select the 5.8ghz frequency for better interference resistance as there are less signals broadcast on 5.8 in the home

Also check on the status of the imu and compass in the DJI Go 4 detailed sensor page for interference, if there is too much don't fly
Don't fly too close to the ceiling as I've notice a lot of compass interference up there at 9ft indoors

Last edited:
Don't fly too close to the ceiling as I've notice a lot of compass interference up there at 9ft indoors
more so the props will suck the mavic to the ceiling which suxx

See this list of special "indoors instructions" :

If you fly indoors, make sure it's super bright, as many lights on as possible with all the blinds open.
This allows the Visual Positioning System (VPS) to work better.
Don't use tripod mode as this needs to rely on gps, which is not available indoors

Also get the Mavic propeller guards, if you hit anything it will just bounce off

Set the RC disconnect to "hover", you don't want a RTH triggered inside the house

Turn off all wi-fi and bluetooth (e.g phone and watch) as this causes interference on 2.4ghz , you can also custom select the 5.8ghz frequency for better interference resistance as there are less signals broadcast on 5.8 in the home

Also check on the status of the imu and compass in the DJI Go 4 detailed sensor page for interference, if there is too much don't fly

Ask any experienced mavic pilot, it's very simple: never, ever, ever, ever, fly it indoors, for any reason. It's just not worth the risk. Sure, some people have done it with no problems a few times, but 90% of the time it ends in disaster, especially if you're a new mavic pilot. Do a search in this forum for the number of posts that have "indoors" and "crash" in the title. Your mavic will will probably switch back and forth between ATTI mode and GPS mode sporadically if indoors, making it very unpredictable and very difficult to fly.

I know of at least 3 very experienced pilots who have only had 1 crash, and it was the first (and last) time they decided to try flying indoors. When I first got my mavic, I always thought I'd try flying indoors after I became a better, more experienced pilot. But knowing what I know now: NO WAY. I will never power up the mavic indoors with the props on.

If you do try flying indoors, please make sure and video the whole experiment and share the results here with us all.

GET REFRESH!!!!
Read and Understand manual in its entirety. Particularly how RTH works in all situations.
As a S7 user I do not fly DJI Go with it as it crashes all the time dispute all the "fixes". I use litchi. But if I had the tab I would use SKI Go.
Verify home location.
And have fun

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard