DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Imagine my surprise

Obsidian Sereniti

Reactions
I’ve had a Spark and then a Mavic Air. Occasionally (3 times since 2016) I am in a position where I need to grab the stationary drone out of the air instead of allowing it to land. With these two drones I simply turned the bird over on its side and the motors stopped.

Not so with the mavic 2 Zoom. I grabbed it carefully and proceeded to turn it over. Motors did not stop. I tried this once more and then simply allowed it to land in my hand - a riskier move in my opinion. Then I walked it to safety.

Just letting those who didn’t know this fact know. Anyway, I guess that’s what happens when you get a more advanced bird! ?

Happy flying everyone!

Reactions: BossOlive
Happy to read this, I have read flipping the drone over would shut it off... My Zoom does not. I thought it might be a seperate setting somewhere.

Reactions: Obsidian Sereniti
I only did this "flipping" a few times with my Spark ! Not fun to have your fingers hit by the blades due to high winds...Now I've mapped a key to land and just grab it as it comes down.
With the MP1 I bring it down, grab it and then pull the left stick down until it stops fighting. Should be possible to do the same on the M2 ?

When I do hand catch the only way I can get hold of it is the keep the left stick pulled back. It would be nice to flip it over to shut it down though.

Spark and Mavic Air owner here and use to flip my birds to turn them off but read somewhere that it puts a strain on the motors so I now just use the left stick to shut down the motors while holding the bird.

Reactions: KangaAir
The best way to hand catch the Mavic 2 is to turn off Landing Protection. With that disabled, hover the Mavic in front of you. Reach up and gently grasp the Mavic, it will not try to fly away. Then just kill the motors by holding the left stick down.

Don't need to turn sensors off to hand catch. Just hover it at just over head height and put your hand out about 18 inches lower, then just throttle down and it will settle into your hand. Continue holding down on throttle and it shuts off. Just make sure AC is oriented for you to easily grasp.

Don't need to turn sensors off to hand catch. Just hover it at just over head height and put your hand out about 18 inches lower, then just throttle down and it will settle into your hand. Continue holding down on throttle and it shuts off. Just make sure AC is oriented for you to easily grasp.
And watch your finger position... my cuts took weeks to heal after my first attempt.

And watch your finger position... my cuts took weeks to heal after my first attempt.
Yes. I think the best hand position is gently cupped, versus fingers straight up. Anybody doing a hand catch should handle the drone powered down and take note of how high their fingers can safely be when grasping from the bottom. The drone should settle into the palm of the hand with fingers adding support near the bottom.

Gotta be very cognizant of what's going on when drone is anywhere near your, especially at or near head level.

For a hand catch, make sure your remote is securely held and you have excellent footing. Slipping or having the remote shift on you resulting in a jostled joystick that sends the drone into your face makes for a bad time.

I personally would never land the drone in my hand with landing protection on. IMHO that is just too risky. I shut the landing protection off, hover just above my head, & reach up and grasp the body firmly, and then throttle down the left stick.

It's not that I need to turn off the Landing Protection sensor, it's just that it makes hand catching the Mavic safer and easier. You just let the drone hover in place and move your hand around it. When you have a good grasp, you kill the motors. I've done it both ways and I find this way much easier.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18