DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Improving my video colors/skills

TerryToast

Reactions
Site
youtube.com
Can someone please give me some advise on what went wrong with the colors in this video (e.g. the white balance is wrong, the footage is overexposed, I am using the wrong lighting, the scene is too challenging for the MA2 camera, etc)? I am seeking to improve my video/camera skills and in particular improve the colors in my original footage (before I reach post-production).

M2A Camera Settings
- 4K 25p
- DCinelike profile
- H.265 codec
- Auto white balance
- Auto camera settings (ISO, etc)

Other information
- Video taken 30 minutes after sunrise on a sunny day (no clouds).
- Filmpoets Skygrades Natural LUT used in post-production

Please note, I am NOT seeking post-production color grading advise (although I probably need it). I am seeking advise on filming.

ColorGrading.png

Its DCinelike profile , it is supposed to be color graded before being presented. The original always look "wrong" although it's very right for the purpose of editing.

1595660282659.png

Its DCinelike profile , it is supposed to be color graded before being presented. The original always look "wrong" although it's very right for the purpose of editing.
I realise that DCinelike + LUT = (approx) Normal profile.

My DCinelike + LUT = terrible. No doubt if I had filmed in Normal profile, it would have been just as bad.

My question is why? I suspect it’s an in-camera issue. Maybe filming the beach in magic hour confuses the MA2 camera (resulting in bright orange sand, etc)? Or my camera setting are wrong?

.... bad.....resulting in bright orange sand ..... My question is why?

Good or bad is mostly a matter of personal taste. Nobody but only you know what "good" color is. E.g. the pictures you have posted show three different colors of the sand. If they are all bad to your eyes, I doubt if anyone know the color you want, let alone the camera. Tuning the color to your taste in post processing is the only answer.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question. But the first snapshot of D-Cinelike original looks as it should and the intent of its use is to require color grading in post. I assume you know that. As @boblui said, the desired end result is a matter of taste and sometimes artistic interpretation.

With my M2P I now mostly always film in D-Log, similar to Cinelike and when color grading rarely use 3rd party LUTs. I usually find it easier just to find the "recipe' of one of the main clips and then just use it as a color grading base to copy to other clips and then adjust those. FWIW I haven't gotten into the color space thing, so I do the best I can adjusting what I see to what I (think I ) like. I also find that what I think works on one day doesn't meet my approval when I revisit it on subsequent days.

What editing program are you using?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone