DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMU Calibration ok?

Mothman

Reactions
New guy, and I see a number of similar threads about struggles with IMU calibration, but wasn't able to find quite what I'm wondering about.

I just got my Mini yesterday and did a few very short indoor test flights.

This morning before heading out to work I wanted to do another quick one.

Once everything was powered on and connected, before flying, on the Fly app, top left it said fly with caution, as I had no GPS in the house, which is fine.

However, it also flashed a red IMU calibration error. That error didn't stay, it just flashed for a brief moment, then went away, then back again, did that a few times.

Checking the Safety settings, it said IMU Normal, but to be safe, I did the calibration anyways.

The first time, I set it on the table, and when prompted I turned it on one side, then onto the other side... and it sat there, not changing. After a few minutes I wondered what was up and I moved the mini a bit, kind of lifted it then put it back down, and it then said OK, go to the next step, and proceeded to the end, and said it was successful.

I didn't feel right about it having been moved in the middle of a calibration step, so I figured I'd redo it.

This time I got all the way to the mini laying belly up, and then it just sat there. I left it for 6-7 minutes with no change. At that point I again moved the mini slightly (lifted it, then back down), at which point, the calibration then finished and, again, said successful.

By that time I had to run off to work so haven't been able to test fly.

Am I safe to assume that if the app said the calibration was successful, it is OK, and not worry about the weirdness of the partially "stuck" process?

New guy, and I see a number of similar threads about struggles with IMU calibration, but wasn't able to find quite what I'm wondering about.

I just got my Mini yesterday and did a few very short indoor test flights.

This morning before heading out to work I wanted to do another quick one.

Once everything was powered on and connected, before flying, on the Fly app, top left it said fly with caution, as I had no GPS in the house, which is fine.

However, it also flashed a red IMU calibration error. That error didn't stay, it just flashed for a brief moment, then went away, then back again, did that a few times.

Checking the Safety settings, it said IMU Normal, but to be safe, I did the calibration anyways.

The first time, I set it on the table, and when prompted I turned it on one side, then onto the other side... and it sat there, not changing. After a few minutes I wondered what was up and I moved the mini a bit, kind of lifted it then put it back down, and it then said OK, go to the next step, and proceeded to the end, and said it was successful.

I didn't feel right about it having been moved in the middle of a calibration step, so I figured I'd redo it.

This time I got all the way to the mini laying belly up, and then it just sat there. I left it for 6-7 minutes with no change. At that point I again moved the mini slightly (lifted it, then back down), at which point, the calibration then finished and, again, said successful.

By that time I had to run off to work so haven't been able to test fly.

Am I safe to assume that if the app said the calibration was successful, it is OK, and not worry about the weirdness of the partially "stuck" process?
Yes

Reactions: Mothman
....when prompted I turned it on one side, then onto the other side... and it sat there, not changing.
I went into that problem with my M2 because the app asked me to rest the craft on it's right side but I did it on the left side. Seems to be not your case.

If you need to move the craft before IMU calibration can be done, I would say its abnormal. May be some of the moving masses inside the accelerometer is slightly stuck and free up when the craft is moved. If the problem persists, I would suggest to return it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett