DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMU Corrosion

60Cents

Reactions
I have a Mavic 2 pro that crashed and the damage didn't seem that bad. The lens cover over the forward bottom sensor was broken and the gimbal had a slight separation from the camera (Hasselblad), port side. There was no other visible damage. But after trying to connect with the controller and having problems and the camera facing the wrong direction on startup and tearing it down and putting it back together several times, I finally noticed the rear lights were solid red, Critical Error. Then I removed the IMU and saw what looked like corrosion around the ribbon connection. It looked about the same as a corroded flashlight battery. I cleaned the IMU contacts as best I could and put it back together again. This time I get flashing green, yellow, red lights from the aft legs. The gimbal points forward but not long after power-up it starts shaking. Not violently as I've seen earlier but back and forth slightly.

The fan doesn't work so in order to connect it to DJI Assistant 2, I had to put a portable fan on it and set it on a bag of ice. Even then it would shut off after about 15 minutes at about 106 degrees. I have upgraded the firmware to . . .0400 thinking that would start the fan but not. I finally managed to download one log file before it shut down. Haven't looked at that yet.
I've ordered a new IMU with GPS board and hoping I don't have to order a new core board.

I suspect the IMU was the problem for the original crash.

Any suggestions, comments, thoughts, would be very helpful

I mean that fan is a major issue. You gotta get that working before you start thinking about anything else. You are just frying other components in this process here.

That should be objective #1 before you go trying to make it flight ready. If you can’t get the fan to work what’s the point on the IMU or GPS unit? They are just gonna get fried again.

If you have corrosion on the IMU where else is it. On the core board? The camera? Corrosion is the worst possible thing you can have. Chopping the drone in half with a chain saw wouldn’t be as bad in some ways.

If you have a good camera you might be alright but you gotta figure out the fan stat.

I mean that fan is a major issue. You gotta get that working before you start thinking about anything else. You are just frying other components in this process here.

That should be objective #1 before you go trying to make it flight ready. If you can’t get the fan to work what’s the point on the IMU or GPS unit? They are just gonna get fried again.

If you have corrosion on the IMU where else is it. On the core board? The camera? Corrosion is the worst possible thing you can have. Chopping the drone in half with a chain saw wouldn’t be as bad in some ways.

If you have a good camera you might be alright but you gotta figure out the fan stat.
Thanks Bret8883. I agree. Can't fly this with an ice bag attached. I was hoping the upgrade would fix it but that didn't help. I can replace the fan but that may not be the problem. I didn't notice any corrosion anywhere else. I'll see what a new IMU does but the next step is the core board.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980