DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMU ERROR WILL NOT CLEAR

SDFLYER619

Reactions
Full transparency here - yes, my Air hit a soft target, what I would refer to as a hard landing, BUT that was about 3+ weeks ago and my Mavic Air has flown flawlessly about 9-11 times since this. I tried to fly it 2 days ago and it worked flawlessly again, battery went low, landed it, put in a back up battery and received a “Main Controller Error” which is accompanied by IMU calibration error. I CANNOT calibrate the IMU - it simply will not allow me to press past the “Start” button. DJI chat support says send it in, supplier said it’s past 45 days (my drone is 59 days old). FORTUNATELY I have a back up plan of a hobbyist who has building drones for 8+ years and can replace the IMU board if necessary BUT...... Has anyone ran into this and self resolved? Thanks - love you all [emoji817]

No, there was no warning, errors or otherwise. In addition, it flew flawlessly for the next 9-11 flights

Lucky that it happened on the ground and not in the air.

Do you know how to check your sensors state? What does it say about your Imu?

MC>Advanced settings>Sensors state

Reactions: Astom22
Lucky that it happened on the ground and not in the air.

Do you know how to check your sensors state? What does it say about your Imu?

MC>Advanced settings>Sensors state

I’m getting a handful of errors. I can check them all BUT I cannot clear them all.

The first error could mean that your ESC board is damaged. I know that you have flown it numerous times since the crash, but since you havent updated it or caused anything else to hurt the IMU, that would be my guess. Testing a new ESC board would be the next step.

Gimbal error - Ive never seen that one before. I have seen "gimbal motor overload" "Gimbal obstructed" "Exces gimbal vibration" and several others.

The first error could mean that your ESC board is damaged. I know that you have flown it numerous times since the crash, but since you havent updated it or caused anything else to hurt the IMU, that would be my guess. Testing a new ESC board would be the next step.

Gimbal error - Ive never seen that one before. I have seen "gimbal motor overload" "Gimbal obstructed" "Exces gimbal vibration" and several others.

Thank you very much for the insight - I will check into this first and let you know how it shakes out.

Full transparency here - yes, my Air hit a soft target, what I would refer to as a hard landing, BUT that was about 3+ weeks ago and my Mavic Air has flown flawlessly about 9-11 times since this. I tried to fly it 2 days ago and it worked flawlessly again, battery went low, landed it, put in a back up battery and received a “Main Controller Error” which is accompanied by IMU calibration error. I CANNOT calibrate the IMU - it simply will not allow me to press past the “Start” button. DJI chat support says send it in, supplier said it’s past 45 days (my drone is 59 days old). FORTUNATELY I have a back up plan of a hobbyist who has building drones for 8+ years and can replace the IMU board if necessary BUT...... Has anyone ran into this and self resolved? Thanks - love you all [emoji817]

***UPDATE*** I just wanted to advise for what it’s worth, maybe it will help someone - The company that is helping me advised I damaged my IMU & Main Board and both require replacement. Parts & Labor total just barely under $300. Not fun, however I didn’t spend $800+ to “not have” a drone. I do not have Refresh with DJI and it was user error so this wouldn’t be a warranty issue. Lesson Learned!!! Parting thoughts, I am comfortable with the guy/company that is performing the repair. I met him by chance prior to this incident & he has been building drones from scratch for 8 years. Totally trustworthy.

So I took a chance and bought an "untested" Mavic Pro off eBay hoping I could replace the one that I lost in the woods last Friday after a catastrophic battery incident. VERY Depressing, searched for 2 days, no joy!
Back on track. It appears to have had a crash as there are some marks on the body and is displaying 3 Errors:
1. Gimbal Motor Overloading - Camera works fine, but Gimbal Hangs limp and doesn't operate on startup, nor will it calibrate. I don't see any broken, unplugged ribbon cables and all rotations in all directions are smooth and free. I also don't see any physical damage to the Gimbal or the camera. I removed the Gimbal & still, no obvious damage. Pictures attached.
2. IMU Needs Calibration, but won't calibrate, fails in 1st view & never changes view. Indicates Error -50 & -72. IMU device is fully attached and in the correct position and appears to be plugged in properly. See Pics
3. Compass Needs Calibration - Compass Calibrates successfully, then on next startup, says it needs calibration again.

Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_20190808_122352622.jpgIMG_20190808_122419768.jpgIMG_20190808_122449503.jpgIMG_20190808_122523807.jpgIMG_20190808_122631365.jpgIMG_20190808_124541215.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe