DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

In praise of the MA2 controller

Kyle76

Reactions
I haven’t seen much discussion of the controller that comes with the MA2, but after starting with a Mavic Mini, the new controller is a huge improvement. With my phone above instead of below the sticks, the whole thing seems more natural and better balanced. The Mini controller does not have the nice rubber grips that make the MA2’s easier to hold. My phone fits the new model without removing its case, which is a big bonus, and the spring-loaded holder is much easier to deal with than the claw-like holders on the Mini case. I can be up and running in easily half the setup time. I also like that the sticks are positioned where you can get to them with the phone attached. I must’ve had to remove my phone from the Mini controller at least a dozen times because I forgot got to get the sticks out beforehand. I also like being able to change flight modes with a centrally located physical switch rather than having to touch the screen. It’s a far superior design in my book

I am with you. It was one factor in my decision to sell my Mavic 2 Pro and go for the Air 2. 4K 60, HDR, and no loss of flight time/range also played a role. I also like the more portable design, for essentially just as capable of a drone.

If I didn't know the M3 was coming, I'd say DJI shot themselves in the foot with the Air 2.

Reactions: LongRifle and tiwag
I like mine.

This is my first DJI so I have no comparison.
I will say I really like the setup, size, grips, control placement. This controller feels very comfortable, easy to hold. I use a lanyard strap on mine it balances very nicely.
I don't know that I would buy the smart controller when they make it compatible with the MA2.

Here here. It’s one of the least remarked about positive points of the drone.

It’s definitely better than the old design and far superior to that turd nugget of a controller for the Evo 2.

This is my first DJI so I have no comparison.
I will say I really like the setup, size, grips, control placement. This controller feels very comfortable, easy to hold. I use a lanyard strap on mine it balances very nicely.
I don't know that I would buy the smart controller when they make it compatible with the MA2.
Where do you attach the lanyard?

Where do you attach the lanyard?
You’ll need to purchase an attachment. There are a couple of 3-D printed options on Etsy for $15 or so. I purchased this landyard/iPad holder for $20, on CaffeineMachineUS. It goes on quickly, and does not interfere with the antennas.F439E10A-2E1B-4661-8A98-B4E6859EE346.jpeg2440C8BC-F38A-4A23-AD65-EBC80C7A0E03.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mel 08
There are several device/lanyard holders on thingiverse also. They are free to download and print.

Curious what you use the Velcro on the back for?
The velcro allows me to attach a mofi battery charger, and charge the rc while flying. It's not really needed though, as I charge all batteries each night be use. Its like auto insurance, I hope that I don't need it, but glad its there.20200828_090059.jpg

Got it. But the controllers battery lasts about 6-7 hrs.
Hence the use of the term ‘insurance’. The battery can be used to charge any device that I carry with me, not solely for the rc. This is a redundancy I am aware.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adha