DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inadvertently turning off video during flight

HavingFun999

Reactions
Several Times now I have returned from a flight to discover that my video recording has been cut off.

The culprit is my finger on my right hand is resting close to the video on off button on the top of the controller.

During flight and I figure my finger slips onto that button without me knowing it and since there’s no real clue audibly that the video has been cut off and I’m paying attention to other aspects of the flight I don’t notice it.

See attachment photos.

I don’t think I can reasonably expect I can reposition my finger b/c I have fat fingers.

Has anyone else had this problem and come up with a solution?B14CA03C-CD7E-4411-B194-4D717D0E0BDF.jpegAA3E2DFB-03B7-43E8-AA4F-FA69D243FA51.jpeg

I have what is almost the opposite problem. I often want to take still pictures, bump the button to get into video mode, and when I press the shutter button I end up turning on and off the video rather than taking pictures. I figured out how to do still grabs from the video using VLC, but it isn't the same.

It might be possible to rig a cover for the shutter button, but I just tried positioning my fingers under the controller rather than having one hovering over the shutter button, and it isn't too awkward. (I also have relatively large fingers).

Reactions: tlswift58
I understand your dilemma, but obviously you need a solution. If you were shooting a pistol, hitting the trigger when unintended it would be classified as a "negligent or inadvertent discharge". Fortunately your inadvertent tap on the button won't be lethal (to anything except your project). You know your finger rests next to the "trigger" so you have to figure something out. I have two suggestions.

1) You need to train your finger to rest somewhere else, away from the trigger button. I had to pick up my controller to figure out where it might be most comfortable. Were I to have that problem, I would train my finger to rest on the back of the phone as it is installed in the controller. You will feel the side of your finger on the back of the phone until it is time to move it onto the button where you can start/stop exposures deliberately. It may feel weird initially until you get used to it, but that would work. This may or may not work for you. If not try #2.

2) Get some hard rubber strips, perhaps 1/4" thick and apply them to the space above and below the button as a button guard so that you would deliberately have to use your fingertip to start and stop exposures, keeping the side of your finger off the button. With those "spacers" installed it would be much more difficult to inadvertently hit the button with the side of your finger, which I presume is what's happening.

Reactions: NG Wildman
As with Vindibona1's suggestion, perhaps some sort of epoxy putty molded around the button's housing to keep stray fingers off it. Or some form of barrier glued to the case. I think they would have to be L or U shaped to make them harder to knock off the controller.

Plain & simple ... you need to admit to your self that the way you hold the controller make this happen & drastically change your grip.

Had a similar problem with my quads but with a somewhat more severe consequence ... I accidentally pushed a 3 way switch making the motors disarm mid air ... Had to drastically change the grip around the controller so I instead actively pushed the switch into the arm-position by just holding the controller up.

It's like when you are used to driving a manual geared car & occasionally use an automatic ... you need to actively tuck away your left foot so you don't by habit try to use the brake pedal as a clutch.

I appreciate all the thought and feedback from you all.

Because I use a iPad mini 5 with the controller it tends to be top heavy. The support from my right finger is needed to keep the controller screen at the right orientation.

So I’m planning on trying #2 solution from Vindabona1 and also by Philiusfoggg. It’s what I was thinking of originally but couldn’t figure out what material to construct it with. Very helpful.

Several Times now I have returned from a flight to discover that my video recording has been cut off.

The culprit is my finger on my right hand is resting close to the video on off button on the top of the controller.

During flight and I figure my finger slips onto that button without me knowing it and since there’s no real clue audibly that the video has been cut off and I’m paying attention to other aspects of the flight I don’t notice it.

See attachment photos.

I don’t think I can reasonably expect I can reposition my finger b/c I have fat fingers.

Has anyone else had this problem and come up with a solution?View attachment 136957View attachment 136958
Mine makes a noise when both in pic mode taking pics and in video mode when turning on and off. Maybe you need to turn up the speaker level on your device so that you hear it.

I don't let my finger rest on the button, so that is not an issue with me. It does take some force (albeit small) to push the button; so try keeping your finger extended and not resting on the button.

Reactions: Kilrah

See attachment photos.

Has anyone else had this problem and come up with a solution?View attachment 136957View attachment 136958
Keep your finger OFF the button until you actually intend to take a photo or start video recording?

Reactions: hiflyer201
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS