DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Incorporating MM footage into 24 FPS projects

carriecook

Reactions
Hi there, first time posting here. I'm a travel filmmaker who just acquired a Mavic Mini as my first drone, and plan to incorporate aerial clips into my films.

I normally shoot and edit at 24 FPS, and know that the MM only goes down to 30 FPS. I'm wondering how others doing similar edits handle this. Do you reinterpret your 30 FPS footage as 24 FPS and thus go for a slightly slo-mo effect? Or do you insert it at 30 FPS, knowing that the result will be some dropped frames - maybe this doesn't turn out to be as noticeable as I'm thinking?

For what it's worth, I make films for personal use, not commercial, so while I want them to look good, it's not like I need to achieve ultra-professional results. Also, I know other drones can shoot in 24 FPS, but I chose the Mini because I live in Canada and didn't want to deal with the administrative hassles of flying a larger drone.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

it can also do 25 FPS ..

Reactions: Thomas B
Well geez... I'm not sure how I missed that. Thank you - I see now that that's an option at both 2.7K and 1080p. So if I record at 25 FPS and reinterpret, the slowdown would be barely perceptible. I think that sounds most straightforward; still interested to hear if anyone follows a different approach.

Since there's no audio track to worry about, I should think the best solution (with no loss of quality) would be to just change the frame rate to 24, even if it was shot at 30fps or even 60fps. A little slowdown will only make aerial video look smoother, so some people do it intentionally (i.e. shoot at 60 and render at 30).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots