DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Indoor flight

yawyaw33

Reactions
If anyone could post an answer to the question of whether or not there is one single precaution I could take to ensure or try to ensure that my M2P will not crash into the ceiling. I would be incredibly grateful for any advice as indoor flying is the only option available to me right now. Thank’s.

@yawyaw33 to be perfectly honest with you ,trying to fly your M2P inside ,is not really a very good idea,in many ways, it is a very powerful machine and as you will probably be in atti mode because of lack of GPS lock inside ,then the air currents just from the props, will give enough turbulence to move the drone around without the benefit of any braking, in all the time i have had my MPP i have never started the props in my home ,as the amount of damage not only to the drone ,but to objects around not to mention myself ,it would inflict,would not be worth it

Reactions: yawyaw33
If anyone could post an answer to the question of whether or not there is one single precaution I could take to ensure or try to ensure that my M2P will not crash into the ceiling.
It's not as simple as one thing to do or be aware of.
The ceiling isn't the only obstacle to worry about.
If you have no GPS to provide horizontal position holding, you will need VPS to do the job.
VPS requires good lighting and a floor with a recognisable pattern or surface.
You might have some GPS signal through windows or walls.
Patchy GPS can be problematic with the drone jumping when it goes in and out of P-GPS Mode.

If you have no GPS and no VPS, then the drone will be in atti mode and have no "brakes".
Think driving on ice.
You have to use very gentle joystick inputs and be prepared to give reverse inputs to slow/stop the drone.
If you really want to fly indoors, that's when you need prop guards and gentle fingers on the sticks.

You have to use Sport Mode says the "expert" who doesn't even know his drone has selectable Atti Mode.
That could have been much worse.

Reactions: GFields
It's not as simple as one thing to do or be aware of.
The ceiling isn't the only obstacle to worry about.
If you have no GPS to provide horizontal position holding, you will need VPS to do the job.
VPS requires good lighting and a floor with a recognisable pattern or surface.
You might have some GPS signal through windows or walls.
Patchy GPS can be problematic with the drone jumping when it goes in and out of P-GPS Mode.

If you have no GPS and no VPS, then the drone will be in atti mode and have no "brakes".
Think driving on ice.
You have to use very gentle joystick inputs and be prepared to give reverse inputs to slow/stop the drone.
If you really want to fly indoors, that's when you need prop guards and gentle fingers on the sticks.
I'm stunned! I took it for granted that whatever situation I was in GPS or no, wether I flew in 'normal' mode Sport orTripod that whenever I took my fingers off the joysticks the quad would immediately come to a stop & hover. I need to get to know the theory. Thanks again.

@yawyaw33 to be perfectly honest with you ,trying to fly your M2P inside ,is not really a very good idea,in many ways, it is a very powerful machine and as you will probably be in atti mode because of lack of GPS lock inside ,then the air currents just from the props, will give enough turbulence to move the drone around without the benefit of any braking, in all the time i have had my MPP i have never started the props in my home ,as the amount of damage not only to the drone ,but to objects around not to mention myself ,it would inflict,would not be worth it
I really don't have a choice just now flying indoors is the only option, actually I think the term flying wouldn't really suit it's more a case of me just wanting to ascend the first metre and a few turns on it's axis I haven't the nerve to 'fly' the thing indoors. I thank you for the input though.

Reactions: old man mavic
@yawyaw33 ... convince me that this couldn't be you ;)
That idiot obviously has more money than good sense... already destroyed three good drones doing stupid stuff, and now doing his best to destroy a P4, some expensive lighting equipment, 2 monitors, and no telling what else in that room. Very typical of idiotic YouTube videos

That idiot obviously has more money than good sense... already destroyed three good drones doing stupid stuff, and now doing his best to destroy a P4, some expensive lighting equipment, 2 monitors, and no telling what else in that room. Very typical of idiotic YouTube videos
"You have to use sport mode" that explains the demise of his previous 4 quads, I need educating myself but this is something else.

I noticed your from or in Georgia have you had a go at flying on or around Stone Mountain?

I need educating myself but...
But you had the good sense to do your research, ask questions, and heed the answers.
I noticed your from or in Georgia have yo a good 2-3 hour drive for meu had a go at flying on or around Stone Mountain?
No sir I haven't. Stone Mountain is at least a 2-3 hour drive for me, so I've never even investigated the legalities of flying in the vicinity. I did get some good video of River Street in Savannah a couple years ago.

I think flying the m2p indoors is safe PROVIDING the downward looking sensors have enough light and a suitable 'ground' pattern to work with AND that you do not go charging around "like a bull in a china shop".
When you do move it use SMALL control stick movements. Do daft maneuvers in a confined space and a crash or injury is probable.
In suitable conditions indoors the drone will hold postion within mm or cm. I would go so far as to say the downward looking sensors are so good I think the drone responds to anything flapping beneath it....but that is just the impression I get.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've taken images of a mosaic floor before in a showroom with a M2P. The room had a vaulted ceiling and I was able to get within a 18" of the ceiling and maintain position of the drone while adjusting the gimble for photos. As mentioned above, it's slow movements. take your time and leave plenty of room between the craft and the walls / ceilings. You'll likely need to practice low and in front of you so your adjustments take you in the correct direction vs. driving you into obstacles.

...Very typical of idiotic YouTube videos
...I need educating myself but this is something else.
I'm stunned! I took it for granted that whatever situation I was in... whenever I took my fingers off the joysticks the quad would immediately come to a stop & hover.
A guy with enough money to trash expensive gear or plain over confidence paired with ignorance doesn't matter.

What matter is that you need to know how & why these flying machines fly as stable as they do & what prerequisites that needs to be fulfilled in order for it to work & where you take risks.

It's always better to acquire the needed knowledge outside in a open place without obstacles ... this as you will always "take thing's for granted", & when that turns out to be in a totally different way you have time & free space to avoid disaster ... and can check off a lesson learned.

Usually you don't start up learning in the most challenging environment.

I really don't have a choice just now flying indoors is the only option, actually I think the term flying wouldn't really suit it's more a case of me just wanting to ascend the first metre and a few turns on it's axis I haven't the nerve to 'fly' the thing indoors.
Then you purchased the wrong drone. If you can only fly inside, then buy a drone that does not have/use GPS (and save some $ in the process).
The Mavic series is designed as an outside drone, in that it expects/uses GPS for flight stability.

Reactions: umanbean
If anyone could post an answer to the question of whether or not there is one single precaution I could take to ensure or try to ensure that my M2P will not crash into the ceiling. I would be incredibly grateful for any advice as indoor flying is the only option available to me right now. Thank’s.
Buy a $50-100 drone and if you can fly that indoors,you are all set.They have no GPS or VPS.and they're cheap.

don't have a choice just now flying indoors is the only option
Folks, did you notice "just now"? I suspect that yawyaw33 wants to get outside but is, at the moment, prevented from doing so.

The other thing that might be of use is prop guards, Pgytech's and DJI's are hinged I think in pairs and therefore soemwhat mutually supporting.

If you can only fly inside, then buy a drone that does not have/use GPS (and save some $ in the process).
As some here may already know, I'm a BIG proponent of the Ryze Tello! I have two of them + extra batteries, props, a 3-bay oem home charger, a 3-bay rechargeable mobile charger, a Gamesir T1d controller and other accessories... LUV it!

It's a great little indoor/backyard drone, and daily flying it inside or on my porch has greatly improved my ability to instinctively control a flying machine in 3D space. Outside, I can control my Mavic much better now than before, hardly even thinking about 'which direction to manipulate the sticks'.

Tello and one battery is $100 usd
Tello with Boost package is $150 (3-bay charger, two extra batteries 3 total, extra props and probably some things I can't think of right now :))

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LMcVetty