DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Initial Impressions Including ADS-B

heisnuts

Reactions
After flying a Phantom 3 Advance for over 4 years and racking up over 130 hours of flight time, I just upgraded to the Mavic Air 2 with ADS-B. If you want the short answer, the MA2 is a huge upgrade from the Phantom, and after only 4 flights now under my belt, I am really impressed with the new drone and am glad I upgraded. If you want the long answer, continue reading below.

I have really enjoyed the Phantom over the last 4 years, but packing it up each time to take it anywhere involved taking off props and lugging around an entire backpack to transport it. The Phantom also lacks a lot of features that DJI added to the MA2. I love that the MA2 (including the remote and batteries) folds up into the supplied pouch quickly leaving the props attached.

After receiving the MA2 fly more combo, I charged each battery separately for the first time to make sure I did not run into the problem some here found by bricking their batteries after trying the use the charging hub on the first charge. After the first charge, I used the charging hub with no problems. I found the bottom of the battery compartment made a perfect location to apply my FAA registration sticker.

While the batteries and charger were charging, it gave me time to go through and remove all the stickers on the drone, and there were a lot of them. There are multiple stickers on the arms, camera, body, gimbal protector, and even the battery. I actually missed a couple that I did not find until after the first flight, although they did not interfere with anything. The first time the AC is powered up the DJI Fly App automatically asked to link the new AC to my DJI account and then searched and showed the updated firmware, which I allowed it to download and install it so I was current and ready to go.

Before the first flight, I went through and performed a compass calibration and then went through and adjusted all of the other settings like the return to home height, action to take if the AC loses contact with the RC, making sure the ADS-B system was turned on, etc. After making all of the changes and going through the pre-flight checklist, it was up up and away for the maiden flight.

The first thing I noticed on launch is that the MA2 is a lot quieter than the Phantom 3. There is still a buzzing noise but not as loud as the Phantom. The MA2 has three drive modes - Tripod, Normal and Sport. Tripod is the slowest and least responsive to stick input. Normal speeds that up some, and seemed to be almost the same as the one mode that the Phantom 3 had. Sport goes to full speed and the stick input is a lot more sensitive meaning a little stick movement generates a much bigger change that when in tripod mode. I liked using sport mode to get to where I wanted to go and then used normal to move around what I wanted to film. On the way back to the home position I switched back into sport which sped things up a lot, including how fast the battery drains.

Even though I did not go out to some crazy range, I did find the signal very stable and never cut out on me, even when flying near power lines. With my Phantom 3, I would get signal drops from time to time, and I flew the MA2 in the same location with no drops in the signal. I have seen videos online where people traveled over 10,000 feet from the home point while still maintaining a constant signal the whole time. That is pretty impressive.

The video and photos are a lot better on the MA2, and it will take me a while to master all of the possible settings using the menus on screen for both video and photo settings. You can leave it on automatic or go through the menus (and there are several of them) to pick exactly what you want.

ADS-B is awesome, but it does have it's limitations. On my second flight, I got a warning that there was a maned aircraft in the area, and it allowed me to switch to the map so I could see the location and direction of travel of the plane. I could easily see on the map where the plane was coming from in relation to my drone, however, it does not tell you the altitude of the approaching maned aircraft. In my case I was at 156 feet altitude and in complete line of sight, while the approaching maned aircraft was showing an altitude of 4,566 feet on an air traffic app I was running in the background. I still dropped it down to 50 feet just to be safe and I really liked the heads up while I was flying so I could make sure I was not in the way of the approaching aircraft. I can see this coming in really handy in the case of a low flying helicopter or other aircraft.

I purchased the fly more combo, so I have 3 batteries and the charging hub. The hub will charge all 3 batteries, but it does so one at a time. Therefore if all 3 batteries were drained and put on the hub, you could be looking at over 4 hours to charge all three. The charger also has a separate cable to charge the remote, but coming from a Phantom where DJI advised against charging both the battery and the remote at the same time, I did not try to do this on this go around. I did not see anything in DJI's manuals about not charging at the same time, but since time was not of the essence this time I charged everything separately.

One thing I did notice is that if you do not set the RC to charge the phone during flight, my I-phone battery went from full to 20% after 3 full battery runs. It wasn't a big deal since I was done for the time being and had to charge the batteries anyway, but I was a little surprised how much drain on the phone the RC had during flight. In the future, I might try setting the RC to charge the phone during flight if I am going to be using multiple batteries at one time.

Overall, I am extremely impressed with the new MA2. I haven't even had a chance to try out a lot of the other features like object tracking and the special automated picture taking it is capable of doing, but from the videos online showing them in action I am sure I am going to be even more impressed once I figure them out. Needless to say, I am so glad I took the plunge and upgraded from my Phantom 3 Advanced.

ADS-B is awesome, but it does have it's limitations. ... the approaching maned aircraft was showing an altitude of 4,566 feet on an air traffic app I was running in the background.
... I can see this coming in really handy in the case of a low flying helicopter or other aircraft.
It's only going to help if those low flying helicopters and aircraft are using ADS-B.
How many show up on FlightRadar or whatever air traffic app you are using?

After flying a Phantom 3 Advance for over 4 years and racking up over 130 hours of flight time, I just upgraded to the Mavic Air 2 with ADS-B. If you want the short answer, the MA2 is a huge upgrade from the Phantom, and after only 4 flights now under my belt, I am really impressed with the new drone and am glad I upgraded. If you want the long answer, continue reading below.

I have really enjoyed the Phantom over the last 4 years, but packing it up each time to take it anywhere involved taking off props and lugging around an entire backpack to transport it. The Phantom also lacks a lot of features that DJI added to the MA2. I love that the MA2 (including the remote and batteries) folds up into the supplied pouch quickly leaving the props attached.

After receiving the MA2 fly more combo, I charged each battery separately for the first time to make sure I did not run into the problem some here found by bricking their batteries after trying the use the charging hub on the first charge. After the first charge, I used the charging hub with no problems. I found the bottom of the battery compartment made a perfect location to apply my FAA registration sticker.

While the batteries and charger were charging, it gave me time to go through and remove all the stickers on the drone, and there were a lot of them. There are multiple stickers on the arms, camera, body, gimbal protector, and even the battery. I actually missed a couple that I did not find until after the first flight, although they did not interfere with anything. The first time the AC is powered up the DJI Fly App automatically asked to link the new AC to my DJI account and then searched and showed the updated firmware, which I allowed it to download and install it so I was current and ready to go.

Before the first flight, I went through and performed a compass calibration and then went through and adjusted all of the other settings like the return to home height, action to take if the AC loses contact with the RC, making sure the ADS-B system was turned on, etc. After making all of the changes and going through the pre-flight checklist, it was up up and away for the maiden flight.

The first thing I noticed on launch is that the MA2 is a lot quieter than the Phantom 3. There is still a buzzing noise but not as loud as the Phantom. The MA2 has three drive modes - Tripod, Normal and Sport. Tripod is the slowest and least responsive to stick input. Normal speeds that up some, and seemed to be almost the same as the one mode that the Phantom 3 had. Sport goes to full speed and the stick input is a lot more sensitive meaning a little stick movement generates a much bigger change that when in tripod mode. I liked using sport mode to get to where I wanted to go and then used normal to move around what I wanted to film. On the way back to the home position I switched back into sport which sped things up a lot, including how fast the battery drains.

Even though I did not go out to some crazy range, I did find the signal very stable and never cut out on me, even when flying near power lines. With my Phantom 3, I would get signal drops from time to time, and I flew the MA2 in the same location with no drops in the signal. I have seen videos online where people traveled over 10,000 feet from the home point while still maintaining a constant signal the whole time. That is pretty impressive.

The video and photos are a lot better on the MA2, and it will take me a while to master all of the possible settings using the menus on screen for both video and photo settings. You can leave it on automatic or go through the menus (and there are several of them) to pick exactly what you want.

ADS-B is awesome, but it does have it's limitations. On my second flight, I got a warning that there was a maned aircraft in the area, and it allowed me to switch to the map so I could see the location and direction of travel of the plane. I could easily see on the map where the plane was coming from in relation to my drone, however, it does not tell you the altitude of the approaching maned aircraft. In my case I was at 156 feet altitude and in complete line of sight, while the approaching maned aircraft was showing an altitude of 4,566 feet on an air traffic app I was running in the background. I still dropped it down to 50 feet just to be safe and I really liked the heads up while I was flying so I could make sure I was not in the way of the approaching aircraft. I can see this coming in really handy in the case of a low flying helicopter or other aircraft.

I purchased the fly more combo, so I have 3 batteries and the charging hub. The hub will charge all 3 batteries, but it does so one at a time. Therefore if all 3 batteries were drained and put on the hub, you could be looking at over 4 hours to charge all three. The charger also has a separate cable to charge the remote, but coming from a Phantom where DJI advised against charging both the battery and the remote at the same time, I did not try to do this on this go around. I did not see anything in DJI's manuals about not charging at the same time, but since time was not of the essence this time I charged everything separately.

One thing I did notice is that if you do not set the RC to charge the phone during flight, my I-phone battery went from full to 20% after 3 full battery runs. It wasn't a big deal since I was done for the time being and had to charge the batteries anyway, but I was a little surprised how much drain on the phone the RC had during flight. In the future, I might try setting the RC to charge the phone during flight if I am going to be using multiple batteries at one time.

Overall, I am extremely impressed with the new MA2. I haven't even had a chance to try out a lot of the other features like object tracking and the special automated picture taking it is capable of doing, but from the videos online showing them in action I am sure I am going to be even more impressed once I figure them out. Needless to say, I am so glad I took the plunge and upgraded from my Phantom 3 Advanced.
Great review, thank you. I'm a P3A flyer with similar hours. My Mavic arrives in a few days and I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the new AC!

While the batteries and charger were charging, it gave me time to go through and remove all the stickers on the drone
This had me in complete stitches...:)...

It's only going to help if those low flying helicopters and aircraft are using ADS-B.

From what I understand, almost all aircraft had to have ADS-B installed by January, 2020. In today's case it was a small Cessna flying just under 5,000 feet as shown by the FlightRadar24 app I run in the background. You can also see it at flightradar24.com on your web browser.

From what I can tell over the last several months I have been using the app, it picks up most if not all aircraft. Since I have been home more lately, I have had a chance to go out when a plane is heard and every time I was able to pull up the info on the plane on the iPad showing the plane's speed, altitude, and sometimes even gives pictures of the plane and registration info. It has been fun to watch aircraft in my area and seeing where they have been, where they are going and the path they took. You can click on any plane to display that info.

oops, should have said while the batteries and remote controller were charging.......
Well, that's not what I meant, and actually, I didn't even catch that. I thought it was a very funny way to describe just how many stickers were on the little bugger. After all, it takes hours to charge the batteries...

Well, that's not what I meant, and actually, I didn't even catch that. I thought it was a very funny way to describe just how many stickers were on the little bugger. After all, it takes hours to charge the batteries...

That's funny... I thought that was what you meant, but the error just kept popping out on me and I couldn't just leave it alone... All kidding aside, there are a ton of stickers on it, and for a lot of them I have no idea why they were there in the first place.

When I bought my Mavic 2 Pro - and now recently the Mavic Air 2 - I was moving from a Phantom 4. The first thing I noticed was the quality of the Live View on my iPad. The best the P4 could do was 720p, and the M2P and MA2 are 1080p. The difference was very noticable.

From what I can tell over the last several months I have been using the app, it picks up most if not all aircraft.
From the FAA at: Frequently Asked Questions
When do I have to equip?
The rule requires ADS-B Out equipment by January 1, 2020, to operate in designated airspace. If you never fly into ADS-B-designated airspace, then there is no requirement to equip.

And in many other countries there is no requirement for general aviation aircraft to use ADSB.

I found the bottom of the battery compartment made a perfect location to apply my FAA registration sticker.

Just to be clear, the FAA registration number has to be on the outside of the AC. It cannot be in the battery compartment. Unless you want it in the compartment AND on the outside of the drone.

Just to be clear, the FAA registration number has to be on the outside of the AC. It cannot be in the battery compartment. Unless you want it in the compartment AND on the outside of the drone.

Good catch. I thought as long as it was accessible without using tools it was in compliance, but looking at the FAA page you are correct. It has been moved.

Reactions: Gindra
I like ADS B in. I rarely fly high enough to be in the path of fixed wing aircraft but helicopters are a different story. They can pop anywhere. The way it's displayed on the DJI Fly app is limited but it doesn't clutter the screen too badly

Great post thanks for the tip about Flightpath 24.
Things have changed a bit.
"it on the outside with the registration number and carry proof of registration with you."

Just experienced ADS-B in action with first test flight of my brand new Mavic Air 2 outside of my door. Less than 5 minutes into flight at 100 Ft. altitude I got warning of manned aircraft and location. Prevented stick movements to ascend or move to path of approaching low altitude helicopter. WOW! it roared by close enough and low enough to rattle the windows in my house. ADS-B good stuff.

• Wow
Reactions: Howard70 and Gindra
Prevented stick movements to ascend or move to path of approaching low altitude helicopter.
Are you saying that you were unable to move the drone in any direction while this warning was showing? I've had the warnings several times with my MA2, and I was still able to fully control it. If that is what you are saying, and if it is something new with the latest firmware, that seems very dangerous to me. Or maybe you meant you chose to not make any inputs until the heli passed through.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore