DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inspire 1 smacks into Seattle's Space Needle

Please ,, No Trolls here ok? You should keep just DroningOn!,
Yes? Thanks for your input. No debate here.
I think you need to calibrate your troll meter. @DroningOn made a very good point, which is that EXISTING laws already make what happened illegal. The idea that this video will (or should) be fuel for more regs is lunacy if we can't enforce the ones that are already on the books.

Reactions: RC5728
I think you need to calibrate your troll meter. @DroningOn made a very good point, which is that EXISTING laws already make what happened illegal. The idea that this video will (or should) be fuel for more regs is lunacy if we can't enforce the ones that are already on the books.
Agreed, Who's on the books? I'm not promoting the video by any means, just showing what hurts us as a industry. (Example?) It is historic data and why? Showing a bad example. Just that simple.

Agreed, Who's on the books? I'm not promoting the video by any means, just showing what hurts us as a industry. (Example?) It is historic data and why? Showing a bad example. Just that simple.

I'm not sure I understand your statement/question. But, showing videos of bad behavior, accidents, near-accidents, etc isn't a bad thing. It helps everyone to learn what happened, discuss the issues, and hopefully, encourage others not to repeat the circumstances that allowed the event to happen in the first place.

I don't know why I've latched on to the lawnmower analogy, but it works for me. Take these for example:

Child killed in lawnmower accident in upstate NY
4-year-old girl’s leg severed in lawnmower accident in American Fork
7-year-old injured after falling under lawn mower
Girl's leg partially amputated in lawn mower accident
Family urges lawn mower safety after son's accident
No charges filed in lawnmower death of toddler in Tabor City

These are real, substantial, and horrific accidents that involve just children. In most cases, there are no charges filed as it would appear they were accidental. Yet we don't see politicians on the national evening news declaring we need to register all lawnmowers, or that owners need to be certified. We don't have extra laws that penalize lawnmower operators for being reckless or having accidents,

But somehow when a single camera-equipped aerial platform runs into a building and does ZERO harm to ANYONE, suddenly there's a cry for more regulation.

Even the most vocal opponent of drone technology must concede that the level of regulation aimed at this industry is disproportionate to the risk. My question is WHY? IMHO, I think it's the "I don't want anyone to spy on me in my back yard" phenomenon. Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter. And neither does the proliferation (or lack) of videos like this. As I said before, regs and bans will come with or without these videos.

Reactions: RC5728
I'm not sure I understand your statement/question. But, showing videos of bad behavior, accidents, near-accidents, etc isn't a bad thing. It helps everyone to learn what happened, discuss the issues, and hopefully, encourage others not to repeat the circumstances that allowed the event to happen in the first place.

I don't know why I've latched on to the lawnmower analogy, but it works for me. Take these for example:

Child killed in lawnmower accident in upstate NY
4-year-old girl’s leg severed in lawnmower accident in American Fork
7-year-old injured after falling under lawn mower
Girl's leg partially amputated in lawn mower accident
Family urges lawn mower safety after son's accident
No charges filed in lawnmower death of toddler in Tabor City

These are real, substantial, and horrific accidents that involve just children. In most cases, there are no charges filed as it would appear they were accidental. Yet we don't see politicians on the national evening news declaring we need to register all lawnmowers, or that owners need to be certified. We don't have extra laws that penalize lawn mower operators for being reckless or having accidents.

And despite thousands of local stories in the news about people injured in lawnmower accidents. But somehow when a camera-equipped aerial platform runs into a building and does ZERO harm to ANYONE, suddenly there's a cry for more regulation.

Even the most vocal opponent of drone technology must concede that the level of regulation aimed at this industry is disproportionate to the risk. My question is WHY? IMHO, I think it's the "I don't want anyone to spy on me in my back yard" phenomenon. Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter. And neither does the proliferation (or lack) of videos like this. As I said before, regs and bans will come with or without these videos.
Ok, do you feel better now? Looks like you have made your point.

Ok, do you feel better now? Looks like you have made your point.

Ha... who's trolling whom now? ;) Yeah, this is an issue that does get under my skin. Not because it's about drones, but because of the illogical, in-your-face propaganda-level of fear mongering that's happening in the media - and the fact that most people buy it hook, line, and sinker. It's the classic case of government coming to fix a non-existing problem, only to create a list of unintended (but clearly predictable) consequences that are far worse that the 'problem'.

Reactions: DroningOn
Please ,, No Trolls here ok? You should keep just DroningOn!,
Yes? Thanks for your input. No debate here.
Sorry to interrupt your thread. :eek:
Sir, on such issues, debate is essential. Don't you dare accuse me of "trolling". While I admit I framed it sarcastically, it is a serious question. Please answer if you are able.
My point is the laws are already there. Civil, criminal or regulatory. Take your pick. No more bureaucratic "guidelines" are needed. What is needed is prosecution or litigation if it is warranted in this case.

Guys lets Think .Carry on but lets be nice :)
Think.jpg

@erkme73 More on your lawnmower analogy. Twenty some odd years ago in a college course we discussed the fact that lawnmowers carry a warning label that they should not be used as a hedge trimmer. People do stupid stuff every day, and legislating against people being stupid is a fools errand.

@DroningOn Since when has having existing laws on the books stopped lawmakers from crafting new laws to prevent the previously outlawed behavior?

Reactions: erkme73
@erkme73 More on your lawnmower analogy. Twenty some odd years ago in a college course we discussed the fact that lawnmowers carry a warning label that they should not be used as a hedge trimmer. People do stupid stuff every day, and legislating against people being stupid is a fools errand.

If 'a fools errand' is all it was, I wouldn't be nearly so worked up over it. Unfortunately, those incessant attempts at regulating morality and stupidity does nothing more than restrict the competent, law-abiding citizens... Making us criminals for using our equipment in perfectly safe and responsible ways...

Reactions: DroningOn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots