DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inspire 2 shot out of the air

Anything I see thats starts off
According to a post from XXXX.X. on Facebook
I just walk on by .:)

A shotgun blast.....
Looks like it was pretty close to the shooter to get enough penetration to make the battery burn.
I think this is a case of a little to close for comfort. Not saying the shooter was right, just saying the pilot should have had a bigger buffer.DJI-Inspire-2-drone-shot-out-of-the-air-in-Ohio.jpg

Looking at how closely grouped the pellets are I'd say he was flying lower than 168 feet. My guess would be between 70 and 100 feet, possibly lower.

Shot pattern looks strange to me but wasn't there so who knows .

Looking at the damage, obviously the shooter was close to the drone. There are people who fly near other peoples houses. There are people who do not fly near other peoples houses.

The shooter was certainly wrong and even criminal. But I don't even do ordinary landscape photography from locations where someone could step out their door and hit my Canon with their shotgun. They would need a rifle with scope to get me.

The Inspire in particular is a big and loud drone to be flying in a neighborhood for what was probably no reason beyond the pilots amusement.

After taking a closer look at the picture I think he was flying lower than I previously thought. If he was 168 feet up why are there pellet hits on the top of the arm. Looking at the damage it looks like the arms may have been down in the landing position. Also judging the penetration and the tightness of the pattern the shooter was quite close.

I'm not condoning the shooting of the drone, only making observations based on the picture and my own knowledge of shooting trap and patterning my own shotgun.

Maybe the shooter shot it again when it hits the ground.

I don't see any evidence of that in the picture. If the front of the drone is 0 degrees, the shot appears to come from about 80 degrees to the right. Looking at the top of the drone you see where some of the shot glanced off the drone giving some idea of the angle. I also see that same angle on the arm.

Thang goodness i live in a country where this would result in a loooong time bebind bars.

What sort of idiot discharges a firearm in a residential area.

After taking a closer look at the picture I think he was flying lower than I previously thought. If he was 168 feet up why are there pellet hits on the top of the arm. Looking at the damage it looks like the arms may have been down in the landing position. Also judging the penetration and the tightness of the pattern the shooter was quite close.

I'm not condoning the shooting of the drone, only making observations based on the picture and my own knowledge of shooting trap and patterning my own shotgun.
That's what I saw right away as well. It got enough penetration to short the battery, and the amount of shot that hit that small cross section has me thinking it was way closer than 100 feet.

Post mortem not withstanding...…
Very sad!
Is anything worthy of this...
Maybe if we just had a few more beers....or so it would seem.

Last edited:

Can’t imagine he would have gone to effort to lower arms after the recovery, so looks like arms where down at time of shooting.

I’m thinking the shooter winged it, then came in close for the kill, once the bird hit the ground. Cause it’s more humane to put it out of its misery.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman