DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insurance to cover fly-aways and Davy Jones drones?

OurAngryBadger

Reactions
Are there any specific drone insurance companies that cover this, that are tried and true?

I of course have DJI refresh, which doesn't cover unrecoverable drones. Allegedly, my state farm business insurance covers all of my photography equipment when used for business purposes (I have my doubts about this because they never asked for a list of my equipment or values and I think state farm is scamming me), but this also doesn't cover the drone when I'm using it for hobby.

So is there a specific drone insurance that is reliable and not overly expensive? That anyone here has used and can attest to?

Are there any specific drone insurance companies that cover this, that are tried and true?

I of course have DJI refresh, which doesn't cover unrecoverable drones. Allegedly, my state farm business insurance covers all of my photography equipment when used for business purposes (I have my doubts about this because they never asked for a list of my equipment or values and I think state farm is scamming me), but this also doesn't cover the drone when I'm using it for hobby.

So is there a specific drone insurance that is reliable and not overly expensive? That anyone here has used and can attest to?
State Farm, tried and true $60 a year for two drones

Reactions: Obsidian Sereniti
We use Aviation Specialty and they are tried and true. Had one "incident" (lost UAS in lake) and they paid our within 24 hours of completing the claim. They aren't cheap though but usually GOOD insurance isn't cheap when you NEED it.

As a personal lines carrier if they cover drones under a Personal Article Floater/Personal Article Policy. You may want to "suggest" that it is really about the same as camera equipment.

You can search this forum for more information as it has been discussed hundreds of times. Just search "State Farm".

@ the two people with state farm, did they ask for value, serial numbers, etc? My state farm didnt ask me any of rhat and insists all my business equipment is covered. (How would they even know im not lying about what equipment i lost if i made a claim?)

@ the two people with state farm, did they ask for value, serial numbers, etc? My state farm didnt ask me any of rhat and insists all my business equipment is covered. (How would they even know im not lying about what equipment i lost if i made a claim?)
If you obtained a policy it will show the limits on the first (Decleration) pages. Someone came up with the limits. You need to make sure that they are correct. The policy still only pays up to actual cash value or replacement cost (most likely, replacement cost).

I did have to bring in the equipment and show serial numbers and receipts. My quote was $70 per year based on M2Z and Fly More package. I don't have State Farm insurance for anything else, but maybe you do? And maybe that is why they didn’t need your info on the drone?

I originally tried State Farm but I was told by a local agent that they don't offer drone insurance. If you can get it elsewhere (other than in Oregon) it must be state by state. The Professional Photographers of America offers property damage/loss insurance if you are a member. Have be Part 107 to get liability coverage.

State Farm can vary greatly from state to state. In North Carolina, they would write the PAF—personal affects floater— policy to cover the drone but I had to have my homeowners insurance with them. In New York, Long Island, they wouldn’t write it at all.

Here a helpful link that lists threads already covering the subject that has been asked before.
Simply search on the word ‘insurance’

I hope that’s jolly helpful.

Statefarm personal property ins. $60/year and you don't need to recover the drone.

Be careful because when you make a claim on a personal policy as it can affect your homeowner’s and other personal insurance rates EVEN IF IT’S A DIFFERENT COMPANY. There is a central insurance claim reporting bureau that are just like credit bureaus. In the end it could cost you more than your drone as all claims hang in for 7 years. I learned this the hard way when we retired and moved down here to FL and had a $700 claim 4 years ago on a jewelry floater in NJ. Professional insurance is different but any personal claims can come back to haunt you for years to come.

EDIT: You can read about it and request your insurance records. It’s called a CLUE report.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31