DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Intel based android tablets and dji apps

ARM is a CPU architecture (Advanced RISC Machine being an descendent of the older RISC architecture), not a requirement/feature. The issue is having a platform that DJI supports, which course has to be capable of running 64-bit instructions. The Snapdragon chips for example uses the ARM architecture as it's base. Apple's A-Series chips are a custom version of ARM chips. Likewise Intel and AMD primarily use x86/x64 architectures for most of their Windows/Linux/etc systems as that is what most of the software has been made for (though OSes have been provided for other architectures over the years). Intel x64 based mobile devices isn't as common to see especially for Android (even less likely to see it as i64, based off the Itanium chips which windows had an install option for at one time).

So the magic numbers here least for DJI fly is basically :

64-bit operating system with 64-bit hardware support (most commonly ARMx64 for Android/Apple at the base)
3GB Ram minimum (4GB+ is ideal, but DJI fly will run with 3GB, but less may likely crash if it is able to run to begin with)
Android version 6+ or iOS 11+
Officially supported devices may show up in the App Store (Google Play, Apple App Store), but as of Android 11 it doesn't show up for a lot of devices and needs to be installed directly from DJI's download website.
This is by far the clearest explanation I've yet seen, and it makes perfect sense to me!

I still find it a bit odd that my Samsung phone runs DJI Fly just fine, but there are no Samsung tablets that do. Why might that be? Different HW and OS, I get, but why would Samsung make those choices? Are there any non-Samsung Android devices that run DJI Fly?

Do you have any insight as to why DJI Fly isn't on the Google Play Store anymore? That too strikes me as odd. Perhaps these issues are somehow linked...

Thanks!!!

:)

This is by far the clearest explanation I've yet seen, and it makes perfect sense to me!

I still find it a bit odd that my Samsung phone runs DJI Fly just fine, but there are no Samsung tablets that do. Why might that be? Different HW and OS, I get, but why would Samsung make those choices? Are there any non-Samsung Android devices that run DJI Fly?

Do you have any insight as to why DJI Fly isn't on the Google Play Store anymore? That too strikes me as odd. Perhaps these issues are somehow linked...

Thanks!!!

No Samsung tablets that do? Had it running fine in a Tab A7, S6, S7+, and think someone in this thread said it worked fine on their Tab A. (There are also plenty of non Samsung Android devices that run DJI fly).

The lack of it being in the play store doesn't mean it doesn't work. It mainly means DJI couldn't make a version of the app that complied with the Google play requirements for permissions/etc. For example as of android 11, gallery apps can no longer show/hide files and folders, if you have a hidden folder the app offered in the play store isn't allowed to view or unhide it, as such new versions of the app remove that functionality to remain in the play store.

In DJI case, since android 11 or so, you have to go to DJI website to download the apk and install it directly.

No Samsung tablets that do? Had it running fine in a Tab A7, S6, S7+, and think someone in this thread said it worked fine on their Tab A. (There are also plenty of non Samsung Android devices that run DJI fly).
There are none on the "approved" list, but that doesn't mean none will work. I have a Tab A 10.1, and it doesn't work.

If there's anyone who sees this who has gotten DJI Fly to run on a Tab A 10.1, please let me know how! It's already running Android 11.
The lack of it being in the play store doesn't mean it doesn't work. It mainly means DJI couldn't make a version of the app that complied with the Google play requirements for permissions/etc. For example as of android 11, gallery apps can no longer show/hide files and folders, if you have a hidden folder the app offered in the play store isn't allowed to view or unhide it, as such new versions of the app remove that functionality to remain in the play store.
I'm not quite tracking with this.

I know what the Gallery app is, but I'm not sure what "gallery apps" means. There's more than one?

What is it specifically that the Play Store wants (or forbids) that DJI Fly can't (or can) do?

Any clarification that you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thx.

There are none on the "approved" list, but that doesn't mean none will work. I have a Tab A 10.1, and it doesn't work.

If there's anyone who sees this who has gotten DJI Fly to run on a Tab A 10.1, please let me know how! It's already running Android 11.

I'm not quite tracking with this.

I know what the Gallery app is, but I'm not sure what "gallery apps" means. There's more than one?

What is it specifically that the Play Store wants (or forbids) that DJI Fly can't (or can) do?

Any clarification that you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thx.
Gallery apps as in what you can view photo albums in was giving a notable example of some of the ones that had to self cripple to stay in the play store.

If you haven't tried to download the apk directly from DJI website and download it then try that with the devices that don't show up in the play store.

And there's a couple different Galaxy tabs seems 2019 onward is ok. The Tab A 10.1" did come out in 2019, but a couple models depending on storage size only have 2gb of ram with larger ones having 3gb ram, DJI fly seems to need 3gb at the very minimum.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dave AA