DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Interesting one today

KingRat

Reactions
I went to fly over the site of the largest conventional weapons explosion ever. It happened in November 1944 at Fauld in Staffordshire. I used to catch rabbits in the crater 30 years ago, in that time the trees and shrubs have changed it from how I remembered it. The story is tragic, over 3500 tons of high explosive went up in the blast. It was a bomb store for the RAF. 90 souls were lost. An entire farm was destroyed with the farmhouse seen to be blown over 100 yards into the air. The blast was felt in Switzerland. The resulting crater is 1/4 mile across and 300 feet deep. Being in the Rememberance period and with my father, uncles and grandfather having fought in the war it is a local feature that I wanted to visit. I did some land based pictures of the memorial, warning signs that have been put up in the intervening 30 years and the view from the rim of the crater. I then went to launch the drone to get a suitable aerial picture of the magnitude of the crater and its place in the local landscape.

I logged my flight with the drone assist people. It gave me a warning of being close to a red zone and to fly with caution. Fine, I wasn't going to be doing anything fancy or far off. Up she went and I started to rotate the view to frame my shot when everything froze! A red warning box jumped up, I couldn't read it all as the type is too small, even on the tablet. It told me the RTH course would take me through a prohinited zone. The crater is still owned by the M.O.D. and the signal was jammed. I couldn't move it, left right, forward, backwards.... it wouldn't respond to any inputs whatsoever, but I still had a view through the camera. I tried the RTH and she moved a bit. That was enough to regain control and I flew her manually and took a couple of shots while I still could, then landed her in the grass field about 20 yards away.

The crater isn't manned or anything and it isn't close to any MOD active stations or sites, but is still MOD property - it is a nature paradise because no human activity takes place there. I wanted to shoot a panoramic, but that feature wouldn't respond even though a normal picture would. It said it was out of range - it was about 40 feet away!

I will go with what I have got, but if that happens, how do you regain control of the aircraft if RTH doesn't bring it out of the freeze? Do you just have to wait until it runs out of juice and lands in the trees below? I was above the treetops and with direct line of sight and only about 20 yards range at most. I think I took a sensible course of action to land the drone safely, but is there any other override I could have used?

This is why I run a screen recorder.
That said if you play the flight back in the control app you might be able to see the warning message, a feature I have only recently noticed lol.

What do you mean by a screen recorder? All this screen stuff is new to me. I have used a computer for a while, but my mobile had buttons until this year! I couldn't answer the phone for a week, I could ring out, I could send a text, I could receive a text but I couldn't answer the phone, it rang and I was pressing the green telephone like mad but it wouldn't answer. I went back to the phone shop and told them... they rang it and I tried to answer it.... how was I supposed to know you had to SWIPE the green phone? After 15 years of pressing it, I naturally continued to press it.

It's an app etc. that captures in video the screen. I use Xrecorder Screen Recorder & Video Recorder - XRecorder – Apps on Google Play
there are probably equivalents for Apple stuff.

I know where you are coming from I had to google how to find the numberpad on the one I use to fly my mavic mini.
Did you look at the replay?
On the front page of the app press "me" down at the bottom of the page, then "flight record" then croll up to see the flight list and choose the appropriate flight.

It's an app etc. that captures in video the screen. I use Xrecorder Screen Recorder & Video Recorder - XRecorder – Apps on Google Play
there are probably equivalents for Apple stuff.

I know where you are coming from I had to google how to find the numberpad on the one I use to fly my mavic mini.
Did you look at the replay?
On the front page of the app press "me" down at the bottom of the page, then "flight record" then croll up to see the flight list and choose the appropriate flight.

I will see if I can do it over the weekend. Hopefully going fishing tomorrow (today!)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike