Join Us Now

Interesting Video Transmission Failure during little-to-no interference

karlblessing

Gerbil Charmer Extraordinaire
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
karlblessing.com
Ran into an interesting video transmission issue twice today.

The first time I was out at Murphy's Point, and even grabbed a screenshot of the transmission chart showing the level of interference in the area. It's a large state recreational area (with surrounding public hunting grounds), lots of wilderness, nothing really out there electronic.

Good flight around me (no greater than 2k feet at the most), then near the end I was about 600 feet south of myself, where I had already flown over just fine that the video preview on my screen starts doing that really weird broken connection looking artifacts, which kept increasing as it would stack on top of each other as movement rippled the artifact, so I headed it back towards me.

murphypoint.jpg

Noticed when I tried to do a quick transfer after I landed, it wouldn't go over 3~4MB/s with a note saying high interference area (but the transmission screen didn't show anything), kind of figured maybe someone started something after they saw me flying around, but highly doubt it.

So then I head up to Lowell, which is a small rural/suburban-ish town that has a large flour mill nearby. I fly around the river where the old boat sits and on my way back the same degradation of the video shows again and gets worse. The kicker of course here is that it's not even 100 feet away from me (15 feet out, 88 feet up), and does that tearing video transmission as I land.

Lowell.jpg

Also provided a screenshot at the exact moment the video transmission starts tearing up, along with a capture off the footage later showing the footage unaffected, just the transmission. Never had that issue since I got the Mini 2 til today.

Only real change has been
1) Using the 1.2.1 Fly App on android
and
2) Video cache is turned off in the app (only photo copies get saved on the phone, videos stays strictly on the drone).

ND32 fitted for the first, ND16 for the second, never had any issue prior with the ND filters on either the Mini 2 or previous Mini 1, and highly unlikely that would have an impact on transmission.

Still had full control and could see all the information updating on the screen. just the live feed from the drone to my screen was getting all screwed up like a transmission issue and making it hard to see what was being viewed thru the drone's lens.

So yea, twice in a day, once 600 feet out, and again at less than 100 feet out. The small town actually seemed to have less overall interference than out on the lake/reserve.

Weather today in both areas was less than 5mph winds (no more than 6 to 8mph gusts), temperatures mid-to-high 40s (F).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots