DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Iowa Battleship and Big Brother

Rather late to the party, but are you legally allowed to post the footage if you were there illegally?

I have been looking into this as well. Long Beach and the port of Los Angels are sort of split down the middle. Both basiclly have the same rules, mainly no drone zone without written approval. The key is where are the boundaries. On the San Pedro side is the Port of Los Angeles, from their own site everything in color is considered port of LA.

Terminal Map | Port of Los Angeles Cargo Facilities | Terminals | Business | Port of Los Angeles

So according to that map, you can not be standing in the parking lot and launch a drone legally. However, just across the street it is NOT part of the port. It's San Pedro which from what I understand is not an incorporated city, it's just a neighborhood of LA. So no city laws about flying drones, they revert to LA county which should be OK to fly.

FYI, the hills way in the back however become Palos Verdes which DOES HAVE no drone laws including from public parks. So be careful, don't launch from PV. That's why I think Point Fermin in San Pedro is a popular legal launch site but travel down the cost a few miles it becomes PV and Kerens in their upper middle class houses with ocean views will be calling the drone police.

The easy answer is move away from such a restrictive place to fly, but I totally understand why launch and recovery is restricted in that area.

A lifeguard and Cabrillo Wedge claimed a drone pilot was hauled away by a dozen or so Navy Seal looking guys. Left his car behind. The off limit area in red is the penitentiary.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000