DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Mini 2 and Litchi software

Patc50

Reactions
Hi there, new pilot here, DJI Mini SE I have bought the Litchi software and saw that it works with IOS 12 (unlike the DJI Fly software). So I dusted off my old iPad mini 2 and checked the software version which is IOS 12.5.6 and sure enough it all seemed to work. However, after about 10 minutes in to the flight it 'disconnected' but I was able to land the drone safely. My question is, was this a one-off glitch or is the Mini 2 processor not powerful enough to cope with the drone? Any info from other iPad Mini 2 users would be most helpful.
Thanks

Hi there, new pilot here, DJI Mini SE I have bought the Litchi software and saw that it works with IOS 12 (unlike the DJI Fly software). So I dusted off my old iPad mini 2 and checked the software version which is IOS 12.5.6 and sure enough it all seemed to work. However, after about 10 minutes in to the flight it 'disconnected' but I was able to land the drone safely. My question is, was this a one-off glitch or is the Mini 2 processor not powerful enough to cope with the drone? Any info from other iPad Mini 2 users would be most helpful.
Thanks
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!
Drop by the pilot’s
check-in to introduce yourself.

More information would be helpful. How far out were you when you were disconnected? How high? What was the environment like?

Good point. As it was a test flight I was in my garden hovering at about 30 meters (98 feet) high. I made a few simple movements backwards and forwards and took a few photos and videos - they worked fine. Little or no wind but there are other houses nearby. After about 10 minutes I went to land so touched the iPad screen, touched 'Land' but nothing happened. I then noticed that it said 'Disconnected' at the top of the screen. I landed it by using the joystick. I think it disconnected from the GPS as the disconnected warning was where the green GPS sign is located.
I was wondering whether other users use a iPad Mini 2 successfully or not?
Any info appreciated.
Thanks

Reactions: GFields
Good point. As it was a test flight I was in my garden hovering at about 30 meters (98 feet) high. I made a few simple movements backwards and forwards and took a few photos and videos - they worked fine. Little or no wind but there are other houses nearby. After about 10 minutes I went to land so touched the iPad screen, touched 'Land' but nothing happened. I then noticed that it said 'Disconnected' at the top of the screen. I landed it by using the joystick. I think it disconnected from the GPS as the disconnected warning was where the green GPS sign is located.
I was wondering whether other users use a iPad Mini 2 successfully or not?
Any info appreciated.
Thanks
I have successfully used the iPad Mini 4. I would do another test flight to see if it reoccurs. This could be the result of several different factors, radio interference, etc. Try using a different cable. Have you tried using a smart phone?

I now use the Trplteck Pro 8 with all my drones. Some of which are non DJI

Thanks for the info - will definitely try another test flight. It all works well with my smart phone (iPhone SE 2020) but I'd like a larger screen and my old iPad Mini was almost redundant so I thought I'd give it a try.

The Fly app is fairly resource intensive and most people have found that they get a CPU overloaded error with up to a iPad Mini 4 depending on the flight situation. I would think that the iPad Mini 2 would be a bit underpowered for that. Litchi on the other hand may run on a less powerful processor but it shouldn't be in the form of a disconnection. I would think you would get a CPU warning if it were having issues with the power of the iPad. Maybe look into the cable issue as @GFields suggested or perhaps there is interference since the Mini SE uses enhanced wifi transmission protocol as opposed to Occusync.

I use Litchi with an iPad 5th gen. It is about 5 (?) years old. About once / flying session I will get a “disconnected” message. I find if I unplug the cable from the iPad and plug it back in again, it sorts itself out. This is a cable independent observation.
I will also fly with DJI Go 4, then force close that app while flying, bring up Litchi, shoot panos, then force close Litchi and jump back to Go 4.

• Wow
Reactions: Octavio
Thanks
Please note that DJI Fly App gets downloaded via the RQ code supplied and specific Android and iOS versions must be installed on your device to be able to run the DJI Fly app.
The DJI Fly app requires Android version 6.0 or superior.
The DJI Fly app requires iOS 11.0 or superior.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan