DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini 5 question

RZR12

Reactions
I've looked but can't find a posting about settings on the iPad mini. I just bought a new mini 5. I'm pretty new and on my first drone, older than most pilots and don't retain like I used to ? I like most had trouble seeing the screen on my iPhone X and iPad Air, the iPad was cumbersome so that's why I got the mini 5 because of posts on the forum. Can anyone tell me just what the settings should be on the mini 5 Cellular, airplane, disable the bluetooth etc. I did fly with it once and being able to see the monitor was far better than in the past. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Last edited:
I've looked but can't find a posting about settings on the iPad mini. I just bought a new mini 5. I'm pretty new and on my first drone, older than most pilots and don't retain like I used to ? I like most had trouble seeing the screen on my iPhone X and iPad Air, the iPad was cumbersome so that's why I got the mini 5 because of posts on the forum. Can anyone tell me just what the settings should be on the mini 5 Cellular, airplane, disable the bluetooth etc. I did fly with it once and being able to see the monitor was far better than in the past. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Hey I’ve made an iOS shortcut to make it super easy for you. Prepare to Fly!

Click the link above from your iPad and then add to shortcuts. If you don’t have the short cuts app already installed it will ask you if you want to install it. It’s an Apple app and I think it comes preinstalled anyway. Once you have it added you’ll be in the shortcuts app. Click library at the bottom and click the 3 dots next to the Prepare to Fly! shortcut.

Click “add to home screen” and “add to Siri” options. Now you will have the Prepare to Fly! Shortcut on your home screen and it will look like an blue app icon with a ? on it.

When you click on the app it will:

Turn your screen brightness all the way up>
Open DJI Go 4 >

After 20 seconds it will put your iPad into airplane mode. This gives DJI Go 4 enough time to download any maps it needs and establish your current position.>

You can also tell Siri to “prepare to fly!” And she will run the shortcut for you!

So cool right? ?

Hey I’ve made an iOS shortcut to make it super easy for you. Prepare to Fly!

Click the link above from your iPad and then add to shortcuts. If you don’t have the short cuts app already installed it will ask you if you want to install it. It’s an Apple app and I think it comes preinstalled anyway. Once you have it added you’ll be in the shortcuts app. Click library at the bottom and click the 3 dots next to the Prepare to Fly! shortcut.

Click “add to home screen” and “add to Siri” options. Now you will have the Prepare to Fly! Shortcut on your home screen and it will look like an blue app icon with a ? on it.

When you click on the app it will:

Turn your screen brightness all the way up>
Open DJI Go 4 >

After 20 seconds it will put your iPad into airplane mode. This gives DJI Go 4 enough time to download any maps it needs and establish your current position.>

You can also tell Siri to “prepare to fly!” And she will run the shortcut for you!

So cool right? ?
Yes cool this helps a lot thanks brett8883

Reactions: brett8883
Let's say I buy the latest ipad mini(not sure if this means ipad mini5 or what?) and I just want to fly.Is it the case that all I must do is use your shortcut and then fly? No dealing with maps or anything else? The short cut you made sounds awesome! I must add that I am not certain as to whether the latest mini and the mini5 are two different things? Thanks.

Let's say I buy the latest ipad mini(not sure if this means ipad mini5 or what?) and I just want to fly.Is it the case that all I must do is use your shortcut and then fly? No dealing with maps or anything else? The short cut you made sounds awesome! I must add that I am not certain as to whether the latest mini and the mini5 are two different things? Thanks.
The “Prepare to fly!” shortcut will work with any iOS device.

It will automatically:

• Turns your screen brightness to maximum
  • Opens DJI Go 4
  • After 1 minute it will turn on Airplane mode (I’ve lengthened the time because it usually takes longer for the drone to get GPS and download the correct map)
I also have another shortcut called “Done Flying” which returns the iOS device back to normal state. It will:

• Turn airplane mode off
  • Return screen brightness back to normal
Get “Done Flying” shortcut

I do wanna know if I buy a latest model mini do I need to get the one with gps and cellular for any reason? I currently use iphone 6 plus and the go 4 app and goggles to fly. I am considering the new mini for the upgrade itself as well as the larger screen. I

I do wanna know if I buy a latest model mini do I need to get the one with gps and cellular for any reason? I currently use iphone 6 plus and the go 4 app and goggles to fly. I am considering the new mini for the upgrade itself as well as the larger screen. I
There are some features that use the gps location of the operator which would require the mobile device to have GPS but honestly they are kinda few and far between.

For instance, the ability to update the home point to the user’s current location. In Litchi there is the ability to set a point of interest at the mobile devices location or a waypoint at the mobile devices location. This is for the Mavic 2, there are a couple more uses for the Mavic Pro but none of them are all that compelling. All of them have to do with a moving operator of course. The ability to download maps on the fly is really the only good reason for the cellular version.

I’m told if it really becomes a feature you want to add that garmin sells a device that can give the device FPS information via blue tooth.

you don't need the cellular version to fly but if you want to have GPS than the cellular is what you need

There are some features that use the gps location of the operator which would require the mobile device to have GPS but honestly they are kinda few and far between.

For instance, the ability to update the home point to the user’s current location. In Litchi there is the ability to set a point of interest at the mobile devices location or a waypoint at the mobile devices location. This is for the Mavic 2, there are a couple more uses for the Mavic Pro but none of them are all that compelling. All of them have to do with a moving operator of course. The ability to download maps on the fly is really the only good reason for the cellular version.

I’m told if it really becomes a feature you want to add that garmin sells a device that can give the device FPS information via blue tooth.

I'm not educated on the discussion about "maps" and downloading them before or during flying. I go buy the new model mini iPad and I want to fly. I envision downloading dji go4 onto the new mini and then flying with the new iPad. Must I concern myself with maps?. That's all I did when I started with my iPhone 6 Plus.

I envision downloading dji go4 onto the new mini and then flying with the new iPad. Must I concern myself with maps?.
You don't need maps to fly, the drone will fly perfectly without them.
And the maps are of limited use anyway.
I've only used the map twice in 4 years of flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial