DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad Mini 5

jmbsmt63

Reactions
Ipad Mini 5 W/cellular 2019) ...Overheats and just shuts off/black screen with a thermometer icon...

Now, before I go into this...I do live in Phoenix where yes, it is hot and sunny all day....I was out in the sun but I had the tablet in the shade from my body. No case on the tablet and only the Go4 app running in airplane mode...I felt it getting hot in my hands! This is my first trial of an Apple device for droning. I have used a few different android devices extensively with the app and various drones in the same conditions including a brand new Samsung S5e tablet and have never had them overheat.

I picked up a New Mini to experiment with the M2P. Although I agree it is about perfect for the DJI app and it fits great in the controller, it overheats about 10-15 min into a flight. Shuts down and a blank screen...Had to hit the RTH and then use the controller when close...
Any thoughts? besides the obvious "what do you expect in the 105-degree heat"

As I said, the other tablets/phones have never done this

Ipad Mini 5 W/cellular 2019) ...Overheats and just shuts off/black screen with a thermometer icon...

Now, before I go into this...I do live in Phoenix where yes, it is hot and sunny all day....I was out in the sun but I had the tablet in the shade from my body. No case on the tablet and only the Go4 app running in airplane mode...I felt it getting hot in my hands! This is my first trial of an Apple device for droning. I have used a few different android devices extensively with the app and various drones in the same conditions including a brand new Samsung S5e tablet and have never had them overheat.

I picked up a New Mini to experiment with the M2P. Although I agree it is about perfect for the DJI app and it fits great in the controller, it overheats about 10-15 min into a flight. Shuts down and a blank screen...Had to hit the RTH and then use the controller when close...

Although the Mini 5 has more than ample processing grunt have you set up the iPad to put as little strain as possible whilst flying in that sort of heat?

As per.....

Last edited:
Although the Mini 5 has more than ample processing grunt have you have set up the iPad to put as little strain as possible whilst flying in that sort of heat?

As per.....

I did follow the recommendations that you referenced ( I have used that same page/info to set up/optimize the android devices also)

I agree that the "new" Mini should have enough grunt ...and in 100+ heat (even if in the shade) I am already beyond it's recommended parameters of 95 degrees...I am honestly just amazed/concerned about the fact that it just goes black without any warning!

This time of year with a mini above 100 degrees is going to fail when you don’t want it to. As you said, past 95 degrees, you’re at risk. Mine always gives me a few clues before it goes black.
The heat on a mini is a known issue that has had numerous comments for the last several years and I don’t see any change coming from Apple.
Early morning is the best solution.

It’s a bit difficult to know how to respond other than ‘what do you expect’. You’re running the device outside of the manufacturer’s stated operating parameters and by your own admission.

I for one would be pretty annoyed if the device didn’t shut down and suffered a terminal failure when the device was overheating and Apple’s response was something along the lines of ‘Well we told you not to do it but didn’t bother implementing any failsafe functions...’.

Sure of it was shutting down when being run in 85f heat or even 90f then I’d also be annoyed but the specs are well advertised.

Below is a quote which summarises pretty much what all the tech sites say on the matter.

—-
Apple lists the normal temperature operating range for the iPad as 32° – 95° F. While using the device below the freezing point may cause the screen to lag a bit, it will still function. However, if you’re using the iPad at the other temperature extreme, it will eventually resort to a thermal protection mode and become completely unusable until the internal temperature of the device is reduced. The primary reason for this is to protect the internal lithium-polymer battery (bad things can happen if they get too hot).
—-

Reactions: jmbsmt63
Apple products in general despise heat. This is the norm for most of their devices...

I'm sure I've seen a little cooling fan device somewhere that sits behind the phone/tablet I'll see if I can find it and post a link

I wonder if the larger ipads have larger heatsinking area, and thus handle the heat better. You might consider borrowing a large (ipad 9.x" or 12.x") and testing. Also, I guess test some late-model android tablets. That's probably obvious, sorry I don't have much good advice here.

I was in phoenix a couple of weeks ago (actually ended up down on the Barry M Goldwater bomb range) and it was QUITE hot. 113*F when my plane landed. I wonder how anything works there :) And I'm from Florida.

It’s a bit difficult to know how to respond other than ‘what do you expect’. You’re running the device outside of the manufacturer’s stated operating parameters and by your own admission.

I for one would be pretty annoyed if the device didn’t shut down and suffered a terminal failure when the device was overheating and Apple’s response was something along the lines of ‘Well we told you not to do it but didn’t bother implementing any failsafe functions...’.

Sure of it was shutting down when being run in 85f heat or even 90f then I’d also be annoyed but the specs are well advertised.

Below is a quote which summarises pretty much what all the tech sites say on the matter.

—-
Apple lists the normal temperature operating range for the iPad as 32° – 95° F. While using the device below the freezing point may cause the screen to lag a bit, it will still function. However, if you’re using the iPad at the other temperature extreme, it will eventually resort to a thermal protection mode and become completely unusable until the internal temperature of the device is reduced. The primary reason for this is to protect the internal lithium-polymer battery (bad things can happen if they get too hot).
—-

I do realize and expect that my environment is beyond the operating parameters and it seems that it is quite normal for the Apple devices to be a bit more "aggressive" with the cool-down procedure. Again, I use primarily android but an upgrade was looming and wanted to try the Mini for the DJI Go app. The experiment failed for my needs.
The biggest take-away from this and the responses I have reviewed where I have posted this is that this is a normal thing in my particular situation/environment/temperature!
I guess my biggest concern and what makes the IPad Mini un-usable for me then is the fact that it just goes black and leaves me flying with no image...
The Android devices I have would give a warning and the screen will dim slightly. A better strategy before just going black like the Mini.

I do realize and expect that my environment is beyond the operating parameters and it seems that it is quite normal for the Apple devices to be a bit more "aggressive" with the cool-down procedure. Again, I use primarily android but an upgrade was looming and wanted to try the Mini for the DJI Go app. The experiment failed for my needs.
The biggest take-away from this and the responses I have reviewed where I have posted this is that this is a normal thing in my particular situation/environment/temperature!
I guess my biggest concern and what makes the IPad Mini un-usable for me then is the fact that it just goes black and leaves me flying with no image...
The Android devices I have would give a warning and the screen will dim slightly. A better strategy before just going black like the Mini.
A couple of things might help with the cooling of the iPad. Make sure it is not in a case, and make sure it is completely shaded, and use a hood so you can dial back the display brightness from max as far as possible. Lastly, the full size 9.7” iPad has a much larger surface area to dissipate heat better, and is much thinner than the Mini, so less heat builds up inside of it. I would recommend the latest 9.7” iPad over the Mini 5 for flying. I use both an iPad Air 2 and the original 9.7” iPad Pro with much better results in heat than any of the Mini's.

A couple of things might help with the cooling of the iPad. Make sure it is not in a case, and make sure it is completely shaded, and use a hood so you can dial back the display brightness from max as far as possible. Lastly, the full size 9.7” iPad has a much larger surface area to dissipate heat better, and is much thinner than the Mini, so less heat builds up inside of it. I would recommend the latest 9.7” iPad over the Mini 5 for flying. I use both an iPad Air 2 and the original 9.7” iPad Pro with much better results in heat than any of the Mini's.

Thank You for the reply,
It was not in a case and it was shielded from the direct sun by my body.
Yes, a sun shield of some sort or using it in a shaded area might work but the worst is that it just "went black" leaving me blind. That is the biggest concern and seems to be the norm for this device.
The "bigger" Ipads might be better but I was trying not to get that big and I loved the size and form factor of the Mini. That was what prompted the "experiment".
I have always been an android user but have not found an 8" android tablet with good enough brightness and performance. But, they never just blacked-out like the mini.
I am currently researching and experimenting with 10" tablets and the required holders and hope to find a balance. I was not looking to go to that size but nothing else in an 8" size is working at this point.

Thank You for the reply,
It was not in a case and it was shielded from the direct sun by my body.
Yes, a sun shield of some sort or using it in a shaded area might work but the worst is that it just "went black" leaving me blind. That is the biggest concern and seems to be the norm for this device.
The "bigger" Ipads might be better but I was trying not to get that big and I loved the size and form factor of the Mini. That was what prompted the "experiment".
I have always been an android user but have not found an 8" android tablet with good enough brightness and performance. But, they never just blacked-out like the mini.
I am currently researching and experimenting with 10" tablets and the required holders and hope to find a balance. I was not looking to go to that size but nothing else in an 8" size is working at this point.
I find that the full 9.7” iPad has the perfect balance and actually feels significantly lighter than the smaller iPad Mini's. Its larger size distributes the weight further away from the center of gravity for better balance, and it is thinner, too. They are cheaper, too, if you get the lowest price version!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser