DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini flying

Andy57824

Reactions
Hi all.
I am looking for some advice on buying a iPad mini for my mavic air 2 and mini but not sure which one to buy. I previously tried an old iPad but wouldn’t let me download the DJI Fly app. Which iPad should I get and what version?
Thank you in advance.

Hi all.
I am looking for some advice on buying a iPad mini for my mavic air 2 and mini but not sure which one to buy. I previously tried an old iPad but wouldn’t let me download the DJI Fly app. Which iPad should I get and what version?
Thank you in advance.
I like the mini 5, with WiFi only. If I need maps, I connect to my iPhone hotspot. If you have a pile of money, go ahead and get cellular, but you don’t need it to fly. Depending on what you want to use the iPad for, you may not need a lot of memory. Since mine is dedicated to flight only, I have the minimum. Never had a problem of IOS connection and Go 4 being dropped during flight. I use an Anker cable to connect to the USB port. Very dependable.

Get a mini 5, runs cooler, much more bandwidth for updates as they become more complex. I would also spend the money for an unactivated cell version as it has a GPS built in for return to home at the RC! You can also do some video editing of your streams after the day is done.
Just my 2 cents

Try to avoid buying older iPads if you intend to use one of the third-party apps like Dronelink (which add a lot of extra functionality to the Mini). They need the fastest, most recent processor for the best performance.

I like the mini 5, with WiFi only. If I need maps, I connect to my iPhone hotspot. If you have a pile of money, go ahead and get cellular, but you don’t need it to fly. Depending on what you want to use the iPad for, you may not need a lot of memory. Since mine is dedicated to flight only, I have the minimum. Never had a problem of IOS connection and Go 4 being dropped during flight. I use an Anker cable to connect to the USB port. Very dependable.
That's the route I took. It is really my first Apple product. Aspects frustrate the hell out of me (trying to move files directly to/from it from my pc) but now I can Facetime with my sister (which I considered when purchasing it). Works fine and fits in the jaws of the controller but you do need a longer lightning cord.

Get a mini 5, runs cooler, much more bandwidth for updates as they become more complex. I would also spend the money for an unactivated cell version as it has a GPS built in for return to home at the RC! You can also do some video editing of your streams after the day is done.
Just my 2 cents

fyi...You do not need cellular or GPS within the iPad mini for RTH.

Try to avoid buying older iPads if you intend to use one of the third-party apps like Dronelink (which add a lot of extra functionality to the Mini). They need the fastest, most recent processor for the best performance.
@maelstrom, what would you consider to be the minimum iPad Mini to properly run Litchi/DroneLink etc. and screen save while caching videos? Mini4, Mini5?
Thanks

@maelstrom, what would you consider to be the minimum iPad Mini to properly run Litchi/DroneLink etc. and screen save while caching videos? Mini4, Mini5?
Thanks

Whilst the iPad Mini 4 would probably work OK, I'd go for the Mini 5. It has a much faster processor which will help with the third-party apps. It also has an extra gigabyte of internal RAM which can only be a good thing.

I bought the iPad mini 5 but chose the 256 gb version so I could use it for other purposes if I wanted to. I actually have two other ipads, the older one same problem wouldn't download the fly app, 2nd one would work but I wanted a lighter version, hence the mini 5. The reviews on the mini 5 were impressive from all quarters and I got my version on sale for $488. I bought a case cover from HD accessories dirt cheap for 11.99. It makes transporting the ipad a lot easier to deal with. Other case versions were 45. + Very pleased with all the gear, MM, MA2, ipad mini 5 and HD case as well as a GPC hardshell case.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi