DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad Mini thoughts

Territorian

Reactions
Hi there I was wondering if I could get some of you guys thoughts on the Ipad Mini as a dedicated screen for my Mavic Air. Do I need to have a WiFi/Cellular model to use this or can it just be a WiFi model. I am of the understanding the WiFi only models don't have a GPS so would this be an issue.
Cheers

Hi there I was wondering if I could get some of you guys thoughts on the Ipad Mini as a dedicated screen for my Mavic Air. Do I need to have a WiFi/Cellular model to use this or can it just be a WiFi model. I am of the understanding the WiFi only models don't have a GPS so would this be an issue.
Cheers

iPad mini is great but if you are looking for a dedicated screen, you aren’t expecting to use it for other things, I’d probably look for a crystal sky honestly. As much as I like the iPad mini it still has issues with the sun but besides that it’s a great choice

Reactions: Ranger
I am of the understanding the WiFi only models don't have a GPS so would this be an issue.
Your Mavic has a perfectly good GPS receiver that is the only GPS receiver it needs for everything except Follow-Me flight and resetting the home point to the controller's location (for flying from a moving car ot boat).

iPad mini is great but if you are looking for a dedicated screen, you aren’t expecting to use it for other things, I’d probably look for a crystal sky honestly. As much as I like the iPad mini it still has issues with the sun but besides that it’s a great choice
Thanks Brett8883 yes just wanted a good screen to be able to see it in the sun but didn't know if I needed the GPS in the Ipad
Cheers

Your Mavic has a perfectly good GPS receiver that is the only GPS receiver it needs for everything except Follow-Me flight and resetting the home point to the controller's location (for flying from a moving car ot boat).
Thanks Meta4
So your saying that it will need to have the GPS to reset the Home point on the controller. Being able to fly from a car or boat would be a handy feature.

So your saying that it will need to have the GPS to reset the Home point on the controller. Being able to fly from a car or boat would be a handy feature.
Very few people ever fly from a moving car or boat but if you wanted to, you still don't need to reset the home point to the current location of the controller.
People that do fly while moving are usually shooting their car or boat and don't fly too far away.
As soon as you reset, the new HP is out of date because of the movement and you won't want to land on a moving boat or car anyway.
As the main reason for resetting is to prevent the drone disappearing towards the launch point when the battery is getting low, resetting to the current location of the drone works just as well and you can do that without a GPS enabled tablet.
I've done both and either method is just as good.

The iPad mini 5 is superb because it has an enhanced bright screen and is well bright in sunlight. cellular is not needed unless you want to use follow me, however you can just bring it to your current location with the sticks if you want to save yourself an extra 150 notes

My iPad mini 4 is lousy.. most people tell me it is because of slow processor. The size is perfect but the screen gets all scrambled up sometimes to the point in which you can’t see anything. Seems worse when it gets hot. But I’m not sure if it has to with that. I’ve tried it with DJI GO and DJI GO4 same problem. I was trying to follow a fast moving boat this morning and I kept losing picture.

I also frequently get the CPU Fully loaded or something to that effect.message . I have everything stripped from it, it’s updated and nothing running except DJI GO

does iPad 5 have a faster processor?

I use the I pad mini and it is GREAT.......I just added the sun shade for real sunny days....

I have the SC but for my other drones when I sit and fly for hours I wanted something else .. the iPad mini is not very bright.

Problem with crystal sky is you need that expensive bracket right? is it inconvenient to set up? Anyone have pics of crystal sky set up?

I have the SC but for my other drones when I sit and fly for hours I wanted something else .. the iPad mini is not very bright.

Problem with crystal sky is you need that expensive bracket right? is it inconvenient to set up? Anyone have pics of crystal sky set up?
One of the best set ups is a tripod. If you have one then you only need the b tripod mount from mav mount. It's $29
The tripod is best because the 7.85 inch models get heavy
You will also need a cord. I recommend about 6' long

The iPad mini 5 is superb because it has an enhanced bright screen and is well bright in sunlight. cellular is not needed unless you want to use follow me, however you can just bring it to your current location with the sticks if you want to save yourself an extra 150 notes
The iPad mini 5, which I have is not good in sunlight. It's about half as bright of a galaxy s9. I use it with a hood.

I use a iPad Mini 4 Wi-fi only and find it excellent. It's mounted on a
KUUQA Aluminium Alloy Foldable Tablet Stand Holder and the spring-loaded tablet holder is just strong enough to hold it securely without squeezing the Mac Mini. I also use a PENIVO Sun Hood which slips over both ends. I haven't found an anti-glare screen protector better than the Mini screen itself. The connecting cable is a Rantow Nylon Braided Video Date Cable.MA controller and mac mini.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929