DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad minis with wifi+cellular, does it need a sim?

Jhun80

Reactions
Planning to buy an ipad mini 2/3 for my M2P’s RC, does the cellular version needs to be unlocked or simfree if i want just the gps to be activated? Of course i have to connect to the wifi just for firmware updates.

Thanks

does the cellular version needs to be unlocked or simfree if i want just the gps to be activated?
No. GPS works even if the cellular service is not active.

Reactions: Jhun80
Just to add.. I've got an original iPad Air.. I pulled the SIM card when I upgraded to an iPad Pro. The GPS works just as well without the SIM as it did when it was in place.

The only thing of note... When I boot the iPad Air cold, I get small window popping up saying "No SIM card installed". Tapping OK closes it. You don't see this window when waking it up from sleep.

No. The only real benefit to having the cellular version is because Apple doesn't even give you GPS in a $2000+ iPad Pro unless it has cellular. You don't need the GPS either unless you plan on using dynamic home points. I guess you could update your firmware in the field too but that wold require a SIM and a data plan, and most people would do that on WiFi at home.

Planning to buy an ipad mini 2/3 for my M2P’s RC, does the cellular version needs to be unlocked or simfree if i want just the gps to be activated? Of course i have to connect to the wifi just for firmware updates.

Thanks
Im not sure if a 2 or 3 would work. I use a 4. I would check around.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Thanks guys
The 2 or 3 are way back in the technology line and would probably give disappointing results.
The 4 has a faster processor and handles the DJI Go 4 app properly.

I realize there's a size difference but Bestbuy has been clearing out there full size iPads lately and it fits great on the MAVmount my buddy uses just offering as an FYI on pricing.
I use the WiFi only iPad mini 4 which I got on sale over the summer and I have no GPS issues whatsoever but my friend just got the full size one for for $279 and really it isn't bad at all.

Reactions: WAXMAN
I have the mp2 and I am using an iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi / cellular version. It's not activated of course I use no SIM card whatsoever although I do keep it connected to the hotspot on my cell phone when I'm flying just for precautions and no fly zones. But it works great and I have no issues with the GPS or anything else.

My iPad 4 mini came with a SIM card in it that stops the “no sim”message but it’s a dummy sim and doesn’t provide any cellular access. Purely seems to stop that message and everything else functions great.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje