DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Specs?

NSFlyer

Reactions
I've been watching loads of video and the perks of having a larger view size seem ideal.

For the people using an iPad - what specs should one look for? Looking at the DJI site, it pretty much says Pro, air2 and mini4. I would think a NEW mini5 would work, but there is no mention of a standard iPad. And I have read through the forums on this site - people are using a standard iPad to work their drone.

What specs should one seek per a standard iPad? Also, with cellular or no cellular? I'm in an area that there is little to no cell reception. And some areas are so remote, there are no homes or really anything for miles and miles. Just the wildlife. Meaning, 100% dead zones for cell or data.

Any suggestions from the iPad users. I think some input would serve well for myself and others.

I've been watching loads of video and the perks of having a larger view size seem ideal.

For the people using an iPad - what specs should one look for? Looking at the DJI site, it pretty much says Pro, air2 and mini4. I would think a NEW mini5 would work, but there is no mention of a standard iPad. And I have read through the forums on this site - people are using a standard iPad to work their drone.

What specs should one seek per a standard iPad? Also, with cellular or no cellular? I'm in an area that there is little to no cell reception. And some areas are so remote, there are no homes or really anything for miles and miles. Just the wildlife. Meaning, 100% dead zones for cell or data.

Any suggestions from the iPad users. I think some input would serve well for myself and others.
I have recently moved from a P3S to a Mavic Pro and I would like to upgrade to a tablet and I understand the ipad is the best option but it also appears to be the most expensive.

I looked at perhaps a Mini 2 but this has no GPS, if the Ipad was linked to my phone as a hot spot would this work?

I assume not as good as having it's own GPS.

From what I understand the tablets GPS is only used if you have return to home set to your current position and also follow me mode.

Any thoughts on the subject from the collective.

Any input is much appreciated.

i use a 9.7 inch 6th gen 32 gig WIFI only for both my drones works perfectly with both the GO4 and FLY APPS

Reactions: Photodonn

I began flying with an iPad Air 2 (A8X Chip) many years ago using a Phantom 4. As the DJI Go4 App matured however, I noticed the tablet did not perform as it did, and it was dedicated to flying with very little else on it. I then upgraded in 2017 to the 10.5" iPad Pro (A10X Chip). That was a beast that never had any issues with DJI Go4 or the Fly App. It would also view and edit 4K video like butter. It is big though, and after seeing my nephew's iPad Mini 4 (A8 Chip), I ended up recently purchasing a Mini 5 (A12 Chip). The Mini 5 is a serious beast, and the size is more practical for me while also being much larger than a phone.

I would advise a device that has at least the A10 Chip, and higher is even better. As DJI puts out updates to its Apps, they seem to demand more and more processing power, so by purchasing the latest device, you avoid issues in the near future, and more importantly, you avoid the need to then upgrade sooner, thereby saving money. That's how this hobby is.

Reactions: MA2 317
Also, with cellular or no cellular? I'm in an area that there is little to no cell reception. And some areas are so remote, there are no homes or really anything for miles and miles. Just the wildlife. Meaning, 100% dead zones for cell or data.
I have only purchased WiFi only tablets. I hotspot the tablet to my phone if I need the map, but most of the many locations I fly, I am so familiar with the lay of the land, that I do not need the map, and periodically, I just boot things up at home to check for updates and all that. This forum is also a good venue to immediately find out if there is a firmware update, because the minute there is, someone posts about it.

Regarding your possibly flying in remote areas, you can cache the maps in your DJI flight app (not sure what system you have). Just connect the tablet to the internet and open the app and then open the map. Scroll in and out until all zoom levels of the map where you wish to fly are cached, and importantly, do not exit your flight app. It can run in the background, but do not shut it down. This will dump the cache. When you are on site, and connected to your copter, and the copter has GPS lock, it will show up on your cached map.

I use a very plain 32 GB 9.5 inch iPad with both cell and wi fi on a Skyreat holder. See photos. I really enjoy the big image while flying. When I accidentally forget to take it I hate using my Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max. iPad in Skyreat Holder.jpgiPad in Skyreat Holder.jpgiPad on Skyreat Stand.jpgiPad-SkyreatHolder-sideView.jpgSkyreat-holder-side viewe.jpgSkyreatHolder-1-.jpg

I have recently moved from a P3S to a Mavic Pro and I would like to upgrade to a tablet and I understand the ipad is the best option but it also appears to be the most expensive.

I looked at perhaps a Mini 2 but this has no GPS, if the Ipad was linked to my phone as a hot spot would this work?

I assume not as good as having it's own GPS.

From what I understand the tablets GPS is only used if you have return to home set to your current position and also follow me mode.

Any thoughts on the subject from the collective.

Any input is much appreciated.

The Mini 2 is Kaput :p, do not waste your money. Just so you know the Wifi only iPads are Non-GPS. You must get a 4G version (But doesn't need activated/connected) to get the GPS module. A mini 4 or equivalent is as low as one would want to purchase. The Mini 5 as mentioned is king of the hill at present and would serve you well easily for 3-4 years.

The resale alone on a ipad with GPS is reason enough to obtain one IMHO. GPS is sought from full size pilots who most normally use Apple products and commecial/civilian drivers alike. If one wanted to cut corners I would do so on memory/storage, but that again would hurt resale. I flew a Mini 2 4g LTE four years ago with DJI till I had to update due to Go 4 App. It only had 16 gig and that was more than enough for a dedicated unit. I sold it for less than $35 for what I paid 2 years earlier. YMMV.

I now fly a 9.7" Ipad Pro, I liked the screen size and horsepower over the then available Mini 4. And it still fits in a stock Phantom 3 or 4 tablet holder. Thumbswayup

Last edited:

It depends upon which Mavic (and therefore app) you are using. The DJI Fly app (Mini and MA2) is 64 bit and needs more horsepower in a tablet than the DJI GO app (32 bit). Cell service is not necessary, if you need maps (and have cell service) you can hotspot it to your phone or cache them in advance.

You really need to get a mini five if you’re considering a mini. It’s way more powerful than the 4.The mini four cannot hack Applications you might use and he will get video lag once in a while.
I flew with a 4 for Quite a while but had to upgrade because it could not hack the latest versions of apps

Hi does ir bither you that you cant see he controller?
once you get accustomed to the RC and flying the drone being able to see the controller is not an issue

once you get accustomed to the RC and flying the drone being able to see the controller is not an issue
Unless you’re running an app other than go4 like Pix4Dcapture in which case you really really need to see the controller as It is your only source of telemetry.

Reactions: old man mavic
Unless you’re running an app other than go4 like Pix4Dcapture in which case you really really need to see the controller as It is your only source of telemetry.
that applies only to a RC with a built in screen, not all RCs have a screen,and there was no mention of using specific none DJI apps

I used a IPad Mini 4 32gb Wi-FI tethered/Hotspot to my Note 9 for real-time updates, no problems.

Reactions: NSFlyer
Thank you so much for everyone. I've been hunting for the iPad. Would an "Apple iPad 10.2" 32GB with Wi-Fi (8th Generation)" do the job? I assume it would?
I use a very plain 32 GB 9.5 inch iPad with both cell and wi fi on a Skyreat holder. See photos. I really enjoy the big image while flying. When I accidentally forget to take it I hate using my Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max. View attachment 115760View attachment 115760View attachment 115761View attachment 115762View attachment 115763View attachment 115764
Oh very nice.

I just spotted a

Apple iPad 10.2" 32GB with Wi-Fi (8th Generation)​

I think this will do the trick?

Ok, so the drone is the Mavic Mini (fly combo) that is the unit I now have. So, I would like to not use a cell phone,I feel the view space is small + I don't even own a cell phone (bad coverage here, hit and miss) - now looking at:

Apple iPad 10.2" 32GB with Wi-Fi (8th Generation) - Powered by an advanced A12 Bionic chip with 64-bit​

I assume this would work, I'm planning on using the DJI App, I'm not familiar with any other Apps, heck the drone is still the box.

Hi! Did you have the chance to buy the 8th gen tab and use it with the dron? Did it work? We are considering our tablet options here and the mini are way too expensive

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78