DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad without cellular capability

lprim

Reactions
Just got the mavic 2 pro and found that my iPhone is too small for me to see all the information. If I get an iPad with only WiFi and link it with my iPhone’s hotspot, will I loose any capabilities. Or should I get an iPad with cellular capability?

Just got the mavic 2 pro and found that my iPhone is too small for me to see all the information. If I get an iPad with only WiFi and link it with my iPhone’s hotspot, will I loose any capabilities. Or should I get an iPad with cellular capabiliti?
It used to be the iPads without cellular capability also didn’t have the GPS chipset. You should check to see whether that is still true. I don’t know whether tethering will provide accurate GPS data or not.

You will lack a GPS module in the device.
So some features such as 'Follow me' wont work..

Just got the mavic 2 pro and found that my iPhone is too small for me to see all the information. If I get an iPad with only WiFi and link it with my iPhone’s hotspot, will I loose any capabilities. Or should I get an iPad with cellular capability?
Having no GPS in the tablet is no big deal and makes almost no difference.
The only GPS the Mavic needs is the one inside the Mavic.
There are only two things that use a GPS unit in the tablet:
1. Follow me flight - no big deal since Active Track is better and doesn't need a separate GPS anyway.
2. Resetting home to the current location of the controller - used if flying from a moving car, boat etc
Again, no big deal since you don't want to drone to land on your car or boat and as soon as you reset the home point, it's out of date anyway.
The main reason to reset, is to prevent the drone from going back to the launch point when it believes it only has enough battery to go all the way back.
Resetting the home point to the current location of the drone is just as good.

Having no GPS in the tablet is no big deal and makes almost no difference.
The only GPS the Mavic needs is the one inside the Mavic.
There are only two things that use a GPS unit in the tablet:
1. Follow me flight - no big deal since Active Track is better and doesn't need a separate GPS anyway.
2. Resetting home to the current location of the controller - used if flying from a moving car, boat etc
Again, no big deal since you don't want to drone to land on your car or boat and as soon as you reset the home point, it's out of date anyway.
The main reason to reset, is to prevent the drone from going back to the launch point when it believes it only has enough battery to go all the way back.
Resetting the home point to the current location of the drone is just as good.
Thanks - great explanation.

Reactions: Krvelasco
It used to be the iPads without cellular capability also didn’t have the GPS chipset. You should check to see whether that is still true. I don’t know whether tethering will provide accurate GPS data or not.
Thanks

Just to add to what @Meta4 has already said there may not be follow me in DJI Go4 but that functionality is in other 3rd party apps like Auto-Pilot. That app also has functionality for a moving operator (the home point can be set to the iPads location so the drone will just come to wherever the iPad is) so you won’t be able to use that but it’s not that big of a deal.

You could always get an external GPS unit for the iPad if that ever becomes a feature you decide you want. Not as good as a built in one but will work non the less.

I think you are good to go with just the wi-fi version too

I have an Ipad 9.7 without cellular service and started out trying to use it with my mp zoom. Except for those functions mentioned already, most things will work ok but I discovered 1 big major deal for me . I like to use the radar screen that appears in the lower left of the screen and without GPS, it doesn't work.

I have an Ipad 9.7 without cellular service and started out trying to use it with my mp zoom. Except for those functions mentioned already, most things will work ok but I discovered 1 big major deal for me . I like to use the radar screen that appears in the lower left of the screen and without GPS, it doesn't work.
Are you sure of that?
The radar display needs to know the recorded home point and location of the Mavic.
It gets both of those from The drone's own GPS receiver.
It also requires compass data from the tablet to know which way you are facing.
Whether the tablet has GPS or not, it should be able to get the data it needs.
What are you seeing with yours?

Operator to drone distance wouldn't work either I guess. That could be important if using distance limits and moving while flying

Operator to drone distance wouldn't work either I guess. That could be important if using distance limits and moving while flying
If you havent moved from the Take off point, then that distance is known.
Most people would remain at the Take off position, where the GPS in the AC recorded the RTH position.

If you havent moved from the Take off point, then that distance is known.
Most people would remain at the Take off position, where the GPS in the AC recorded the RTH position.

Of course, but I often move. Sometimes moving is required to stay within the legal distance limits for example when doing a time-lapse over a distance. Just wanted to add that that feature wouldn't work for those with similar requirements

Of course, but I often move. Sometimes moving is required to stay within the legal distance limits for example when doing a time-lapse over a distance. Just wanted to add that that feature wouldn't work for those with similar requirements
How far are you moving?
Usually that option is only needed for people flying from a moving car or boat and the main reason to use it is to prevent the drone going all the way back to the starting point when the battery runs low.

I feel like we're a bit off topic now, but 1-2 km could be necessary for some of the time lapses I want to do. Max legal distance here is 500 m from the operator which gives you a 1 km total span. I'm considering buying a GPS receiver for my iPad for these instances, or just use my phone when needed.

I feel like we're a bit off topic now, but 1-2 km could be necessary for some of the time lapses I want to do. Max legal distance here is 500 m from the operator which gives you a 1 km total span. I'm considering buying a GPS receiver for my iPad for these instances, or just use my phone when needed.
You're moving 1-2 km during a flight?
If you have the problem of not being able to reset the home point and getting the spurious weak GPS message, a separate GPS won't help either.

I'm not concerned about resetting the home point. I'm concerned about seeing how far away from the the drone is. Without GPS in the iPad this will not be possible if the operator moves from the take off point. Using an iOS certified bluetooth GPS Will solve this problem.

Again, I just wanted to point out that the reported distance from operator to drone wouldn't work either without GPS if the operator is moving, in case that was important to anyone else. I never see that mentioned when people ask what won't work without GPS in an iPad.

If you buy a ipad with wifi and cellular do you need to have a paid mobile phone plan connected to the sim in the ipad for it to work with the mavic ?

If you buy a ipad with wifi and cellular do you need to have a paid mobile phone plan connected to the sim in the ipad for it to work with the mavic ?
You need to buy the cellular version to get the GPS capability built into the hardware, but that connects to GPS satellites, not cellular towers. So, as Brett8883 said, no.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imMike507