DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need cell phone to connect and fly?

LarryL

Reactions
I was ready to purchase a Mini Pro 4 and was looking at some quick "set up" videos when I keep seeing that you need wifi to connect or fly this thing. I know I'm probably the one in a million out there, but I don't have a cell phone. I have an iPad with cellular connection, and wifi at home, but do you still need this out in the field each time you fly? Larry

You'll need internet connectivity to activate and update your aircraft for sure but that's not every flight. If you intend to fly in certain DJI Restriction Zones you'll need internet connectivity to get the UnLock.

Good news is that your Cellular iPad should handle all of those tasks as well as a phone. IIRC there are some FAA Authorizations that require a phone # (just in case the airport needs to contact you) but if you aren't requesting authorizations I don't think you'll need an actual cellular phone.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Not an issue unless you live in an area with no cell coverage. Then you would need to get to coverage to get things setup and firmware updated. Occasionally you might find a need to log in again (rare but it happens). Other than that it's no problem on flying day to day. Some drones like the FPV and those that use the Googles V2 require them to be connected to a phone to provide initial GPS but the MP4 doesn't have that limitation. Bottom line is no issue on a day to day basis but a connection to the net is required at times with all DJI products.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13