DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need a phone with plenty of data?

stubaz

Reactions
G;day Guys & Girls,

I'm completely new to flying DJI quadcopters, but I've been flying cheaper quads and those I've built myself, (mostly 450's or 550's). I was going to use a tablet, but found it rather cumbersome and got myself a mobile phone.

My question is, do I need to have plenty of data to fly? and if I use the phone to update the Mavics will the WiFi I have at home save me from using data on the phone?

The reason for asking is I'm about to get a plan for the phone and the cost seems to relate to how much data you want. I simply don't know if I need a lot of data or a very small amount. I will be using the phone to receive and make phone calls but should I need to download an app can I use my home WiFi and not use any data on the phone.

Excuse my ignorance, I've only ever had a mobile when in hospital to talk to my wife over 400Km away. Hopefully the hospital reason is now obsolete (fingers crossed) and I have no idea if the phone has to access the Internet before, after or whilst flying. One other small question: How do I disable the phone whilst flying, I'd hate to get a call with the quad at 200 feet and it loses contact.

Many thanks in advance ... Stu

My question is, do I need to have plenty of data to fly? and if I use the phone to update the Mavics will the WiFi I have at home save me from using data on the phone?
Sometimes a little can be handy, but you don't need any data to fly.
How do I disable the phone whilst flying, I'd hate to get a call with the quad at 200 feet and it loses contact.
It's not necessary, but you can put the phone into airplane mode if you want to.
Having a phone call come in, won't make the drone lose contact.

Reactions: Reid937 and Cafguy
The drone needs no phone data connection while flying, other than for maps and satellite imagery for the map view on the controller display. But you can download the maps and satellite imagery for the area you're planning to fly while you're connected to a wifi system.

I fly some of the time with a 10" Android tablet mounted to the RC-N1 controller and some of the time with the DJI controllers with the built-in screens. None of them has a data connection.

Reactions: Fizzbang
Thank you guys, Things are better than I thought they'd be. After searching all night for Aussie phone companies I finally settled on one at 6am this morning. It's only going to cost $16 per month with 3Gb of data. Unlimited phone calls and messaging.

It makes a change to find out I'm not having to pay any more. What with the DJI Quad, plus phone, plus plan it's not exactly a cheap hobby. With prices going through the roof for just about everything, finding out I'm keeping costs down makes my wife very happy, this obviously makes me even happier. :)

After more than 2 years my Mavic Pro Platinum will finally get it's maiden flight. Then I'll take the Mavic Pro and Mavic Air and do the same. Unfortunately I've lost the Mavic Mini, how on Earth does one lose a complete quadcopter? My wife and I have searched for weeks, but no luck. I'm just hoping that when I do find it the batteries don't suffer the same fate as the MPP's batteries. I sent them to what turned out to be a butcher to bring them back to life, but they were returned working. but with cases beyond repair. I found replacement cases in China and they should be here next week.

Thanks again for your help and Happy Flying. Stu

Reactions: MS Coast

stubaz

Member​

JoinedJun 21, 2023Messages14Reactions29Age74LocationNSW Australia
Thank you guys, Things are better than I thought they'd be. After searching all night for Aussie phone companies I finally settled on one at 6am this morning. It's only going to cost $16 per month with 3Gb of data. Unlimited phone calls and messaging.

It makes a change to find out I'm not having to pay any more. What with the DJI Quad, plus phone, plus plan it's not exactly a cheap hobby. With prices going through the roof for just about everything, finding out I'm keeping costs down makes my wife very happy, this obviously makes me even happier. :)

After more than 2 years my Mavic Pro Platinum will finally get it's maiden flight. Then I'll take the Mavic Pro and Mavic Air and do the same. Unfortunately I've lost the Mavic Mini, how on Earth does one lose a complete quadcopter? My wife and I have searched for weeks, but no luck. I'm just hoping that when I do find it the batteries don't suffer the same fate as the MPP's batteries. I sent them to what turned out to be a butcher to bring them back to life, but they were returned working. but with cases beyond repair. I found replacement cases in China and they should be here next week.

Thanks again for your help and Happy Flying. Stu

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne