DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone Bottleneck in Workflow

JustLook

Reactions
I literally got my iPhone 14 the same day as my Mavic 3 ( very new to the class greetings, my name is Michael ) and I am setting up my workflow and loving the QuickTransfer ( …switching… 😝 ) it’s all fine but how is everyone else getting these off their iPhone? I’d really rather have some other method. The photos app takes forever to upload these to the cloud. Perhaps I have something wrong with it relating to my restore from my old phone.

Every time I try to AirDrop the files to my MacBook I get this “preparing” message that takes from 10 seconds for a small file and 10 minutes for a large one and it can lose its place with a bunch of 3 minute files. These iPhones are fantastic tech but they can get sluggish with a restore from an old iPhone. I am worried there are issues with the phone having been restored from a backup on another device etc. just curious as I have been browsing the forums trying to find out how everyone else handles this. It’s an incredible machine. In fact I don’t know what to call something so small and powerful. This 55 yo once coveted the Estes Camera Rocket that was designed to take an aerial photograph just a moment after the rocket hit apogee. 😮

I’m a creature of habit and I like to practice my workflow and repeat it mindlessly once it’s set up right for speed, consistency, reliability and work backups schedules in pace etc. I have to say if this is what I can expect after getting all this stuff on my iPhone I am getting a droid to use just for this. I am not fond of having access to my phone while flying (don’t go there I know, I know, I should not text and fly — I mean for other stuff like another camera or to hand to my assistant.

But the reason I want to take my iPhone out of the workflow is that it’s a kludge. But perhaps it’s just me — I mean if I could download these to my iPhone? Such that they would be almost done syncing by the time I was back in the edit bay? And would finish synching once I got to fast Wi-Fi etc? No issues.

Any ideas?! Thanks to all who make this forum happen. What a great world we live in.

Michael

Attachments

• CA1E2FEA-841E-4E02-A36E-1A8A19372882.jpeg
    CA1E2FEA-841E-4E02-A36E-1A8A19372882.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 05277F0C-DB71-42DE-84E8-CFCDFC32CEBD.jpeg
    05277F0C-DB71-42DE-84E8-CFCDFC32CEBD.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: GFields
You need to get the iPhone out of the equation and transfer directly from the Mavic 3 Cine to the MacBook. Nothing else is going to work if you are looking to take advantage of ProRes video.

For h264/h265 video and photos you can use a removable micro SD card and attach it to your MacBook after flying.

Either of these methods will solve the workflow problem and give you better access to the high resolution functions of the Mavic 3.

Understood and thank you. But is this also true if I just have the Mavic 3 (non Cine)? (That’s a different beast with internal storage and no SD card).

I am also looking at LaCie CoPilot? Anyone? How does that work do you connect it to the console or the drone? I mean coolio if you can just connect it directly to the Mavic 3 and not visit the iPhone / Controller.

Michael

Understood and thank you. But is this also true if I just have the Mavic 3 (non Cine)? (That’s a different beast with internal storage and no SD card).

I am also looking at LaCie CoPilot? Anyone? How does that work do you connect it to the console or the drone? I mean coolio if you can just connect it directly to the Mavic 3 and not visit the iPhone / Controller.

Michael
You asked in the Mavic 3 Cine help forum.... hence the answer I gave. You will still want to eject the SD Card and put it in your MacBook for the fastest transfers and full access to the the highest resolution.

Reactions: JustLook
I literally got my iPhone 14 the same day as my Mavic 3 ( very new to the class greetings, my name is Michael ) and I am setting up my workflow and loving the QuickTransfer ( …switching… 😝 ) it’s all fine but how is everyone else getting these off their iPhone? I’d really rather have some other method. The photos app takes forever to upload these to the cloud. Perhaps I have something wrong with it relating to my restore from my old phone.

Every time I try to AirDrop the files to my MacBook I get this “preparing” message that takes from 10 seconds for a small file and 10 minutes for a large one and it can lose its place with a bunch of 3 minute files. These iPhones are fantastic tech but they can get sluggish with a restore from an old iPhone. I am worried there are issues with the phone having been restored from a backup on another device etc. just curious as I have been browsing the forums trying to find out how everyone else handles this. It’s an incredible machine. In fact I don’t know what to call something so small and powerful. This 55 yo once coveted the Estes Camera Rocket that was designed to take an aerial photograph just a moment after the rocket hit apogee. 😮

I’m a creature of habit and I like to practice my workflow and repeat it mindlessly once it’s set up right for speed, consistency, reliability and work backups schedules in pace etc. I have to say if this is what I can expect after getting all this stuff on my iPhone I am getting a droid to use just for this. I am not fond of having access to my phone while flying (don’t go there I know, I know, I should not text and fly — I mean for other stuff like another camera or to hand to my assistant.

But the reason I want to take my iPhone out of the workflow is that it’s a kludge. But perhaps it’s just me — I mean if I could download these to my iPhone? Such that they would be almost done syncing by the time I was back in the edit bay? And would finish synching once I got to fast Wi-Fi etc? No issues.

Any ideas?! Thanks to all who make this forum happen. What a great world we live in.

Michael

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum!
Drop by the pilot’s check-in to introduce yourself

Regardless of the drone, I have always saved images/videos to a microSD card and then using a card reader, transfer them directly to the PC.

You asked in the Mavic 3 Cine help forum.... hence the answer I gave. You will still want to eject the SD Card and put it in your MacBook for the fastest transfers and full access to the the highest resolution.
Point taken on the forum thanks duly noted. Just new to the class thank you kindly.

I can cope with swapping the SD cards. But I don’t like it! 😝 it’s not easy to get to and impossible to automate by I will cope. Thanks very much.

Michael

Point taken on the forum thanks duly noted. Just new to the class thank you kindly.

I can cope with swapping the SD cards. But I don’t like it! 😝 it’s not easy to get to and impossible to automate by I will cope. Thanks very much.

Michael
You can also connect the drone directly to the PC/Mac via a USB cable. But for me, removing the microSD card is easier. Good luck

Moved thread to correct location

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor