DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone flight time 8 minutes

rickmorton

Reactions
It's hot as hell in Nevada. I can only fly 8 minutes without the screen going completely dark on the iPhone. I'm waiting for a new Smart Controller which hopefully will solve the issue. Don't want to buy one now only to have them release a new one in three months. I can only fly very early in the morning - under 90˚- or very late, almost dark which can still be a problem when it's 103 degrees at 7PM. Two weeks ago I tried to shoot my grandsons cliff jumping at the Colorado River and by the time we go up to the top, the screen was gone. What a pain.

Have you tried using a sun shade for your phone to keep the direct sunlight off of it during flights?

Reactions: Capt KO
Fly from inside your vehicle with ac on. My iPad mini will also shut down if the screen gets hot. Sun shade usually solves it though. After reading here about successful in vehicle flights, I’ve been doing it more often and works well. Even with closed windows and ac.

Reactions: hiflyer201
It's a real bummer with Iphones. Try to keep your phone (and yourself) out of direct sun.

To add to the last...I'm convinced that it's sensors that cause the phone (or Ipad) to think it's going to over heat when it's in direct sun. I've had it happen in aircraft many times when the cockpit was cool but the Ipad was laying on a seat and being in the direct line of the sun.

Thanks for sharing! I just starting using the Triplek tablet

Same issue recurring for me!

Happened today again, 85F, sunny and humid here in So Fla.
With Air2S in flight, about 3 minutes out.
Sunny day but flying from a slightly sheltered area, not direct sunlight.
Still, iPhone 12 Pro screen darkened.
I went to change iPhone Settings so screen will Never darken.
In the process, by accident, the screen brightness slider got knocked totally down!
So, I was now flying 'blind'!
Could not see or access anything on the screen.
Fortunately, the RC 'RTH' button worked and saved my b**t!

Can't wait for the new smart controller, too!!

Just adding my continued frustration. I've been avoiding flight completely because it's been so hot but yesterday I needed a shot for a presentation. I went out at 7AM when the sun was still low in the sky. I got about 5 minutes of flight time before the iPhone 12 Pro went so dark I couldn't see. So frustrating. I can't wait for a new Smart Controller to come out. This is ridiculous. I don't remember the iPhone 7 or 10 being this bad.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada