DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone / iPad Mini Users - Feedback

Spanishcop

Reactions
So I almost purchased a used iPad-mini 2 WIFI only 16gb for $169 US and then decided I'd check on here before I went for it.

So I'm currently using an iPhone 7+ and I've been an IOS user. I put my 7+ on top of the iPad mini and screen is almost double in size which really caught my attention.

My question is.... Is it a big difference to use the iPad mini vs using the iPhone 6+ or iPhone 7+ when flying the Mavic or for Litchi setup and use?

When using WIFI only ipad mini... Other than losing the follow me mode and the set new home point... am I giving anything else by not having cellular connection like I do on my iPhone?

The GPS is obtained from the RC radio correct? I appreciate the feedback as I need some answers ASAP. Not sure how long they will keep this iPad available and I leave on vacation with Mavic in couple days overseas so I'm a bit pressed for time.

A big thanks for any input
Mike

I just picked up a used cellular (unlocked) 16gb mini 3 yesterday for $160 and it seems to be working well, I did try follow me and it was giving me "weak signal" errors though.. I didn't have time to look into that.

BTW you're not losing those features because of the lack of cellular connection, you're losing them because the wifi only ipads do not have GPS and neither does the RC.

I just picked up a used cellular (unlocked) 16gb mini 3 yesterday for $160 and it seems to be working well, I did try follow me and it was giving me "weak signal" errors though.. I didn't have time to look into that.

BTW you're not losing those features because of the lack of cellular connection, you're losing them because the wifi only ipads do not have GPS and neither does the RC.

I thought the RC had GPS or maybe it was the Mavic... One of them had GPS to help maintain precision which I assume I really don't need GPS on the iPad most likely then right?

I was thinking cellular helped triangulation position of ipad based on cell towers. Maybe I'm completely wrong in this regard. Not my strong point.

So is it increasing a risk by flying without GPS on mini ipad vs iphone 7+?

Holy cow... PM a link to that deal!!!! I'll buy one now!!!!

You can use your phone as a hotspot/ tether if worried about connectivity.
I use a wifi/ cellular iPad actual screen size is 8"x6" really nice size and gives you so much more when taking videos etc. I can see exactly what I want to record.
I was using Iphone6 before but it is totally worth a bigger screen. Go as big as you can without losing portability.
By the way you can fly the Mavic without a phone at all using just the RC, just can't access all the extra functions.

Reactions: Spanishcop
Holy cow... PM a link to that deal!!!! I'll buy one now!!!!

Local deal that I found via the OfferUp app.. it's a hit and miss, make sure that if you're buying used the device is unlocked and removed from iCloud.

I thought the RC had GPS or maybe it was the Mavic... One of them had GPS to help maintain precision which I assume I really don't need GPS on the iPad most likely then right?

I was thinking cellular helped triangulation position of ipad based on cell towers. Maybe I'm completely wrong in this regard. Not my strong point.

So is it increasing a risk by flying without GPS on mini ipad vs iphone 7+?

Mavic has GPS, RC doesn't, it will use the connected device as long as that device has a GPS receiver. Cellular does help locate the device but not to the precision you need for this application (plus it wouldn't work in the middle of the desert..). You don't absolutely need GPS on the iPad but I figured it's worth having if it's going to be my dedicated drone device.

GPS on the screen device is good for when you need to reset the home point and also good for locating yourself on the map. Cellular/data connection is good for loading the maps and keeping them loading while you fly.

Personally I would go for the cellular version as it has GPS, then either activate the cellular service or hot spot it to you phone for live map data.

I am using an iPad Air 2 as I already had it and find the screen size difference from my Galaxy S7 a huge boost. The size doesn't worry me as I use a projector bag to carry everything and use an iPad mount with neck strap so can hold the MP in one hand and use the other to easily slide the auto takeoff function etc.

Will a full size ipad 3 wifi only be able to run DJI GO4 app? I also have that option available and I can purchase a tablet holder for RC. I'm not sure if that iPad is outdated to fly the Mavic.

Found my answer 3rd Gen iPad is a NO!

I have AT&T currently and I'm grandfathered in on the unlimited data. I think hotspot is an extra $20 a month, but that is an option to also consider thanks.

Last edited:
I went ahead and got an iPad mini 4 32gb with cellular.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure