DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone malfunction during flight

13lade12unner

Reactions
Does anyone know what happens to the mavic during flight if your tablet or smartphone runs out of batteries or crashes ? My phone runs out of battery quickly and I always nervous what would happen if it's far enough away that I can't see it to fly it just by seeing it .

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Does anyone know what happens to the mavic during flight if your tablet or smartphone runs out of batteries or crashes ? My phone runs out of battery quickly and I always nervous what would happen if it's far enough away that I can't see it to fly it just by seeing it .

I'm not 110% sure but when my phone died I hit RTH button and poof there was my bird comin in for a landing. So I would say make sure the home point is set and if the phone dies just call it back right away.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The RC controller maintains connection and control. Like Slayer said, hitting RTH if you lost visual contact is the safest thing to do and will work every time even without the phone. You can actually takeoff, record, take pictures, fly around, all without even having the phone connected. It's not required. You really just need it as a screen to the camera link. I've done this for a quick flight video capture and did not want to pull my phone out.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: SkeeterHarris
My Note 4 died on my very first flight as I forgot to put it in airplane mode (battery needs to be replaced) , which panicked me for a moment as the MP was just out of LOS .

But pressing the rth button brought it right back .

Reactions: Slayerstwin
So this happened to me the other day. My phone battery failed and my Mavic was far away.
So I tough of first press the RTH on the controller but what I did is actually maneuver back based only on the distance shown on the controller. Just head forwards where your distance from craft and you decrease faster (it the Mavic is pointing right at you). If you are unsure just click on the RTH and let the bird come by itself. As soon as you can see it you can either take manual control or let it land.

It can be nerve wrecking the first time, but the key is to have a strong RTH location.

Reactions: captainhurls
Good to know. That is my worry too as my iphone's battery loses capacity quite rapidly. Will it work if i quickly attach another phone to the rc?

Good to know. That is my worry too as my iphone's battery loses capacity quite rapidly. Will it work if i quickly attach another phone to the rc?

Yes, it should if it's setup, but why fumble with it? Bump a stick and smack a tree. Just return home, land. Swap devices and continue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin