DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is a 12.9" iPad Pro just ridiculous as a drone screen?

I currently fly my Mavic Air 2 with my iPhone 7 plus, but I'm finding the screen too dim, and it also gives me the "CPU fully loaded" message.

I'd been hoping there may be an iPad Mini on the horizon to replace it as a screen, but thinking about it, I'd rather use a phone (but that won't be until September).

I do actually NEED a new iPad for work (Photography folio, video apps etc), so I have my eye on the M1 iPad Pro 12.9" for many reasons - but especially the screen (For size and brightness). And I'm thinking that at 1000 NITS, it would be VERY handy outdoors for drone usage.

But Is there even a way to mount it? Would I hate my life having such a heavy tablet attached to my controller?
I have an iPad mini 4 that I use with my Mini 2 and I use an iPad Air 3 with my M2Z and P4M. I LOVE the big screen but it’s an awkward placement on the mini 2 controller so it feels unbalanced.

Last edited:
I have an iPad mini 4 that I use with my Mini 2 and I use an iPad Air 3 that I use with my M2Z and P4M. I LOVE the big screen but it’s an awkward placement on the mini 2 controller so it feels unbalanced.
I would just add to your question, if I may - What do you (all) think is the "Best" tablet or ipad for use with a Mavic Air 2 controller. This old but noobish pilot needs something with more screen area or brightness than my iphone 8+

I've been using a I-,pad pro for awhile although I haven't measured it. Yes there are adapters available. I love it. Yes it is a little off balance. I got used to it and you will too! Enjoy!
I have absolutely no problem balancing my 9.5 inch Apple iPad. It fits well in my Skyreat holder, and I have nice big image of what my camera sees. Plenty of screen real estate for all of the app, including space for the histogram.

I currently fly my Mavic Air 2 with my iPhone 7 plus, but I'm finding the screen too dim, and it also gives me the "CPU fully loaded" message.

I'd been hoping there may be an iPad Mini on the horizon to replace it as a screen, but thinking about it, I'd rather use a phone (but that won't be until September).

I do actually NEED a new iPad for work (Photography folio, video apps etc), so I have my eye on the M1 iPad Pro 12.9" for many reasons - but especially the screen (For size and brightness). And I'm thinking that at 1000 NITS, it would be VERY handy outdoors for drone usage.

But Is there even a way to mount it? Would I hate my life having such a heavy tablet attached to my controller?
I have the iPad mini 4 LTE and love it. Fits in the controller with no issues.

I would just add to your question, if I may - What do you (all) think is the "Best" tablet or ipad for use with a Mavic Air 2 controller. This old but noobish pilot needs something with more screen area or brightness than my iphone 8+
As you'll see from this thread alone there's no one best device and it's really what size/weight suits you best. Personally I went for a 10in tablet which for me is on the size/weight limit (a little on the heavy side) for using on the controller but I find the extra screen space over an 8in device or phone extremely useful since there's a lot of items round the edge on the DJI Go interface so the big screen has plenty space for them and a large video feed. However the 8in tablets are popular and some prefer to go bigger as well.

Reactions: reaganbp

Yes but you will need a very good mount for stability. On occasions I use my iPad Pro 12.9 more because of my deteriorating eyesight (76 years old).

I use a Lifthor Baldur mount. If you look on the internet at TDW (Thor Drone World) they supply them. I use mine with my Mavic Air 2 and my mini 2 but they make mounts for most controllers. They are not cheap but you need something secure for the £1000+ iPad. They also have a centre of balance point for a lanyard and I find it comfortable and very light.
Because the mini2 and MA2 are relatively new controllers and interchangeable I just mount the main body part and leave it on. There are only a couple of videos on YouTube but have a look and you will see how it all works.
I use my controller and bracket with an iPad mini 5 with sunshade, 2017 iPad Pro 9.7 with sunshade and my 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 but so far not been successful with sunshade because the screen goes right to the very edge but will keep looking.
The company are Norwegian and very good to deal with, I live in the north west in the UK and it arrived the next day.
The mount does not touch the areal fitting on the controller which other mounts seem to, very important with the heavier 12,9 ipad

Good luck with your choice.

Reactions: RobW01 and Howard70
I guise both the iPhone and a regular 10"iPad. I have the DJI iPad holder and my iPad Pro 11 inch does not fit. It is too big by a fraction of an inch. Can you find a holder for the biggest iPad Pro?

Thor’s Drone world has some. I use the Mjolnir for my M2P when using the iPad 12.9. I used to fly with my iPad mini 5 but decided to use iPad Pro 12.9. I’m looking at getting an iPad Air 4 or iPad Pro 11.

Thor’s Drone world has some. I use the Mjolnir for my M2P when using the iPad 12.9. I used to fly with my iPad mini 5 but decided to use iPad Pro 12.9. I’m looking at getting an iPad Air 4 or iPad Pro 11.

I settled on the iPad mini. It hits the sweet spot between too little and too large.

I use my I pad pro all the time. It is a older model though. I got my holder from pgy tech. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Thanohano44
I just gave my daughter my iPad Mini 5. It’s great for flying. Picked up and iPad Pro 11 2020 from a client who was short on money. I’m stoked.
I bought the tablet holder from the DJI Store. It works with my iPad mini 5 and the 10.5 inch iPad.
However, my 11 inch iPad Pro will NOT fit in the DJI holder. The 11 inch iPad Pro is just a fraction of an inch too big.

MavMount all the way :)

Fully understand. The new iPad Pro 12.9 M-1 has my eye as well. Planning on ordering one next Friday. The 1600 nit brightness will be awesome. As for the weight, it only weighs 1.5 lbs. At age 69, I need a big and bright screen. No problem on mounting. Polar Pro has a real nice one. Have been using the iPad 11 inch with no problem other than the 600 nit brightness. Looking forward to using the 12.9 New iPad Pro.

Hey, just curious if you ever did this? How did you go with the 12.9 and the extra weight, and the balance of it?

Hi Ben….yes and it works great. Purchased a LifThor Balder DJI Tablet Holder which gives the controller/iPad great balance and strength. No wiggle. Nice setup.
Does it maintain 1600 nits?

I'm flying a MA2 using either a Google Pixel 4a phone, or an iPad 9.5" attached with a Thors Drone World Baldur mount, which I really like. It can be supported by the included lanyard or mounted on a tripod since it has a 1/4"-20 threaded mount on the bottom. I fabricated a sun screen out of black foam core and Gorilla tape. Works fine and I do like the larger screen.

Reactions: Ramboat
Not sure if it maintains 1600 nits but I have not had any problems with the display brightness. I try not to stand in the sun….move to a shade when possible.
The problem with standing in the shade is that it’s harder to maintain VLOS, depending what is providing the shade and the direction of flight. I use my 12.9 inch Pro under certain conditions, but a better option is the Smart Controller using HDMI out to a field monitor. I have a Feelworld which is 2200 nits.

Reactions: Ramboat
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato