DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is an OTG cable a must? Read on, the real question is a bit more complicated.

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

This stems from using the BIG USB port in the centre of a Mavic 2 controller (RC1A or RC1B).
My crudely stated understanding is, a BIG USB plug has 4 pins/connections whereas a Micro USB OTG cable has 5 pins in the micro USB plug that plugs into the controller. ( I haven't looked into USB-C connections)
The OTG aspect, of the micro USB ended cable, comes from the extra/5th pin being connected, within the plug or cable, to one of the other 4, (a specific pin but which pin does not matter for the purposes of this thread).
Presumably an OTG capable socket has the connections to the innards of its device to detect the presence of this connection to pin 5 etc. and where an OTG capable socket is the only option, as in the Mavic Mini, I can see that an OTG cable might be a MUST. ........
But with the Mavic 2, the phone and app work perfectly well when driven off the BIG USB socket and as far as I know my 'normal' USB cables are not OTG.
This makes me wonder if OTG is a must or just a consequence of the rules governing the types of connection etc.?

If OTG is a must, how is it implemented when driving the phone from that BIG USB socket of the Mavic 2 controller?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato