DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is better to have your phone in aeroplane mode or not?

I am just theorizing right now so don't execute me. But could you set the DJI app as a priority and it would not close if open. Therefore phone calls, text msg and other distractions would not pop up? I know it is probably easier to switch to airplane mode, I am just seeing if there are alternatives. I am not that popular that my phone is always going off while I am flying. Ha.I am flying with andriod with a LGV40

The drone is flown by the controller. Not by DJI Go app. Being in or out of airplane mode has no effect on the drone.

The only downside I can see to being in airplane mode is that everything is turned off. This means that you'll have no connection to the net and will have to cache maps if you want to see them while flying.

CACHE MAPS ...
One of the items on my flight checklist if I can’t use wifi or cellular for some reason.
(of course before leaving home)

Reactions: ff22
The drone is flown by the controller. Not by DJI Go app. Being in or out of airplane mode has no effect on the drone.

But the app (DJI GO) is running on your phone or tablet and any resources you can free up will help performance and maybe stop the app from crashing. Just put it in airplane mode and WI FI is automatically turned off as is apps that access the internet. I don't know if it shuts Blue Tooth off because I hardly use it and it is usually off on my phone.
BTW, I have a GS 9 + with all the "crap apps" either uninstalled or disabled and am very happy with the screen brightness.

I’d say “yes”!
I recently tried putting my iPad in airplane mode and it seemed to have fixed the range issue I was having with the Mavic 2 and goggles. Now I’ll always fly in Airplane Mode

I’d say “yes”!
I recently tried putting my iPad in airplane mode and it seemed to have fixed the range issue I was having with the Mavic 2 and goggles. Now I’ll always fly in Airplane Mode
I agree with you. Range is better. wifi and bluetooth also work on 2.4 ghz. mobile device being so close to the controller with wifi on can't be good.

I'm sorry if I'm being dumb or something. But like most of you I use a dedicated phone for flying. So since I don't have a simcard in it, and I'm out of range of wifi, I don't need to worry about airplane mode or anything!

Reactions: macoman
I'm sorry if I'm being dumb or something. But like most of you I use a dedicated phone for flying. So since I don't have a simcard in it, and I'm out of range of wifi, I don't need to worry about airplane mode or anything!
I your case there should be no problems. I also have dedicated phone, but still have data simcard in it for the maps. I load all the needed maps , then put it in airplane mode.

Reactions: macoman
I’d say “yes”!
Always turn your controller and then the bird on first. wait for connection before turning on your goggles.
Dji Goggles has range limit if connected first. Although only flight range is affected and not transmission range.

Reactions: mereflyer
Does anybody know how to turn off "charging the device" from the RC. I use android. It would give more time on the batt. for the RC. Thx

This is one of the many reasons i moved over to apple ( dedicated device for dji go4). But when I used to use android, I plugged one off those power bricks on the side of the controller while using the bottom usb for the android device. keeping the phone and controller batteries full at the same time. Had too many crashes on android ( Samsung S8).
no problems so far using Iphone 6s plus.

Reactions: Concern
Receiving Phone calls would be a bummer. Imagine losing your drone because the mother in law phoned.
If you could possibly lose your bird because you were interrupted by a phone call the problem is more you than the call.

But the app (DJI GO) is running on your phone or tablet and any resources you can free up will help performance and maybe stop the app from crashing. Just put it in airplane mode and WI FI is automatically turned off as is apps that access the internet. I don't know if it shuts Blue Tooth off because I hardly use it and it is usually off on my phone.
BTW, I have a GS 9 + with all the "crap apps" either uninstalled or disabled and am very happy with the screen brightness.

Yes but again all of that has no effect on the flight and signal of the drone. The app does not control the drone. The RC does. I’ve never once turned airplane mode on while I’ve used my phone or iPad to fly. I’ve even closed the app to make a call and reopened it and continued flying.

If you wanted to, you could fly the drone all day without ever opening the DJI app. It merely serves as an informational layout and video feed.

Reactions: ff22
Excellent answer, Bmwiam and, you joined the forum on my birfday. :)
Hahaha. Thanks man. Sometimes people don’t think about what they are saying before they say it. I’m quite sure DJI did extensive testing with phone and iPad signals before they released a *drone made to be used with a phone connected to the RC*. And Happy Belated! Lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica