DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Cellular Data Necessary

Kent Lewis

Reactions
My wife is getting a new phone and I am going to take her old iPhone 7 and dedicate it to drone use instead of using my regular iPhone. What do I miss out on if I don’t pay for a new cell line in order to have cellular data in the field?

Reactions: old man mavic
My wife is getting a new phone and I am going to take her old iPhone 7 and dedicate it to drone use instead of using my regular iPhone. What do I miss out on if I don’t pay for a new cell line in order to have cellular data in the field?
That is a good question. I am planning to do the same. I operate in airplane mode after reading that this is a good idea. So technically you don't need cell phone coverage while flying. To get software and firmware updates you can use wifi. Lets see if the other mavic pilots have more to add.
safe flying

Reactions: Mavic Mini
you wont get phone calls ,and maps ,unless you pre load them at home and you want to remove as much as you can in way of apps, and any stored data from the phone to allow the CPU to handle the amount of usage the DJI apps need

Maps are the only thing you'll lose but you can download them before hand if you know where you are going to be flying.
I am not sure if looking at the map of the intended site using the app's map whilst at home with wifi etc. works as a download mechanism but it can be done somehow.

Yes, you can download the maps of any areas you want on Google map, but .... only the road maps. Satellite views, sadly, can't be downloaded. if you do require satellite views, you will need a data service.

Reactions: Capt KO
My iPad mini 5 and iPhone 6se and iPhone 8 all don’t have cell or data service,I fly with all my dji drones fine using GO and Litchi as well. If for some reason I need internet for one of them when I’m out and about, I start my Samsung S8’s hotspot and they connect to it for internet. Easy peazy

Reactions: sarniac and DougMcC
What about requesting an authority text message to fly in a restricted zone, do you not need cell service for that?

What about requesting an authority text message to fly in a restricted zone, do you not need cell service for that?
No you'll need cell service at least hear in the US unless your calling 911 you dont need cell service here for that

Thanks all. Looks like I need to try it out for a while. I like Cadbob’s idea of using another phone as a hotspot if necessary.

You'll; only need cellular service if you plan on flying in either a Restricted Zone (red on the GOE map) or Authorization Zone (blue on the GEO map). You'll need it to unlock in a Restricted zone, and verify in an Authorization zone.

I run into this frequently with my CrystalSky monitor. That is my go to monitor. But I also have a 10.5" iPad with cellular service that's dedicated to flying and mapping. For my mini I have my former iPhone 7. Just yesterday I has to fly in a 0'AGL UASFM grid and it was an Authorization zone. I used my 10.5" iPad instead of my CS just to make it quick.

Usually if I need to fly with the CS or iPhone 7, I set up a hotspot on my current iPhone.

You won’t have maps which others have said. This is something others will have more knowledge than me but what if you loose the drone, without data and maps will you be able to find it using the Flyapp. !!!!!!

You just have to cashe your maps but other than that, not a problem.

WDK

Reactions: PSagan
Open FLY before you leave your property and zoom to area your flying, (most case's your somewhat local 50 mile radius say, there is no need as maps have been cached already from previous flights) than shut down and fly and have fun. Your map will load before you fly and homepoint set. No Need for cellular! LOL been doing this 5+ yrs like that. If I'm in restricted zone and need permission than get on internet via hotspot. Save yourself $$$, lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000