DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is image/video quality improvement noticeable going from Air 2 to 2S?

As title says, Is image/video quality improvement noticeable going from Air 2 to 2S? I have searched and haven't come across any good objective comparisons.
Yes, on a proper 4K monitor the difference is noticeable. However for me, I find the Air 2 footage easier to color correct and make look more appealing, and you don't need to think about focus while flying. The Air 2S has a slightly magenta tint, which makes it harder to color correct, especially its more flat D-Log profile, compared to D-Cinelike on the Air 2.
The 60FPS mode on the Air 2S does crop in, which is pretty annoying, this doesn't happen on the Air 2.

For photos, the Mavic Air 2 48MP mode is better in my opinion than the regular 24MP on the Air 2S. However I found myself almost never using the 48MP mode on the Air 2, because the photo is just way too big to upload to social media. On the Air 2S there is the additional benefit of AEB mode in 24MP, however there is no 48MP on the Air 2S, but its 24MP mode is almost as good.
Editing 24MP raw photos, especially AEB 5 pictures takes some processing power, I needed to upgrade my computer to be able to edit Air 2S shots.

An added benefit of the Air 2 is its HDR Video mode, it looks very good straight out of camera, but with a bit of editing in DaVinci Resolve, the video will look even better! Sometimes it is noisy in very contrasty scenes or in dark environments, but not that often.

When talking about Night Photos and Videos, Air 2S seems better, especially in videos with lower frame rates. Photos are better with larger sensor as well, however you can achieve as good results with the Air 2 using Long Exposure (this doesn't work in windy environments).

Reactions: nicefromabove
Thanks for the reply! I was hoping to come across something like DPreview in-depth reviews that they have for cameras, but for drones (see Sony a7 IV review for example of what I'm talking about).

I have only found these so far (will update this thread as I find more):

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji