DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it a bad idea to fly the Mavic from a roof of a building in the middle of downtown?

I don't think that MP owners are magically immune from dumb.
I was assuming it was technical failure. And yes, MPs have their own issues. I'm taking some liberties for the sake of humor. It's a good thing the FAA hasn't issued any guidance against that (humor).

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

It's my understanding that flying over people is not allowed unless they are part of the operation.

If you're flying it at 300 feet over your own head and suddenly the video link goes wild because a propeller has flown off, you have about 4.33 seconds before your Mavic falls on your head.

Reactions: Slayerstwin
This is definitely a dangerous endeavor. The Mavic is essentially a vehicle and can be just as deadly if you think about it.

When automobiles first became mainstream there were hundreds of traffic accidents until society had time to develop and infrastructure(stop signs, speed limits, driver's license etc.) which allowed safe use cars. Also, there are no regulatory authority ensuring the mechanical integrity of these drones, thus you ultimately I are crossing your fingers that DJI "got it right" every time you fly this thing so that it does not fall from the sky. That is quite a bit of unmitigated risk which would be hard to defend in a negligence law suit. I realize drone to car analogy may seem absurd and exaggerated but helps to highlight the reality that there are minimal laws, quality controls, licensing, or general safe guards in place to govern the industry.

Those on these forums who insist on being a self appointed authority to scold pilots that "ruin it for the rest of us" are truly delusional to think that this will stop or slow down drone legislation.

^^All that being said- everything in life is a risk. 99.9999999% chance the mavic will function as intended and you will get some great shots. I would so go for it dude. Live a little. I have flow in several downtowns both the ground and from the top of parking garages and buildings and have gotten great shots.

Fair point. I think I will just raise the drone up vertically so even if it falls it falls on the roof.... more than losing $1000 I'm afraid of a lawsuit, or worse....

Bad idea. Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons not directly participating in the operation.

I assume the middle of a downtown is full of people not participating in the operation unless you somehow convince everyone at the same time and place to be a visual observer, then you should be fine.

What does FAA authoritative literature say about flying over folks?
It specifically says (quoting), "Never fly over groups of people"

My interpretation from this phrase is that it is referring to (1) more than three people (2) people who do not have anything protecting them overhead. That is, if you were to fly a drone over a 1 story building, even though there may be "groups of people" inside, and technically you are "over" them, that would not break with the FAA's interpretation of the regulation. Likewise, flying over your own head or over cars also do not constitute breaks with the regulation. Now, if you do something stupid and hurt someone... this is America and you can be held to account. But now we're just talking about hypotheticals and society in general at that point and anyone who wags their finger citing the FAA as the source of their authority on those matters would be far out of their element and just posturing.

Reactions: Daddy
If you have to ask this question then you are probably the wrong type of person to own a UAV.

Those on these forums who insist on being a self appointed authority to scold pilots that "ruin it for the rest of us" are truly delusional to think that this will stop or slow down drone legislation.

^^All that being said- everything in life is a risk. 99.9999999% chance the mavic will function as intended and you will get some great shots. I would so go for it dude. Live a little. I have flow in several downtowns both the ground and from the top of parking garages and buildings and have gotten great shots.[/QUOTE]

Father knows best! So tired of the airholes.

Since i got my mavic ive been flying it from the roof of my building. I live 3 blocks from the beach (yes, its a pretty awesome view). I get amazing pictures and vids of the tropical scenery.

I fly above and not all the way around buildings. I do get constant msgs about the wind being too strong and some interference, but thats about it. I try to fly within an area a know quite well. And no, i dont stalk.

Ive got the drone registered with the FAA, but dont have any license to "fly" it.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Well, first of all check if its legal to fly in that area.
Then my advice check you transmission channel from your controller to the craft, chose a channel with low noise. Urban environment is dangerous due to all the wifi and multiple radio signals.
Also survey before flying check any cables, power lines, etc. You will be surprised where some cables are .
Never flight behind a building , obstacle blocking your LOS.

Who says he even did it yet! People are so quick to blow up and have an attitude about something, chill out. Now if he has already done it and is doing it that's one thing. Sounds like he is being somewhat responsible and at least asking if it's a good idea before he does it. This forum is for help and advice and he sounds like he is asking for advice. It's people like YOU who make people not want to get on these forums and ask. We need to educate people not belittle them, just my two cent.

He already did skippy

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I think people should learn all the relevant facts before they start chastising the guy. People around here are way to quick to point out FAA rules when more than a few members here are from countries other than the US. Granted, he finally did reveal he's in the US but this was after people started in on him.

Perhaps he has his 107 which would allow him to leagally fly 400 feet higher than the buildings. There are people who get their 107 prior to owning a drone in which case they SHOULD know UAS laws but not be well versed in the technical capability of their drone such as the effect of flying from a rooftop.

Good idea.... I think I'm gonna go straight up and come down.

You probably should go fly away from the city until you have some sharp skills and most importantly, experience with the Mavic. You need to see or at least read about what to do when bad things happen. For example, what is the properly response when a RTH is initiated and the drone is returning towards the sun or even flying into the sun?

It's people like you with the AH who gives a s%it attitude that get us bigger fines more stupid rules and less places to fly!!!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Cut him some slack, he specifically came to the forum to ask for advice regarding the rules and safety. That sounds responsible, not reckless. Let's keep this a productive discussion. Your attitude is unwarranted.

Reactions: cobra46
Cut him some slack, he specifically came to the forum to ask for advice regarding the rules and safety. That sounds responsible, not reckless. Let's keep this a productive discussion. Your attitude is unwarranted.

6605b6f013c91428880b6141f1b323cf.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using MavicPilots mobile app

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock