DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it good to have the latest firmware if using Litchi

Storyline

Reactions
I have just installed Litchi and as soon as the app loads it warns you to make sure you have the latest firmware on the aircraft and controller.

Is this a good idea as I am one firmware version back from the latest one on my Mavic Pro ?

Edit : I have actually just updated my firmware as I am considering going back anyway at some point so I can get FCC mode. I will leave this post in place as I could not find an answer when I searched the forums and any replies from knowledgeable pilots may be useful to other new Litchi users.

Last edited:
I have just installed Litchi and as soon as the app loads it warns you to make sure you have the latest firmware on the aircraft and controller.

Is this a good idea as I am one firmware version back from the latest one on my Mavic Pro ?

Edit : I have actually just updated my firmware as I am considering going back anyway at some point so I can get FCC mode. I will leave this post in place as I could not find an answer when I searched the forums and any replies from knowledgeable pilots may be useful to other new Litchi users.

No I do not believe so. many here are backing up GO4 to a much earlier version and using Litchi.
Myself I backed GO4 to XXXXXX .16 and have no issues with Litchi.
Most likely Litchi will have updates that marry up with the latest GO4 programs but should have no issues (that I have seen or experienced) throwing back to an olds version of GO4
Hope that helps some
mikemoose55

Hi Mike
It was the aircraft & controller firmware that was mentioned on the Litchi nag screen. I am not sure about Go but I have the latest version of that and for me it did fix a couple of issues.
Cheers
Paul

Hi Mike
It was the aircraft & controller firmware that was mentioned on the Litchi nag screen. I am not sure about Go but I have the latest version of that and for me it did fix a couple of issues.
Cheers
Paul
Hi Paul
I am at least three versions behind , (i quit keeping track) in the firmware also on the drone and controller. Purposely backed this up from APK site as i was having some issues with an update I was foolish enough to trust .
Everybody I talk to and inparticular a guy I know who has a jumping video business and works for the area FAA certified test center here in the colonies strongly suggests to not update you stuff if it is working OK.
Last I knew he had 2 Inspires and a phantom pro and other brands in the hanger so he is pretty familiar with the DJI stuff.
hope this helps....Cheers
mikemoose55

Hi Mike - yes I agree with the if it ain't broke, don't fix it strategy. I have been having problems with my Home Point settings so I want to make sure I have the latest firmware so if they continue I can contact DJI. For some reason I can only get normal behaviour if I am online but find it hard to believe it is a hardware issue. I have not had the chance to try the Mavic with the app, controller and aircraft all up to date but hope to later today. I am also much more relaxed about the whole firmware issue now I have found out about Dumldore ;) I don't know if there is much variation between individual aircraft but mine is just incredibly stable. I have read others complain about mild drifting but in low winds mine will hover to within 6" or less. Should I get worse performance with this new app/controller/aircraft firmware combo then I can easily go back to where I was.

Hi Mike - yes I agree with the if it ain't broke, don't fix it strategy. I have been having problems with my Home Point settings so I want to make sure I have the latest firmware so if they continue I can contact DJI. For some reason I can only get normal behaviour if I am online but find it hard to believe it is a hardware issue. I have not had the chance to try the Mavic with the app, controller and aircraft all up to date but hope to later today. I am also much more relaxed about the whole firmware issue now I have found out about Dumldore ;) I don't know if there is much variation between individual aircraft but mine is just incredibly stable. I have read others complain about mild drifting but in low winds mine will hover to within 6" or less. Should I get worse performance with this new app/controller/aircraft firmware combo then I can easily go back to where I was.

Paul
Glad you are getting this worked out. Your experience it seems is very much what I found with my MP
Funny you mention stability of the aircraft. My Pro is very stable even is some pretty stiff wind HOWEVER at one point after a firmware update the darn thing had , as the boys from Liverpool would say , the hippy hippy shake. It truley moved to the left then moved to the right it just keep oscillating several inches while in a hover. Pi$$ed me off but it was instantly solved with a back up of the firmware. BTW are you familiar with the APK Mirror site where you can get back to older versions of the firm ware.

DJI has a great product line but it seems not to be a straight line so to speak. It comes down to you and me to straighten out the kinks and bends that seem to be ongoing.
I have not had an ounce of trouble since I backed up my firmware and quit taking GO4 updates.
I am not the kind of pilot that needs to have the latest little add on that might be in the latest update.
I am happy if I can go out burn up 4 batteries in a session and work on my video and photo elements.
My thought is when you get your MP to the point where you don.t get any surprises when you fire it up just go fly it and let the latest and greatest updates slide on by.
Cheers and many happy air hours
mikemoose55

Hi Mike, yes i did see the site for old app apk's so know i can go back. I am a bit concerned that I may have a problem with geofencing when I next try to fly. The version of the app and the firmware I last flew with used to put up a warning about controlled air space. It allowed me to take off if I confirmed that I was aware of the restrictions. Yesterday when I updated the firmware on the Mavic it downloaded a new version of the Flysafe database (think it said that) before loading the firmware so am not sure what effect it will have. I am just a couple of miles away from an airport but not on the flight path and of course I stay low. When I last looked I was in the green caution circle as shown on a DJI fly zone map. Hopefully DJI will have now moved on to the Mavic 2 and will leave us Mavic users alone !

Hi Mike, yes i did see the site for old app apk's so know i can go back. I am a bit concerned that I may have a problem with geofencing when I next try to fly. The version of the app and the firmware I last flew with used to put up a warning about controlled air space. It allowed me to take off if I confirmed that I was aware of the restrictions. Yesterday when I updated the firmware on the Mavic it downloaded a new version of the Flysafe database (think it said that) before loading the firmware so am not sure what effect it will have. I am just a couple of miles away from an airport but not on the flight path and of course I stay low. When I last looked I was in the green caution circle as shown on a DJI fly zone map. Hopefully DJI will have now moved on to the Mavic 2 and will leave us Mavic users alone !

I dumped all that junk, never use it. I go here on my computer at home or my phone in the field and review the aeronatical charts to see what kind of trouble I can get into. SKYVECTOR SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts
it is a world wide systen so you for instance can view the charts for Heathrow here
SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts
the less junk I have popping up on my screen the happier I am:D
mikemoose55

Actually when I think about it the warning came up on the Go app so maybe Litchi will ignore it. I had downloaded some safe fly zone apps but have deleted them all. The problem with Android is that sometimes there is no actual way to completely uninstall an app and have your device in the exact same state it was before you installed it.

Also, I meant to say when I saw your hippy hippy shake comment that the airport I am near to is Liverpool !

Last edited:
Actually when I think about it the warning came up on the Go app so maybe Litchi will ignore it. I had downloaded some safe fly zone apps but have deleted them all. The problem with Android is that sometimes there is no actual way to completely uninstall an app and have your device in the exact same state it was before you installed it.

Also, I meant to say when I saw your hippy hippy shake comment that the airport I am near to is Liverpool !
More talent from Liverpool....got to be something in the water

More talent from Liverpool .....got to be something in the water

Reactions: Storyline
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki