DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it legal to fly around a Nuclear Power Plant

daverich4

Reactions
After I got my drone last Christmas I DL’d B4UFly. Now that app is no longer working I’ve DL’d AutoPylot & Avision. The McGuire Nuclear Power Plant is just down the road from me and all three apps give the thumbs up to flying there with no restrictions. They show restrictions in other areas such as the Charlotte Airport but not at McGuire. I find that hard to believe but I’m fairly new at this so thought I’d ask. Not that I have any intention of flying there, just wonder what’s legal.

View this map

Last edited:
Reactions: sarahb
You don't want to fly there
The Federal Aviation Administration issued a Notice to Airmen in 2004 advising private pilots to avoid airspace over nuclear power plants; this notice was later revised to include drone overflights. In late 2019, the nuclear industry began coordinating with the Department of Energy and the FAA to explore the possibility of restricting drone overflights of nuclear power plants.
The NRC asks nuclear power plant licensees to voluntarily report any sightings of drones over their protected areas. The NRC relays this information to state and local authorities, the FAA and the FBI. Nuclear power plant security forces do not have authority to attempt to interdict or shoot down aircraft flying over their facilities. This includes drones.

You don't want to fly there
The Federal Aviation Administration issued a Notice to Airmen in 2004 advising private pilots to avoid airspace over nuclear power plants; this notice was later revised to include drone overflights. In late 2019, the nuclear industry began coordinating with the Department of Energy and the FAA to explore the possibility of restricting drone overflights of nuclear power plants.
The NRC asks nuclear power plant licensees to voluntarily report any sightings of drones over their protected areas. The NRC relays this information to state and local authorities, the FAA and the FBI. Nuclear power plant security forces do not have authority to attempt to interdict or shoot down aircraft flying over their facilities. This includes drones.
I have no intention of flying there or anywhere near it but your post makes it sound like technically it wouldn’t be illegal to do so? If that’s the case I’m sort of surprised it’s not.

When i click on the link I get a map of the United States. Am I looking for something specific? Thanks.

Me too.

Maybe the link is outdated or the servers are down??

But yeah, nothing to see here.

BTW, welcome to the Forum daverich4 from The Crossroads of America.

If you've got an inch, here's a video from YouTuber Ken Herron flying a decommissioned nuclear power plant several years ago.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: daverich4
After I got my drone last Christmas I DL’d B4UFly. Now that app is no longer working I’ve DL’d AutoPylot & Avision. The McGuire Nuclear Power Plant is just down the road from me and all three apps give the thumbs up to flying there with no restrictions. They show restrictions in other areas such as the Charlotte Airport but not at McGuire. I find that hard to believe but I’m fairly new at this so thought I’d ask. Not that I have any intention of flying there, just wonder what’s legal.
thats just great!!!😁

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's no map that I am aware of that restricts the area above all nuclear plants as a no-fly zones. Upon checking for TFR, I don't see any in the area either. But you have this: https://www.faa.gov/uas/critical_infrastructure

And don't forget, there is likely state law (whether is it valid or legal or not) which will could say drones are not allowed to fly over critical infrastructure so if you do, you can expect the police to come find you IMO.

It may or may not be illegal but they if they see you They will call someone and that someone will get your name and report you You just may end up getting your nasty letter from the FAA maybe.

When i click on the link I get a map of the United States. Am I looking for something specific? Thanks.
Enter an address in the search box, you will see the Air space restrictions

Reactions: sarahb and MA2 317
Legal? Technically, as of right now, it appears to be "LEGAL" but you can bet your bottom dollar you'll get some "visitors" and they aren't going to be happy.

Keep in mind that even if it's legal they are going to frown upon it heavily and most likely make your visit and future free-time uncomfortable. Odds are they can eventually find something that will "stick" . . . .

Enter an address in the search box, you will see the Air space restrictions
Thanks, when I put in the address I get the same no restrictions response that the apps return. I’m surprised at that but as I have no intention of flying there I guess it doesn’t really matter. Thanks again.

Regardless of 'legal' or not... in this current knee-jerk political climate: I'd be thinking about the reaction the flyer of a DJI bird (evil commie spy drone) would get aimed at them, especially by the security teams associated with critical *nuclear* infrastructure.

Reactions: Cafguy and Rchawks
It may or may not be illegal but they if they see you They will call someone and that someone will get your name and report you You just may end up getting your nasty letter from the FAA maybe.

Saying what, exactly? Enjoy your legal flight over the site? If you do it again we'll send you another letter threatening no consequences for lawful activity?

I understand the NOTAM, but if the airspace has not been restricted (which would be indicated on sectionals), this amounts to gubmint harassment. Don't fly over Joe's house... he doesn't like it.

That said, i do think airspace over and around nuke plants should be restricted. Perhaps a radius 1000ft beyond the site perimeter.

One valid reason why I would avoid such area is due to the amount of electricity they make, there may be interference between the controller and your drone - with possible loss of the drone.

I have a very close relative who goes to nuclear plants regularly and I have been told they take their security very seriously, as does the NRC and the Federal government.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr0nk3rt