DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it legal to fly around a Nuclear Power Plant

Saying what, exactly? Enjoy your legal flight over the site? If you do it again we'll send you another letter threatening no consequences for lawful activity?

I understand the NOTAM, but if the airspace has not been restricted (which would be indicated on sectionals), this amounts to gubmint harassment. Don't fly over Joe's house... he doesn't like it.

That said, i do think airspace over and around nuke plants should be restricted. Perhaps a radius 1000ft beyond the site perimeter.
The first time you bust an FAA reg by mistake and if it gets reported by someone, The FAA will send you a very scary sounding letter telling you of the offense and that you need to be more careful etc...This was your one warning letter! The next letter will state that you have made your third strike and will include a fine that you must pay. I for one would not want to waste my one warning letter by flying next to a place that could be restricted. Best to save it for a true mistake. By the way if the FAA thinks that what you did was intentional or you caused damage to persons or property you will get an appointment date with your first letter.

Last edited:
The first time you bust an FAA reg by mistake and if it gets reported by someone, The FAA will send you a very scary sounding letter telling you of the offense and that you need to be more careful etc...This was your one warning letter! The next letter will state that you have made your third strike and will include a fine that you must pay. I for one would not want to waste my one warning letter by flying next to a place that could be restricted. Best to save it for a true mistake. By the way if the FAA thinks that what you did was intentional or you caused damage to persons or property you will get an appointment date with your first letter.

Is there a policy statement defining that? Anything official? Or is it a casual observation?

Reactions: Cafguy
Or is it a casual observation?
this and our RC club has had attorneys and faa people speak at our safety meetings this is my take on everything they have told us. plus now with RID they know pretty quickly if you are a past violator.
I have never received a letter from the FAA for violations so there's that.

Last edited:
Having worked at a nuclear plant for 27 years, I can tell you that they take their security very, very seriously. We've investigated kites flying over our 500-kv & 161-kv switchyards, so I know that a drone flying over the plant would attract attention that you wouldn't want to get.

The first time you bust an FAA reg by mistake and if it gets reported by someone, The FAA will send you a very scary sounding letter telling you of the offense and that you need to be more careful etc...This was your one warning letter!

I know all this, @Cafguy! That's only meaningful if you "bust an FAA reg". As linked by Al in post #11, it is not illegal, and my question was predicated on that.

So the question stands. If you are legal to fly somewhere, just exactly what is the FAA or any authority going to discuss with you?

Harassing you simply because they don't like it is illegal in and of itself.

As I said, I think it should be illegal. That doesn't give the fed the license to intimidate you.

this and our RC club has had attorneys and faa people speak at our safety meetings this is my take on everything they have told us. plus now with RID they know pretty quickly if you are a past violator.
I have never received a letter from the FAA for violations so there's that.

The key here is "violator". From what's been posted in this thread, it appears (confoundingly) that it is no violation to fly around a nuclear power vacility.

Having worked at a nuclear plant for 27 years, I can tell you that they take their security very, very seriously. We've investigated kites flying over our 500-kv & 161-kv switchyards, so I know that a drone flying over the plant would attract attention that you wouldn't want facility.

No, harassing and intimidating private citizens engaging in legal activities is illegal by either private or public authorities, and can attract unwanted legal and PR attention for them.

Nuclear facilities should, for the purposes airspace management, be treated like prisons. NFZ. in my view, even more sensitively than that: An NFZ that extends 1 mile out around the perimeter.

But that's not the way it is today, and no one has any business messing with a private citizen simply legally enjoying her hobby.

Unfortunately, this also protects the Iranian spy planning a catastrophic failure of the facility, which is why it should be illegal.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
From the FAA webpage:
Drones are prohibited from flying over designated national security sensitive facilities. Operations are prohibited from the ground up to 400 feet above ground level, and apply to all types and purposes of UAS flight operations. Examples of these locations are:

Military bases designated as Department of Defense facilities
National landmarks, such as Statue of Liberty, Hoover Dam, Mt. Rushmore
Certain critical infrastructure, such as nuclear power plants

Emphasis mine

Reactions: tstr14
From the FAA webpage:
Drones are prohibited from flying over designated national security sensitive facilities. Operations are prohibited from the ground up to 400 feet above ground level, and apply to all types and purposes of UAS flight operations. Examples of these locations are:

Military bases designated as Department of Defense facilities
National landmarks, such as Statue of Liberty, Hoover Dam, Mt. Rushmore
Certain critical infrastructure, such as nuclear power plants

Emphasis mine
The problem is that unless I missed it, that NPP is NOT identified as a National Security Sensitive Facility (even though it SHOULD be as noted above).

Here's the current map and the area noted is clearly Not Restricted for some strange reason.

1730063069709.png

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It appears that in Canada this pilot ran into a geofence at the 7:30 mark.

If someone here is going to try, I hope they tell us in advance. I'd like to set up some chairs and bring some popcorn.
I wouldn't fly there myself but the problem is what happens when a huge water filtration plant or a chemical processing plant that someone believes rises to the level of importance. In Texas, literally everything is critical infrastructure and I believe there is a drone law for it. I get what Texas is trying to say but how will a drone flyer know for sure if there is no valid FAA restriction?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wforakerjr