DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are the rules for flying near a small, untowered, small aircraft, municipal airport with no circle or altitude squares mapped around it.

StevenBrodsky

Reactions
I haven't done my research about flying near small airports. Maps only show the airport, but it has no circle or altitude restriction squares near it on those maps. All I have done so far, is use LAANC to get cleared to fly across the blue landing and take off strip on the map every 2 days or so. I was flying across the zone so often at one point, that I had DJI clear the Geo zone for me for one year.

Reactions: Cafguy
I haven't done my research about flying near small airports. Maps only show the airport, but it has no circle or altitude restriction squares near it on those maps. All I have done so far, is use LAANC to get cleared to fly across the blue landing and take off strip on the map every 2 days or so. I was flying across the zone so often at one point, that I had DJI clear the Geo zone for me for one year.
Check the FAA UAS Map

Reactions: Ancient Aviator
NORTH PALM BEACH COUNTY GENERAL AVIATION AIRPORT. It has a diagram, but no circle or altitude restriction squares.

I just looked. The airport location is named, but all it shows is a road going there and nothing else whatsoever. It doesn't even show the airports layout.
Then you should be fine to fly

Reactions: TonyPHX
From the Folks at ALOFT
It’s still good information but I thought B4UFly had been replaced with Aloft Air Aware as the FAA recommended app. Please correct me if I’m wrong as I don’t want to spread bad information.

As long as you are in class G airspace you just have to avoid other aircraft and ”fly with caution” Which is the only restriction I get before flying. I do this frequently at an airport nearby and avoid flying when I see other aircraft in the area. If aircraft come into the area, I land and don’t resume flying until the area is aircraft free. I am also a private pilot and have an aircraft based here. The only exception you may have, is if there are local ordinances prohibiting or regulating drone usage.

Last edited:
Looking at the chart below, North Palm Beach County General Aviation Airport (F45) appears to be non-towered, however lies right on a dashed magenta line indicating, per the FAA Aeronautical Chart User Guide, Class E Airspace down to the surface, and thus would be considered within controlled airspace. Kind of splitting hairs here...because without a magnified view to see where the magenta dashed line actually bisects the airport it's difficult to determine...however I'd error to the side of conservatism, and consider it "Surface Type E2" Class E Airspace controlled to the surface, and thus requiring permission to fly from the FAA. But I've been wrong before!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 08.26.10.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 08.26.10.png
    800.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 08.39.00.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 08.39.00.png
    427.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 09.16.49.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 09.16.49.png
    484.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: Cafguy and RangerEd
Looking at the chart below, North Palm Beach County General Aviation Airport (F45) appears to be non-towered, however lies right on a dashed magenta line indicating, per the FAA Aeronautical Chart User Guide, Class E Airspace down to the surface, and thus would be considered within controlled airspace. Kind of splitting hairs here...because without a magnified view to see where the magenta dashed line actually bisects the airport it's difficult to determine...however I'd error to the side of conservatism, and consider it "Surface Type E2" Class E Airspace controlled to the surface, and thus requiring permission to fly from the FAA. But I've been wrong before!!

I erred in my original reply and corrected it. I meant to say class G airspace, not E which is controlled. Sorry about that

Thanks Everyone for responding. If anyone else feels the need to chime in feel free to do so.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne