DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it posible for me to fly my drone in the winter?

I flew all winter with my Mavic Air. As cold as -17f
Cold Temperature test of the DJI Mavic Air at Portage Glacier Alaska

As others have said keep the batteries warm and keep an eye on their temp once you are flying. I found that if I flew too fast the batteries would start to cool down at those temps. Keeping them around or above 20c is a good target.

Cheers

Reactions: Inspirephil
Rather than worrying about the aircraft, RC, batteries, I worry more about me in the cold weather. Flying gloves that allow me to use the touchscreen are a must have for flying in the cold winter months.

I recently flew a few times on a day when it was -10F. I made sure all batteries were charged and warm. Only flew for a max of 15 minutes at a time. The only issue was rhe gimble not functioning when flying sideways. I didn't go too high or very far away. I flew yesterday at 6F with no issues.

Rather than worrying about the aircraft, RC, batteries, I worry more about me in the cold weather. Flying gloves that allow me to use the touchscreen are a must have for flying in the cold winter months.
Right, almost forgot about that, but that was my biggest issue when flying in winter, I almost stopped feeling my fingers and phone screen kept refusing register my clicks.
Btw. I've also flown for about ten minutes when it was mildly snowing, after landing the drone was a bit wet and remote also wet. While there were no issues and everything is still working I would not take the risk again.

Right, almost forgot about that, but that was my biggest issue when flying in winter, I almost stopped feeling my fingers and phone screen kept refusing register my clicks.
Btw. I've also flown for about ten minutes when it was mildly snowing, after landing the drone was a bit wet and remote also wet. While there were no issues and everything is still working I would not take the risk again.
I'll fly in any kind of cold we get here but snow and rain never, I'm too chicken for that.
Cheers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardomavic